Parts For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

FS: Oldsmobile steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old June 21st, 2012, 09:40 PM

FS: Oldsmobile steering wheel

SOLD!

Excellent condition asking $50 + shipping

Should fit Oldsmobile cars 78-85

IMG_20120621_233055.jpg

Last edited by Lady72nRob71; July 17th, 2012 at 08:42 PM. Reason: item sold
Old June 22nd, 2012, 07:58 AM

Dude, that looks nice! Almost the color of the one in my '86 that is all cracked!
How does the photo picture color compare to the real color? In the picture it looks a little darker than mine...
How does it compare with this one?

However I am still pretty interested! Let me know!!
Old June 23rd, 2012, 07:38 PM

Dude, we were off on the color analysis on your wheel being a "bit darker".
How about - RIGHT ON!

I am stoked! Now i will have a steery wheel that will not give me lacerations while driving! Added woodgrain to boot!
With as lousy as my luck usually is, this worked out perfectly. Just hope it fits on the shaft now...
It was great to meet you and see the Delta. Wonderful condition it is!
Thank you!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_3865.jpg (70.2 KB, 208 views)
IMG_3863.jpg (69.6 KB, 218 views)
Old June 23rd, 2012, 07:47 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Nice score Rob! I like the new one better than the old one. Just going to have to remember not to hit the middle pad when ya want to honk the horn.

You should have no issues with the splines on the wheel fitting your car. Fully interchangeable.

A man on a fast horse would never spot the difference between the burl on the wheel and straight grain on the dash. BTW, what's with all the towels on your front seat?
Old June 23rd, 2012, 07:48 PM

Nice! Very happy the color match went better then excepted......Should of known. Oldsmobile in those years didn't have a whole lot of different color options for the interior.

Perfect match!
Old June 23rd, 2012, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Nice score Rob! I like the new one better than the old one. Just going to have to remember not to hit the middle pad when ya want to honk the horn.

You should have no issues with the splines on the wheel fitting your car. Fully interchangeable.

A man on a fast horse would never spot the difference between the burl on the wheel and straight grain on the dash. BTW, what's with all the towels on your front seat?

Middle pad works with the horn aswell . Also it appears you might be able to switch the middle pad from your old wheel to new.

Last edited by DeltaDevil88; June 23rd, 2012 at 07:53 PM.
Old June 23rd, 2012, 08:11 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Yeah, but it wouldn't look nearly as nice. Good to know about that center pad.
Old June 23rd, 2012, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Yeah, but it wouldn't look nearly as nice. Good to know about that center pad.
Ehh it would prob just match a little better but none the less will look great.
Old June 23rd, 2012, 08:13 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Dude, is yo givin us de finga???
Old June 23rd, 2012, 08:17 PM

I like the new pad more, as mine has greened up for some reason..
I noticed the woodgarin difference earlier but I do not care.
My Cutlass is the standard version, where this fancy wheel would have been on the Brougham (luxury) version. My mom had one in her Brougham four door.

The interesting thing is both of these wheels came from cars with similar miles, both in TX, his being a year older. Mine has been garaged since 1990 and its wheel still cracked to heck. What gives?
Oh well, problem solved now. I will install that this fall, along with the rebuilt radio and give her an oil change. Then for the annual 250 mile trip!

Allan, I cannot help which finger is the longest!
Never noticed that til now...
Old June 24th, 2012, 01:29 AM

I like the new pad more, as mine has greened up for some reason..
I noticed the woodgarin difference earlier but I do not care.
My Cutlass is the standard version, where this fancy wheel would have been on the Brougham (luxury) version. My mom had one in her Brougham four door.

The interesting thing is both of these wheels came from cars with similar miles, both in TX, his being a year older. Mine has been garaged since 1990 and its wheel still cracked to heck. What gives?
Oh well, problem solved now. I will install that this fall, along with the rebuilt radio and give her an oil change. Then for the annual 250 mile trip!

Allan, I cannot help which finger is the longest!
Never noticed that til now...

Garage Queens make me sad
Old June 24th, 2012, 04:32 PM

Installed it today in just a few minutes. Looks and fits great!!
It was possible to use my original pad with this wheel (to be factory correct, I just would not have the center screw. However, I decided to use the upgraded pad with more horn button. In this city, your horn is extremely important.
I did not test it to see if the car would steer in the correct direction when turned, but let's just hope it will.

Now the off-color column is bugging me. She was almost stolen back in '97 but the the thugs were thwarted by the non-tilt column.
It was repaired under insurance but now I notice how lousy a color match they did. Oh, well. Glad to still have her. This is one of the reasons she would not be a good daily driver.
Attached Images
IMG_3871.jpg (75.5 KB, 179 views)
Old June 24th, 2012, 04:59 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Don't worry boudit~ What you need now is a nice stereo to fill that ugly hole in the center dash....
Old June 24th, 2012, 08:08 PM

Yep, the stereo is still on my workbench in the back room. I got a NOS one from a member on this forum and swapped in my old faceplate to keep the correct light colors. The old one had a main board issue where the clock display would come on and stay, draining the battery. Also the receiver would hash out when hot. So now I have this one ready to go in and also a spare that I fixed up from spare parts.
I turn it on now and then to make sure it is going to keep working. I will install it this fall before the big drive. Eventually i will make a radio repair thread...
Old June 25th, 2012, 09:08 PM

Looks great
Old June 25th, 2012, 09:31 PM

Yes it does - thanks again, sir!!
Old June 25th, 2012, 10:31 PM

That a 4-door? CLEAN interior...
Old July 17th, 2012, 02:07 AM

Is this steering wheel still for sale and would it fit a 1980 Oldsmobile Delta 88 4-Door Sedan? Does the tilt mechanism work through the steering wheel only or the steering column as well? The tilt mechanism has not worked for some time, and the steering wheel lock mechanism just gave out, and a small curved metal piece fell out on the floor of the car. I am not certain if that is from the lock mechanism, but it happened at about the same time. I am in California and these steering wheels are hard to come by. This 1985 version is different than the 1980 version, which cracked on the sides and has been down to the rim for some time. Is this steering wheel still available on the open market? How much is shipping for this steering wheel? The price appears to be $50.00, but the shipping price was not posted. Could you let me know what that is and if it is still available. The steering column plastic cover is cracked, but I do not know what it is like underneath. The current original steering wheel does work, but does not tilt anymore, and as of today, does not lock anymore. Please help if you know of where a steering wheel is if yours has been sold already.
Old July 17th, 2012, 02:44 AM

It was not clear if it had been sold. Let me know if it has been sold, and where I could get one of these if sold already. My original is down to the rim and does not tilt or lock anymore. I know there are universal kits, but would still like original equipment. It appears that the 1983-1985 Delta 88s had this different wheel, or was that just for the Brougham models? The 1980 in my family had a plastic wheel that cracked and chipped off. That was not good, and it went down to the ring or rim. Please inform if you still have this steering wheel.
Old July 17th, 2012, 08:23 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Jason - that steering wheel was sold to Rob Young. The pic in permalink 12 shows it installed on his car.

If you find another one - yes, most GM steering wheels from the 70's are interchangeable with product lines.
Old July 17th, 2012, 01:31 PM
Big Daddy No Bucks

Jason,

As already seen & said above ...

The wheel shown here has already been sold.

However, I may be able to help you if you are open to a different style.

I sent you a PM about it.

Anyone else that might specifically be seeking a medium brown Olds SW ... this is what I have.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...e-70s-t-t.html

Hopefully the OP doesn't mind my sharing that here.

If he still had his wheel for sale .....

I wouldn't even think of coming into his thread to plug mine.
Old July 17th, 2012, 08:42 PM

Jason, I marked the ad as sold. I shoulda done that long ago - shame on my laziness!

Originally Posted by lsutigers93
That a 4-door? CLEAN interior...
Thanks! No she is a 2 door. 69k miles...

Originally Posted by ThePackRat
Anyone else that might specifically be seeking a medium brown Olds SW ... this is what I have.

I had to think hard about getting this one but the color particularly the center) does seem a shade darker than my '86. True, this would look more at home in a 2 door with rally pac...
Old July 17th, 2012, 09:31 PM
Big Daddy No Bucks

I had to think hard about getting this one but the color particularly the center) does seem a shade darker than my '86. True, this would look more at home in a 2 door with rally pac...
It probably would have worked out ok.

1985 was the 1st year a full wrap one was available ... most likely that color was carry over color for 1986.

Anything involving different types of materials used ... pretty much never matches a true 100% anyway.

One could go down to any new car dealer tomorrow & witness a brand spanking new car coming off a truck ... & sure enough you can expect to see a slight mismatch between neighboring pieces made of different materials when you open the door.

Dash vs trim vs steering wheel vs steering wheel center vs air bags etc etc etc.

And remember ... that's a NEW car. That's pretty much the best match it's ever going to be.

Throw the natural aging process into the mix down the road ... & I'm sure different materials will hold/change color better than others.

I think the pic with both wheels sort of stacked on top of one another couldn't be a more perfect example of this phenomena if you tried.

Both wheels are clearly a pinch off in regards to the SW itself & the center section.

That's just the way it is.

With that said ... I should really be adding a premium to mine.

Sure the center cap might have been refinished ... but it's just different enough to look like it's exactly the way it came from the factory.

That pretty much makes me a GENIUS.

Even if purely by coincidence & accident.