stainless trim removal

Search this Thread

Old April 20th, 2014, 06:39 PM

stainless trim removal

I am starting the process to paint my 66 cutlass holiday coupe. My buddy paints at a local shop said he would start body and paint if I took out glass and all trim. Ive gotten everything except stainless trim along doors fenders quarters and wheel openings any tricks not to damage clips as well as trim I have noticed its hard to find and expensive and mine is really nice. He probably knows how or someone who does but he is doing me a great favor like to have it ready for him thanks
Old April 20th, 2014, 07:20 PM
Just an Olds Guy

If you do end up breaking some molding clips, I'm sure you'll be able to find them at places like AMK

If the clips are metal, they likely will be ok but most of the trim ones were plastic. That means they'll be brittle and likely break after almost 50 years on the car.

There is a stainless trim removal tool - don't know if you have one but they're really inexpensive.
Looks like the tool second from the left. Available at most auto parts stores.
Old April 21st, 2014, 05:47 AM

I know Allan knows this, but it's not 2nd from left. L to R 1 Door Panel 2 Inside window crank 3 Window stainless reveals 4 ???
Old April 21st, 2014, 06:58 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by mrolds69
I know Allan knows this, but it's not 2nd from left. L to R 1 Door Panel 2 Inside window crank 3 Window stainless reveals 4 ???
Can't believe I typed that, I did mean the one you tagged as #3. Thanks for correcting. I think that #4 tool is for removing wipers.
Old April 21st, 2014, 09:13 AM

Most of your side trim removal will be self evident once you remove the inside interior door and quarter panels. Horizontal moldings will have nuts to remove inside the door and philips screws at the very ends of the door molding. Access the rear quarter moldings nuts from inside the trunk. Wheel lip moldings will be attached with philips screws and shares studs with nuts with horizontal moldings.

Henry