62 Starfire Almost Ready for Paint

Search this Thread

Old July 6th, 2009, 07:12 AM

62 Starfire Almost Ready for Paint

After too many years of inactivity, I finally have the chassis completed, the body back on and 99% of the bodywork complete. When I had the body removed and blasted I primed the body with DP 40. That was last year. The DP 40 is now as hard as the sheet metal and not smooth enough everywhere to recoat. I used hi build lacquer primer to help with block sanding the areas of bodywork. The whole car needs to be sanded before painting. I think a sealer is the right step before applying the BC/CC?
Any suggestions on type?

Also, there are irregular shapes on the door jambs, firewall and trunk that would be impossible to sand and polish. I have read here and other places that a single stage paint is the best thing to use here.

As usual, your suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Old July 6th, 2009, 03:07 PM

How come you used lacquer primer if you are shooting BC/CC? Can you sand it off and shoot some high build?

Yeah, you can use single stage enamel for the door jambs, etc. I don't think anyone would BC/CC. Actually, the single stage might work better for the complete car - it would look more 'original.' The base clear looks plasticky in my opinion. Depends what you're going for, I suppose.

You can use DP-40 as a sealer, btw.

-JJ
Old July 6th, 2009, 03:48 PM

Thanks for the reply. Before I became more familiar with the newer single and and two stage paints I was going to paint the car in the original acrylic lacquer finish. So, I had a gallon of lacquer primer. Plus I'm an old guy who used to work with lacquer primer and paint. The acrylic lacquer paint is no longer available in the original color.
I now realize that the newer paint systems are not compatible with the primer and I need to sand it all off or cover it with urethane primer and then use a sealer just before painting.

I have read a lot of opinions on the BC/CC paint looking too different from the original as you indicated. Others say it's the way to go. I'm gonna give the BC/CC a try and see.
Thanks again for your input.
Old July 6th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Man I hope you are painting this car black. I had a friend in high school whose mom got a brand new black 62 Starfire and I though it was the prettiest car I had ever seen. All that trim on that black is just georgeous. It had red leather interior. I would love to have one but know that is not going to happen. There is a beautiful 62 Starfire on the cover of Journey With Olds this month. Let us see some pictures. I do still love that car.
Old July 7th, 2009, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by tpawlik
I have read a lot of opinions on the BC/CC paint looking too different from the original as you indicated. Others say it's the way to go. I'm gonna give the BC/CC a try and see.
Thanks again for your input.
Too bad you couldn't find lacquer in the original color. That would have been perfect!

I'm sure the bc/cc will look great, though, and it's 'garage friendly' to shoot as well, if you're not using a spray booth. Just be careful, make sure you've set up good ventilation, and wear a good respirator, and wear some type of goggles - the vapor will get in your eyes!

-Justin

Last edited by justinj; July 7th, 2009 at 08:52 AM. Reason: sp mistake
Old July 8th, 2009, 08:04 PM
Purveyor of Polyurethane

basecoat clearcoat for sure. I've painted thousands of cars and have never once had a customer complain that their car was "too shiny". There may be some enthusiasts who would disagree, but to me, there is no such thing as "too shiny", when it comes to exterior body paint that is. I wouldn't worry about sanding that primer off or priming it again. Just get it sanded smooth, mix up some epoxy primer with some urethane reducer added and seal it with that before you lay down the base.
Old July 10th, 2009, 02:18 PM

redoldsman,
With your user name, how can I paint it any color other than the original Chariot Red?
I agree with you though, this car would look great in black.
Old July 10th, 2009, 02:25 PM

Thanks for everyone's input. I"m gonna prime the beast with Mar-Hyde 2K ultimate eurethane primer. When it's all one color I will post some pics.