Interior paint/dye - "off the shelf" gold recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old September 6th, 2011, 08:33 AM

Question Interior paint/dye - "off the shelf" gold recommendations?

Calling all owners of cars with gold interiors!

I'm trying to find a paint/dye in aerosol can that most closely resembles gold upholstery. I plan to dye interior parts such as seat belt retractor covers, some lower dash parts, etc.

Currently, I'm experimenting with a can of M43 Gold supplied by The Parts Place. The color seems a little "brighter" than existing gold parts.

Incidently, I'll be ordering new upholstery very soon from Legendary Auto Interiors for my backseat. So, any experience matching up with their gold would be ideal.

Thanks
Old September 6th, 2011, 10:34 AM

As paint and vinyl age, they develop what some people call a "patina", or in other words... it fades. All new products have that new look like yours did when the car was new. I recently purchased some NOS 1962 vinyl, and it was bright and colorful, unlike the rest of the vinyl that has aged for the last 50 years. When I compared it to the vinyl that was hidden in a dark place of the car, the color match was perfect, unlike that of the original seats. Same for the paint on both the interior and exterior. If you are going to replace the rear seat vinyl only, then it is going to be noticeably different than the front. If you are looking at preservation, then replace as little as you have to, and if you are considering restoration, then replace as much as you can afford so it will all look fresh and new.