door jamb paint removal

Search this Thread

Old March 30th, 2009, 07:10 PM

door jamb paint removal

I have a question. If you are using a sanding disc or stripping solution to remove paint, how can one adequately remove the paint from all the difficult areas--the door jambs, etc? I am unable to really get the sander in the tight spots, a wire wheel brush on a drill seems to be completely useless on anything but removing rust, and the paint remover doesn't get everything off the surface as it's impossible to scape in certain areas, and the remover really doesn't take off the very old primer or e-coat that was on the metal.

I'm starting to get frustrated and concerned that my surfaces aren't going to be prepped properly for paint.
Old March 30th, 2009, 08:08 PM
Registered Luser

Tom, we stripped the jambs and "hard to reach" places on the Vista with no problems and little effort with a high speed electric drill and wire wheels. Also used 3M fibre discs(3" don't have the part # on me) on the angle die grinder. Worked fast and thorough. If you need the part #, I can get it tomorrow nite but late as I will be working.
Old March 31st, 2009, 04:28 AM

I was thinking of the 3M fiber discs as well. You can get the fine and coarse ones at the auto parts store or even Wal Mart. They take paint off easily.
Old April 9th, 2009, 06:33 PM
Purveyor of Polyurethane

I used a small hand held hopper type sand blaster on mine. It worked well, took a little while to clean up the media though. I would definitely choose it over a chemical stripper. Chemical strippers are a nightmare.
Old July 3rd, 2009, 12:09 PM

Hello
Another produckt from 3M is called Roloc Bristle Discs
http://www.autolackprofi.com/shop/im...ang/46433Z.jpg
you put it with an adapter on a drilling machine.
Or
you bring it to a professional who remove paint with a special kind of thinner , they put it into a dipping bath . after this in another dipping bath with phosphoric-Acid this will remove every rust and oxidation.After this it look like this parts .
Saludos Markus
Bild001.jpg
Old July 3rd, 2009, 12:14 PM

here is another close up pic from inside the fender . Every pice is bare metall without any oxydation you only have to primer it.
Bild019.jpg
Old July 3rd, 2009, 04:36 PM
Purveyor of Polyurethane

Hopefully he has this part of the project done by now. If not, I don't think that stripping the car down to its shell & taking it to have it dipped is really a practical option to prep a couple of door jambs.
Old July 3rd, 2009, 05:12 PM

Hey,it's going to be tough with the doors on.I use a small[2 qt]sandblaster,called ''speed blaster'',most auto paint stores can get one.Got to have compressure though.
You can drill a small pilot hole in the hinges,so realining the doors is not a guessing game.I use a scribe to mark where the bolts go ,for realinment,with the doors off you should be able to get in there.It's not a fun job,good luck!I'll be glad to help if you have more questions,later,BO