1941 Oldsmobile 8 Steering Wheel/Horn Question

Search this Thread

Old July 13th, 2012, 12:47 PM

1941 Oldsmobile 8 Steering Wheel/Horn Question

Hey guys do any of you have a diagram or pictures of the horn assembly on the deluxe wheel for a 41 model year? I'm trying to hook the stock horn button up for a friend of mine on his car but I think we're missing some pieces. Right now his horn is wired to a toggle switch under the dash.

Right now I have just the wheel and the horn ring with button. Is there supposed to be some sort of spring loaded contact in the wheel that gets power somehow? Or is there supposed to be a wire hooked directly up to the horn ring? I don't see how that would work as it would get all twisted each time you turn the wheel.
Old July 13th, 2012, 01:50 PM

[QUOTE=RPMRestoAndCustom;427871]Hey guys do any of you have a diagram or pictures of the horn assembly on the deluxe wheel for a 41 model year?

Don't know how much this helps, but attached is a pic of the 1950 parts. There is a spring and post that goes into the steering wheel to complete the contact. The black sponge rubber parts act as a spring against the horn ring. You could also do a search on the Oldsmobile Club of America and National Antique Oldsmobile web sites for contact info for the applicable model year advisors and email them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Horn.jpg (59.0 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by Bobert; July 13th, 2012 at 01:52 PM.
Old July 13th, 2012, 02:11 PM

Bobert....I can probably fab a spring and contact....it rotates around the center hub with the wheel right?

The bigger question is how I hook up the wire for the horn button. The stock harness has a pigtail in the engine bay and that's all I have since there is nothing else coming from the column right now that I know of.
Old July 16th, 2012, 04:29 PM

Ok I'm almost there....I was able to find the clipped wire going up into the column so now I have power to the column. I also made a spring and plunger setup that brings power to the horn ring.

Now I'm just having a problem keeping the horn ring from constantly grounding out. Is the rubber sponge the key to keeping this this working properly? I feel like it's also grounding out on the steering shaft itself between the shaft, horn right, and nut.