Parts For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

BUYER BEWARE! John Theo, Newmarket, Ontario

Search this Thread

Old September 10th, 2011, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by 59-59-59
So you thought these were NOS? I would try to get my money back and invest in a pair of glasses or contact lenses
You are the one that needs the glasses as you apparently have a hard time reading.
Old September 10th, 2011, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by yeahbuddy
If you paid with PayPal you know they guarantee your money up to 90 days if you open a dispute? I always pay with PayPal because they act as security if everything goes wrong on either end.
Everybody, sorry about not posting back sooner about this very unfortunate situation. I appreciate the support and help with this. I already have a Paypal dispute/claim in process and have not heard anything yet. I was buying these grills for my W-31 but I would not install these on any car that I have even if somebody paid me to do it, they are absolutely useless to me! I am hoping John does the right thing here but you never know what somebody is going to do in a situation like this. I have someone that lives in Newmarket that I have done business with and he contacted me directly and knows John and said he was going to go and talk to him in person about this. Hopefully he can talk to him and get this resolved quickly. Again, thanks to everyone for your support!
Old September 11th, 2011, 12:09 AM

I wouldn't accept that either. I've done a few disputes with PayPal. In the end if he doesn't resolve it and you present your case and evidence to PayPal they reverse the transaction automatically. PayPal has really great protection against scammers like this. Goodluck.
Old September 11th, 2011, 09:01 AM

First off these parts are clearly misrepresented, and the buyer has every reason to be upset. It is discouraging to read about folks getting taken advantage of. That said, I am surprised at some of the correspondance on this thread.

Originally Posted by oldzy
mmm popcorn
LOL!!!!

Originally Posted by gearheads78
I'm with Patton on this one. Those belong on a beater or in the trash.
Really?!! I would have expected that your talents would have been up to a challenge of this calibre.

Originally Posted by 70Post
You are the one that needs the glasses as you apparently have a hard time reading.
Jeez man, So ANGRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old September 11th, 2011, 09:12 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Funkwagon455
Jeez man, So ANGRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That guy basically told him he was an idiot for having somebody else screw him, after he had clearly explained what had happened.

I'd be angry too.

- Eric
Old September 11th, 2011, 11:32 AM

The other sad thing is that many sellers (in addition to misrepresenting things as NOS), also do not even know what the word means. I have seen many things on EBAY that say NOS and the seller really means original GM used versus Repro. Not saying that is the case here, but some sellers intentionally misrepresent things and other sellers are plain stupid and do not know that NOS means New Old Stock, not used, rebuilt, repro, etc. I hope you get your money back as those look like crap.
Old September 11th, 2011, 12:23 PM

I notice ILT does that on eBay sometimes. 'NOS', 'NOSR' (did ILT coin that one or something?) etc in the title. One reason sellers do it for better 'search results', but is still shady IMO.

However, I recall seeing a Fusick ebay ad saying NOS, and thinking ok here is another shady ad... but it was actually NOS fenders for sale.
Old September 11th, 2011, 12:32 PM

Location: Orion Township Michigan 30 Miles North of the Murder City
Sounds like the episode I had with the guy from Oklahoma ..Brazilian something or other..
Old September 11th, 2011, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by 70Post
Understood Ken...thanks.

To me it's compromising with a thief (if the facts are as stated)......do that and the thief continues with the thieving. "Reputation"???---apparently not a concern or worry with this seller and he's already defined it if the facts are as stated.

Chad wanted NOS grilles for a nice project....these are parts/donor grilles or grilles that would take HOURS of work to rehab (at best).

Sorry about the rant but I've had a rash of pretty bad parts here lately that were supposedly "restored", rehabbed, etc before they were sold to customers or put on customer cars....it seems to almost be "the norm" these days.
I understand your point Patton. I was trying to give Rallye350 the benefit of the doubt until we heard his side of the story, however after this long and no response to what's been said here, perhaps your initial opinion is correct.

I've only been burnt once. In 1980, I sent $150 to a fellow in Los Angeles for some t-tops (from an ad in Hemmings). Never got the tops and never heard from him again. Phoned him a few times until he changed his number. His name was John Mino.
Old September 12th, 2011, 07:41 AM

His account has been suspended, that's why he has not posted. Not sure if it's that easy to get a new username?? I haven't been on here for a while.
Old September 12th, 2011, 07:54 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Do we know whether it was suspended in regard to this alleged incident, or for some other reason?

It seems to me as that if the Admins saw the evidence and thought it was believable, that would add credibility to Orange's story.

- Eric
Old September 12th, 2011, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Do we know whether it was suspended in regard to this alleged incident, or for some other reason?

It seems to me as that if the Admins saw the evidence and thought it was believable, that would add credibility to Orange's story.

- Eric
I'm assuming it's because of this. I have done business with rallye and orange for a while and I have talked to both, all I can say is I am really confused!! both are good guys!! I know that this has escalated at lightening speed (less than 24hrs- i think) and it's at his wife answering crank calls at 3 am.
I hope this gets settled very soon as they are both good peeps, so confused!!!
If anyone expects the seller to participate in the upmost, I would not post his family home info as this isn't helping orange either (I know you didn't post it orange)

Last edited by chuck_royle; September 12th, 2011 at 08:34 AM.
Old September 12th, 2011, 08:36 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

No, Orange didn't post it.

I assume it's been taken down by now, but, yeah, that's not cool, except in extreme cases, which this has not yet been shown to be.

I would very much like to hear that this has been straightened out, and that in the end everyone involved behaved like adults.

We'll see.

- Eric
Old September 12th, 2011, 09:02 AM

I met John and he seems like a very cool guy. Very nice and accomodating with information which is why I'm so surprised at this turn of events. Unfortunately the evidence does not look to good as those grilles are messed. I think that perhaps someone's earlier post about a misunderstanding of what NOS means could be the issue. As a newb I had no clue what that meant and googled to find out a few months back in addition to my bro explaining.

Last edited by atkinsom; September 12th, 2011 at 09:59 AM.
Old September 12th, 2011, 02:42 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by atkinsom
I met John and he seems like a very cool guy. Very nice and accomodating with information which is why I'm so surprised at this turn of events. Unfortunately the evidence does not look to good as those grilles are messed. I think that perhaps someone's earlier post about a misunderstanding of what NOS means could be the issue. As a newb I had no clue what that meant and googled to find out a few months back in addition to my bro explaining.
If the price mentioned is what was paid then he very well knew what NOS means.
Old September 12th, 2011, 04:03 PM

Definetely some No's in this NOS...
Old September 14th, 2011, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by chuck_royle
His account has been suspended, that's why he has not posted. Not sure if it's that easy to get a new username?? I haven't been on here for a while.
So it only takes someone to post something bad, whether true or not, and the accused is not allowed to post his side of the story because we suspended him? Talk about swift "justice".

Maybe it was deserved in this case, I don't know, but it sure seems easy to get someone banned around here without first hearing the other side. I don't know Rallye350 and have never met him or dealt with him, however I believe that if someone is accused of something, we should have at least listened to his explanation. Then after hearing what he had to say, if we called BS, we can suspend him. At least then we'd know we did the right thing.

Perhaps a better way would have been to hold his head under water for 10 minutes. If he lived, it would be obvious he had Satan's help, so we could then inflict punishment on him with a suspension, however if he died, I guess he wasn't guilty after all.....

Last edited by 442much; September 14th, 2011 at 11:24 PM.
Old September 15th, 2011, 02:55 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by 442much
So it only takes someone to post something bad, whether true or not, and the accused is not allowed to post his side of the story because we suspended him? Talk about swift "justice".
Except (and no offense to you intended by this) that this is not a democracy, and has no institutions that make any claims to justice, under the US, British, French, Sharia, Ecclesiastical, or any other system.

Online forums such as this tend to be autocracies or oligarchies, in spite of how democratic their discussions may feel, and if the Admins decide, based on whatever evidence they deem appropriate, that someone should be banned, they ban him. It's their sandbox, and they allow us to play in it, free of charge, at their pleasure.

- Eric
Old September 15th, 2011, 05:13 AM

Jesus 442 and no offense to you because I've met and spoken to John but c'mon those grilles look nasty. You've made some good points along the way but I mean really why would anyone come on to a forum with hundreds of users and lie about something like this unless he had backup. Hell he's even had a local guy here in Newmarket get involved out of his own free will. You're starting to sound like our bleeding heart Liberal Party that keeps staying in power here in Ontario! One smoke screen after another to buy votes. Sometimes there is no other answer because the obvious is the answer. It's not lynching it's common sense.
Old September 15th, 2011, 05:16 AM

I am pretty sure the grills that the buyer purchased are not cutlass grills, they are 70' 442 grills that are extremely hard to find in NOS condition, and my experience with them being on a 70' 442 that I used to own, is if you are not careful, they break real easy. I mean they don't hold up very well at all... With that being the case, it's just real hard to find them used in good condition, as well as finding a pair of them not busted up in shipping or in satisfactory condition at all. I know Chad Davis, he's a very genuine man, with a honest heart, he would never say anything bad about anybody unless they had truly done him wrong. So with that being said, I don't think he has said not one word to blow this situation out of proportion like I have already witnessed on this site. He would just like for his fellow Classic Oldsmobile.com friends to beware, of what was supposed to be a fair agreement of $636.00, for a pair of real NOS, darn near extinct 70' 442 grills. He also figured, that most all Oldsmobile enthusiast's, to be a genuine and honest by there word individual. I know that Chad has been looking for a pair of the 70'442 grills for a lot of years, to only find one other pair that is not really for sale by that person, because that person knows that they are basically extinct, and the people that have them in NOS condition, just want a ridiculous amount of money for them. I feel real bad about what has happened to Chad, he out of all of my friends, was the worst person that I can think of, to have something like this to happen to, because he is the most honest and genuine person that anybody could hope for to have as what I would call, and these days there isn't really to many of these kind of people around..... but what I would call a real good friend and stand up guy. I didn't mean to carry this out that far, but this is really what is going on here.... Chad, I really hope this becomes a positive situation for not just you, but everybody that this has affected, from what I've read so far in regard to your short comings in this deal with the seller, I'm sure it will. Sincerely, Mike
Old September 15th, 2011, 08:57 PM

Mike - Look at the pics....they are definitely '70 Cutlass S grilles.
Old September 15th, 2011, 09:46 PM

It doesn't matter if they were Chevy grilles.. They are not NOS, and they were advertised as NOS, and shown with the boxes. NOS means new, not show quality. These were not new, so they are not NOS. End of story.
Old September 16th, 2011, 03:09 AM

I'm sorry about that mistake guys. I was really amazed to find out how difficult it is to find NOS Oldsmobile parts, and seeing the since less amount of money that is spent to just find a descent pair in acceptable condition, or dealing with the re pops that are a real treat getting them installed and fitting well. I am definitely going to keep my eyes open for these kind of parts that could possibly be lurking around out there. I am really learning a great deal on this forum for sure. -Mike
Old September 17th, 2011, 09:21 AM
Past Administrator

About Rallye350. He has had no infractions against his account and the moderators have discussed his user account status. I found a technical error which listed him as awaiting email approval but am not sure why this occurred. I have restored his 'registered member' status.
Old September 17th, 2011, 09:51 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Thanks for letting us know that, Dan.

- Eric
Old September 18th, 2011, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by atkinsom
Jesus 442 and no offense to you because I've met and spoken to John but c'mon those grilles look nasty. You've made some good points along the way but I mean really why would anyone come on to a forum with hundreds of users and lie about something like this unless he had backup. Hell he's even had a local guy here in Newmarket get involved out of his own free will. You're starting to sound like our bleeding heart Liberal Party that keeps staying in power here in Ontario! One smoke screen after another to buy votes. Sometimes there is no other answer because the obvious is the answer. It's not lynching it's common sense.
Yes they do look nasty. But what I'm saying is that we never heard the other side. I'm not questioning orange's account of what happened however what it looks like here is that I can accuse you if I want to, and it looks like you would be banned if I did.

I agree with Eric that this is not a democracy. But other institutions that are not democratic (the military comes to mind) do try to be at least fair. Now, if condeming someone after hearing only one side is a conservative trait, then yes, please list me as a Liberal. I can embrace Liberal ideals without being a bleeding heart, just as I can agree with some conservative issues without being a religious fanatic.

Originally Posted by Junkman
It doesn't matter if they were Chevy grilles.. They are not NOS, and they were advertised as NOS, and shown with the boxes. NOS means new, not show quality. These were not new, so they are not NOS. End of story.
Finally someone has information. Junkman how did you find this out?

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
About Rallye350. He has had no infractions against his account and the moderators have discussed his user account status. I found a technical error which listed him as awaiting email approval but am not sure why this occurred. I have restored his 'registered member' status.
Interesting, thanks for that information Dan. If Rallye350 hasn't been banned, then not answering the remarks against him, does not put him in a good light.
All I'm saying is that he should have the chance to defend himself. However, if he chooses not to, then we must conclude that he doesn't have a leg to stand on and the accusations and statements noted by everyone above must be true. Now at least, no one can say we treated him unfairly. Orange, I sure hope this issue gets resolved for you.
Old September 19th, 2011, 12:05 AM

I'm really glad to see the good support, and that this has been put into the right direction, not just for Oranges sake, but for all of the members that could of been inflicted by this, especially if that is what we are really dealing with in this case. This is a great forum, and I'm proud to be with such a awesome body of membership, with Oldsmobile Rocket Engineering as the main point of interest, that makes it what it is.
Old December 16th, 2013, 11:02 PM

Thought I would bump this backup seeing as this guy is still on CO and everybody needs to know.
Old December 16th, 2013, 11:31 PM

Was there ever any resolution? How did the Paypal claim turn out?
Old December 16th, 2013, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by rroth01
Sounds like the episode I had with the guy from Oklahoma ..Brazilian something or other..
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...sed-parts.html

Originally Posted by 71cutty455
Was there ever any resolution? How did the Paypal claim turn out?
It took a while but came out as good as was possible given the circumstances. Read my response in the link above that was recently posted. This other post about Billions and Trillions reminded me because rroth01 was also talking about him above in this thread over 2 years ago.