Don't laugh until you try it. trunk splatter

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2010, 01:23 PM

Don't laugh until you try it. trunk splatter

I went out to get some trunk splatter paint. We epoxy primed the trunk and the auto parts store was out of splatter. I went to a local store called fleet farm and the have a spray paint called Valspar stone. It is for painting lawn items. The stuff looks just like splatter paint but dries fast and rock hard. It is a little rough but looks great. The typical splatter paint I've used over the years dries slow and is watery and easliy damaged. I'll let let you know how it holds up.
Old May 24th, 2010, 02:07 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by MN71W30
I went out to get some trunk splatter paint. We epoxy primed the trunk and the auto parts store was out of splatter. I went to a local store called fleet farm and the have a spray paint called Valspar stone. It is for painting lawn items. The stuff looks just like splatter paint but dries fast and rock hard. It is a little rough but looks great. The typical splatter paint I've used over the years dries slow and is watery and easliy damaged. I'll let let you know how it holds up.
That's an interesting approach to doing the trunk. Can you post a pic of how it turned out? Mine is done in the original GM spatter (greenish black), but I'm going to have to redo the trunk floor and any new products that do a great job, I up for it. thx for the tip!!

BTW, I haven't "tried" to damage the splatter in my trunk, but it seems to hold up pretty good. Seeing as how it's not a daily driver hauling a lot of stuff around, I tend to want to stick to how it was built. But if the new stuff is better..........I'll try it.

Duplicolor has this stuff for 6.99 Have you tried it?
Old May 24th, 2010, 02:19 PM

Old May 24th, 2010, 02:20 PM

Old May 24th, 2010, 02:29 PM

I've used the watery trunk splatter before and wasn't too impressed. I would have liked the greeninsh black color better. It was about $6 a can. The stuff seems rock hard. The reason I had to redo the trunk is that some water leaked into the trunk thanks to a poor seal and got a mat wet in my trunk. I didn't know until it began to stink and by the time I got it out it was starting to rust. We cleaned the trunk with a wire brush and encapsulated the pan. We then sprayed a couple coats of gray epoxy primer and let it dry in the hot sun. We then sprayed the trunk paint splatter. It was rock hard in an hour. The typical trunk splatter is chalky and doesn't hold up to the water at all and reacts to some types of undercoating. It may have boiled down to an inferior paint below the splatter that rusted. We throw drag tires in the trunk of the Olds and drive the daylights out of it. Maybe a black epoxy base would ave made it look better? It just an FYI post.

Last edited by MN71W30; May 24th, 2010 at 03:22 PM.
Old May 24th, 2010, 02:34 PM

I was hoping a trunk splatter thread would start..I need to redo mine also but it's been splattered once before some time ago and a bad job was done...can this stuff be removed somehow so you can start with bare metal again? I don't want to just spray over it and have it start flaking right away. Anybody been down this road? thanks.
Old May 24th, 2010, 06:22 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by MN71W30
I've used the watery trunk splatter before and wasn't too impressed. I would have liked the greeninsh black color better. It was about $6 a can. The stuff seems rock hard. .......
I checked my spatter paint in my car. It was applied in 1986 and some parts of it are still pliable. I'm not sure if this is the way it's supposed to be, but most of it is hard. The only places that didn't get spatter painted were under the trunk carpet (a mistake on my part) because I decided to put in a black carpet there. There isn't any rusting or water leaking into my car anymore; the problem areas were properly repaired. You can see where the GM quarter panel was welded in. There's a pretty definite weld line. The spatter was done after the car was painted. Application was by airgun and it reached just about everywhere in the trunk area. Here's what it looks like. (I still am using some of the trunk for storage of NOS parts, so it looks a little cluttered in places)

IMG_1242.jpg?t=1274750242

IMG_1243.jpg?t=1274750283

IMG_1245.jpg?t=1274750330

Originally Posted by scott_442
I was hoping a trunk splatter thread would start..I need to redo mine also but it's been splattered once before some time ago and a bad job was done...can this stuff be removed somehow so you can start with bare metal again? I don't want to just spray over it and have it start flaking right away. Anybody been down this road? thanks.
Have you thought about bead blasting it out? It might be faster than trying to dissolve it with thinners. Cleanup would be easy too, because it's all in the trunk. Just a thought. Do you have spatter paint flaking in your trunk? I've never seen that.
Old May 24th, 2010, 06:56 PM

i used the gm resto trunk paint last year por 15ed it primed, it paint and put a trunk pad in it It stuck to the trunk pad from the heat and like mn 71 said didnt hold up well and It has had a easy life. but it was from a can not a gun .
Old May 26th, 2010, 06:48 PM

Tan/White spatter paint

Where can I purchase Dupli Color (or other brand) Spatter Paint in the Tan/White color as shown in the photo on the can in the photo posted by Allan R?