Touch up paint won't buff out the same as original

Search this Thread

Old December 7th, 2013, 09:35 AM

Touch up paint won't buff out the same as original

I'm doing a little touch up on a finder skirt that has scratches from of all things a roll of carpet falling off a rack in my garage and putting a three inch series of scratches on the skirt,only hit the skirt. I have sanded and filled with non hardened acrylic enamel all the damaged area. The problem is when I buff out the surface using Speed Glaze the patch / repair has a different gloss. Is this because it not a hardened product? Is there a better way to do this or should I just respray the skirt and be done with it this spring...Tedd
Old December 7th, 2013, 09:42 AM
Chevy budget Olds powered

Touch up will never truly match. Specially when the color is more "concentrated" when you spray the color it's atomized when you touch it's more concentrated . Try to thin it out a bit. As it might be saturated with pigments also make sure your paint is fully shaken up.
Old January 1st, 2014, 07:32 PM

Scratches must be on back part of skirt,because front part of you'r '55 skirt is not 3 inches wide .I'd just paint the skirt. Larry
Old January 1st, 2014, 07:45 PM
Administrator

The hardest part is filling in the scratch in small layers, and then getting back to the level of the rest of the area to blend in. It takes a lot of patience and time.
Old January 1st, 2014, 07:55 PM

Tedd,

Has the swamp cooler that I sent before Christmas arrive?

Chris
Old January 1st, 2014, 10:54 PM
Just an Olds Guy

There IS a solution to the mismatch that can be easily corrected when you think about it. Time to get the whole car repainted.... and someone told me once that rug burn goes away with no nasty marks afterwards.

Seriously, I'd just respray the skirt and be done with it. Less time fixin, more time drivin...
Old January 7th, 2014, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by hullinger
Tedd,

Has the swamp cooler that I sent before Christmas arrive?

Chris
Chris, yep I got it and have it torn all apart and have begun to restore it. It was in very good shape as you described it and probably wouldn't have needed much of anything except maybe a new pull string but I can't leave anything alone especially if it is to be attached to the Mistress. A new paint job is next for it also. When I finish restoring it I will probably do a thread on how to restore a 50's auto water cooler.....Tedd

PS I am still all busted up with this knee replacement so things are going very slow so don't expect film at 11 but it will happen.