Who can mix from 70s PPG codes that isn't TCP Global?

Search this Thread

Old July 30th, 2018, 01:30 PM

Who can mix from 70s PPG codes that isn't TCP Global?

I'm trying to order paint for my car but can't find anyone so far.
TCP global will only mix their Restoration Shop brand - which I haven't heard good things about. They also stopped doing spray out cards, so I'm trying to avoid buying a quart of paint for each color just to get it matched to a better paint.

I'm searching for:

45 - Aspen Green Poly - 2171
48 - Sherwood Green Poly 2173

Interior paints:
Dark Green Poly 44173
Dark Green 44174
Dark Green Poly (flat) 44169

Does anyone have a shop they use that can mix up from Ditzler/PPG codes?
Old July 30th, 2018, 02:59 PM

The problem with trying to get paint for the older cars is,the pigments used are no longer available. PPG has a library that will try to match paint using current pigments.
Old July 30th, 2018, 08:08 PM

Can you get a piece of the car to the paint store that isn't faded? If the paint store is worth their salt a good color man can eyeball match most anything given enough time. They hate to see me walk in the door but have never let me down on a match..... Tedd
Old July 31st, 2018, 10:37 PM

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
Can you get a piece of the car to the paint store that isn't faded? If the paint store is worth their salt a good color man can eyeball match most anything given enough time. They hate to see me walk in the door but have never let me down on a match..... Tedd
Sadly I had previously used TCP Global's spray out cards to match and assumed I could for this car.... So I went ahead and blasted everything already

Last edited by gratsoy; July 31st, 2018 at 10:47 PM.
Old October 19th, 2018, 08:06 PM

If you find the right Paint Mart store in California, the manager might have some knowledge and books to mix something very close.
And like Tedd Thompson (Forest Ranch ?), mentioned some stores have a color-sensing-gun that will give them a very close match if you have a panel they can shoot with it. The guns look like a heat-sensing gun to know temperatures of surfaces. I would go with a color I liked or close.
Note: I sprayed Paint Mart PPG Acrylic single stage paint on my Ford Pickup in 1996 and it had to endure 6-years on the Pacific Coast in Eureka, California, and then mostly parked inside except for when I am out all day in the sun. That PPG still looks very nice to this day. ( non-metallic )

When I painted my '56 Nomad back in 1978, I loved the '74 Volkswagen "Anaconda-Blue" with the Chevy standard "white". When at car shows I reported the colors as "Artesian-Blue" and "Bright-White". The "artesian" came from Oly beer, "I break for Artesians" ! hahahaha
yep, flipped the rear shackles and put new big-block springs in the front to give it a level 2-inch Lift for the Sporty look. all in fun right !

You may have to play "pin-the-tail-on-the-donkey" for final color pick.

have fun !
Old October 20th, 2018, 06:30 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

I am also planning on returning my car to #48 Sherwood Green Poly. I had no idea, in today's high tech world that getting a PPG paint in the correct colour would be that difficult. Being in Canada also massively limits us, I also need to find a good source within a reasonable driving distance. I plan on a custom purple for my 88 Cutlass this year, I will inquire at that time as well about the Sherwood Green.