Parts For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

Complete 70-72 Dual-Gate Console/Shifter Package,Restored

Search this Thread

Old March 18th, 2014, 08:11 PM

Complete 70-72 Dual-Gate Console/Shifter Package,Restored

This will likely be my last restored package like this,as I just don't have the time anymore.
This is a complete,restored,show-quality Hurst Dual Gate shifter & console assembly,for 70-72 Cutlass/442. For those that have not seen my consoles or packages,they can't get any nicer.The package includes a restored Hurst Dual Gate shifter assembly,rechromed handle,stainless slide plate,new top plate with the crappy wood grain removed,and the right wood grain installed,new cable,mounting brackets,and cable brackets.
Restored console,dyed any factory color,aluminum trims wet-sanded and polished to a mirror finish,console harness,extension harness,liners,front top plate,and console mounting brackets. Just specify year 70,71,or 72.
Price is $1300.00 for the complete package.
For those that have not been through this before,it will sound like a lot,but for those that have done it,you will have that much in it one way or another,unless you settle for less quality.
I also offer complete bucket seat/console conversions,with ALL of the pieces needed to convert a car from bench to buckets.Inquire.

Last edited by 507OLDS; March 18th, 2014 at 08:21 PM.
Old March 18th, 2014, 08:18 PM

I have seen Brians' work & can say it is VERY nice!
Old March 26th, 2014, 03:20 PM

I have 1970 Cutlass Supreme Convertible with bucket seats and A/T center console. I'd like to convert/replace the console to a Hurst dual gate. I'm not a fan of woodgrain and was wondering if the consoles can be provided without the woodgrain appliqués? Without the woodgrain appliqués, would it just be chrome (like the replacement instrument panel bezels you can get) or would have an "unfinished" look?
Old March 26th, 2014, 04:01 PM

The top plates can come without woodgrains,and the top plates are chromed all over,but there are mold impressions and other marks in them from production.
I wonder if a 1/4" thick or similar aluminum plate,cut to match the front top plate size,would be something better for you. It could be polished. The rear top plate would not be as bad without the woodgrain.
Old March 26th, 2014, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by HitTheHole
I have 1970 Cutlass Supreme Convertible with bucket seats and A/T center console. I'd like to convert/replace the console to a Hurst dual gate. I'm not a fan of woodgrain and was wondering if the consoles can be provided without the woodgrain appliqués? Without the woodgrain appliqués, would it just be chrome (like the replacement instrument panel bezels you can get) or would have an "unfinished" look?

Here's a couple pics of a typical "bare" Hurst Dual Gate Top Plate.....the woodgrain inserts haven't been glued on this one yet.

>The metal under the woodgrain isn't finished real smoothly....machining marks, etc from the manufacturing of the tooling.

>The metal/chrome on the exposed areas is a bit nicer but still has its share of factory defects....they didn't go to the "nth degree" on getting this stuff super slick originally.

>You could come up with your own ideas on a different type insert...brushed aluminum plate or some other type finish on the aluminum.

>You could take a nice top plate to a better rechrome shop and have them spend a good amount of time getting those areas under the woodgrain super slick and then have it rechromed.....the only limit there will be your checkbook...it CAN be done.

I could make you a couple brushed aluminum plate inserts if you are looking for a sort of "custom" look but you are probably capable of doing the same thing. I have the woodgrains here that I can use as a pattern for making something like that.

After that the Dual Gate Top Plate inserts will be different from the rest of your console insert (assuming you leave that in woodgrain) unless you change that as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_5173.JPG (44.7 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_5174.JPG (55.3 KB, 67 views)
Old March 27th, 2014, 04:37 AM

Thanks for the picture Patton.Since those areas get covered,they don't do any final finishing to them before plating. I did one some years ago with some brushed plates.It actually went in a 65,and I did the vertical lines to blend with the dash appearance.
Old April 4th, 2014, 07:20 PM

Can you please send me pics to cmyolds442@aol.com thanks a lot
Chris