removing paint that was painted over the original lacquer

Old July 13th, 2010, 05:19 PM

removing paint that was painted over the original lacquer

our 72 cutlass has the original paint, all but the passenger front finder and looks like they tried to blend it into the door. it don't match at all well. i had some masking tape on the finder and when i pulled it off the paint came up with it and left the original pant under it. how do i take all the paint off without hurting the lacquer under it. if it is possible i would like to strip it and find out why they repainted it and then have someone paint it to match better. i may be dreaming here but thought i would ask.
Old July 13th, 2010, 05:43 PM
Purveyor of Polyurethane

If it's been painted over, there's no saving it. You'll bee looking at just getting it repainted.
Old July 13th, 2010, 05:48 PM

i paint 4 a living and i dont think theres any way 2 remove just the color matched area you might get lucky and get some more off with tape but you might take it 2 medal and cause more damage, if you plan on painting later on make sure you strip all the color match area if its coming off with tape it will chip if you paint on top of it!!
Old July 13th, 2010, 05:53 PM

oyea if there was major damage 2 the door youll be able 2 see the damge if you take the door panel off and look from the inside, keep your fingers crossed that it was a good body man that did the work!!! i hate it when people drill holes in the body 2 pull the dent out!!!! if you dont see much damage from the inside then your good it was minor, if its all dented in, warped with wrinkles, or has alot of holes with bondo worms coming threw than it was a big hit and alot of work done
Old July 13th, 2010, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by sx455raidercelticfan
oyea if there was major damage 2 the door youll be able 2 see the damge if you take the door panel off and look from the inside, keep your fingers crossed that it was a good body man that did the work!!! i hate it when people drill holes in the body 2 pull the dent out!!!! if you dont see much damage from the inside then your good it was minor, if its all dented in, warped with wrinkles, or has alot of holes with bondo worms coming threw than it was a big hit and alot of work done
i had the door panel off and there are no signs of any damage to the door. i think they was just trying to blend it. the paint feathers to the original paint about half way through the door. i can't see any damage from the back side of the finder but i can't see all of it while on the car. i would bet that it was a good scrape and nothing major. there are no signs of anything else being replaced or bent.