Lead paint concerns?

Search this Thread

Old November 29th, 2008, 05:36 PM

Lead paint concerns?

Somebody asked me this question a while back and I hadn't even stopped to think about it before. Anybody know to what extent lead paint was used by GM in the early seventies? When working under the hood and sanding brackets, supports and such for repainting, is it necessary to take any special precautions? I guess common sense says you should at least wear a dust mask but I don't always even do that. Most of my detail work is done under the hood as I'm not a body guy but I'm always sanding rust scale and old paint using both paper and steel wool....a lot of particulates in the air that I should probably be trying to keep out of my lungs Any recommendations?? I'm sure some of the professionals that frequent this site have done their research on this one and can offer up some sage advice. Thanks!!
Old November 30th, 2008, 06:44 AM

Just my personal opinion...The pipes in most of the victorian houses were made of lead when originally installed, they were painted using lead, car batteries still use lead. You have been surrounded by it for years and it really has not harmed you. Idiots posing as environmentalists are trying to grab more power to screw up your life. Use normal precautions, and let the commies worry about the rest of it.
Old November 30th, 2008, 06:34 PM

Seems reasonable to me. I was wondering about this when I started body work on my old Chevelle many years ago.

Probably should at least wear a mask.

Scott 442: Triangle represent. If i ever get my cutlass down here (it is in richmond) we should get up or something man.
Old November 30th, 2008, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by csstrux
Just my personal opinion...The pipes in most of the victorian houses were made of lead when originally installed, they were painted using lead, car batteries still use lead. You have been surrounded by it for years and it really has not harmed you. Idiots posing as environmentalists are trying to grab more power to screw up your life. Use normal precautions, and let the commies worry about the rest of it.

x2
Old December 1st, 2008, 06:25 AM

let the commies worry about the rest of it
Have you ever seen a Commie drink a glass of water?
Old December 1st, 2008, 06:39 AM

I was thinking trhe same thing AFTER I did the floor boards in my 61. The primer is alot darker and kind of looks like the red lead they use on Navy ships. I did use a dust mask but I would recomend a respirator with dust filters if you have any facial hair. My friend who is has been a bodyman for 27 years had a strange throat clearing kind of cough going on from years of working around bodywork
Old December 7th, 2008, 06:15 AM

You do want to use at least a mask to keep the dust out of your lungs. There are chemicals and particulates that will harm you. Sans the use normal precautions comment. My point was that the whole lead issue has been blown entirely out of proportion, along with global warming...no global cooling...no global climate change... Among other "causes" that usually end up impacting somebodies life inordinately, and negatively once big brother gets involved. Use common sense when dealing with any chemical or product that is potentially hazardous, keep it clean and dispose of the waste properly, Otherwise there is no reason to get excited Usually there will be handling instructions on the packages or an msds (material safety data) sheet will be given to you at point of purchase if you go to the professional shops. IE Body Shop Supply hope this clears things up a bit
Old December 7th, 2008, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by Olds64
Have you ever seen a Commie drink a glass of water?
No... Usually some mocha something or another... wearing Birkenstocks and wool socks
Old December 8th, 2008, 09:33 PM
Just the facts...

wear a mask for any particulates and don't eat the paint. you'll be fine!

bill
Old December 9th, 2008, 09:11 AM
Registered

The body has lead all over it on the seams. That's where you can get some real lead dust flying if you aren't careful sanding the paint off.
I always wear a twin cartridge repirator doing any dusty work, I try not to eat too much but I get hungry.

The most hazardous thing around people should be careful with are 2 stage clearcoats IMO. It should be left to the pros or only used with all the proper equipment. It's like breathing super glue but worse, can be absorbed through the skin, and it can permanently damage much needed internal organs with one exposure.

But then again... what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

Allan
Old February 5th, 2009, 12:49 PM
Purveyor of Polyurethane

I would never recommend a lung full of anything other than air. A dust mask is fine for sanding, definitely a respirator for painting anything that contains a catalyst. The isocyanates in paint hardeners do attack the nervous system which can lead to early alzheimer's. Not to mention they will make you sick as a dog, this one I learned the hard way.
No matter what you are working on, you are usually so focused on the work that safety is sometimes an afterthought. Just plan ahead for the appropriate safety precautions. Better safe than sorry probably applies here. In our body shop, there are still several materials that contain lead. Mostly the orange red toners, it's not as obsolete as you would think. The only way that lead would really hurt you is if you atomized it(sprayed a material that contains it) or vaporized it(melted it to remove it or do lead filler work) and then breathed it in. Other than that, wear a dust mask and you'll be ok.
Old February 5th, 2009, 01:39 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by ijasond
I would never recommend a lung full of anything other than air. A dust mask is fine for sanding, definitely a respirator for painting anything that contains a catalyst. The isocyanates in paint hardeners do attack the nervous system which can lead to early alzheimer's. Not to mention they will make you sick as a dog, this one I learned the hard way.
No matter what you are working on, you are usually so focused on the work that safety is sometimes an afterthought. Just plan ahead for the appropriate safety precautions. Better safe than sorry probably applies here. In our body shop, there are still several materials that contain lead. Mostly the orange red toners, it's not as obsolete as you would think. The only way that lead would really hurt you is if you atomized it(sprayed a material that contains it) or vaporized it(melted it to remove it or do lead filler work) and then breathed it in. Other than that, wear a dust mask and you'll be ok.
Excellent advice. GM factory paint contains lead well into the late 1960s. Of course, in my young and stupid days I sanded a lot of it with no respirator. Today I use the appropriate safety gear. I also bought a supplied-air respirator for painting.