Best way to get the correct color through codes

Search this Thread

Old June 11th, 2019, 08:21 AM

Best way to get the correct color through codes

I've read a bit about the older paint pigments no longer being available. I have different paint codes from different manufactures through PaintRef.com. Companies they have codes for:

- Ditzler PPG
- Dupont
- Acme Rogers
- RM BASF
- Sherwin Williams

Have any of these proven to be more consistent with the original color than the rest?

-S
Old June 12th, 2019, 04:58 AM

I'm not much help on this new stuff but I did have trouble getting Jade Gold for a 68' 442. Dupont discontinued the tints and PPG didn't show anything. I had to use Nason which is a lower line of Dupont. I hate cheap paint so I tried to convert it Standox and PPG from the Nason sprayout and nothing looked as correct as the Nason. So cheap base with a great clear over it will be fine.

We have finishmaster and they are the only ones left around us. They don't seem to be much help in finding colors. If it's not in the computer then your SOL.

But.. discontinued tints is a problem. They eliminate ones they don't sell much of anymore.
Old June 16th, 2019, 12:16 PM

Hi, new member. I have a question. I am restoring a 1972 Cutlass S, Radiant Green colour and we are at the painting as it out of the body shop. Radiant green, two stage is what is going to happen and samples the paint shop has made has significant fine metal flake. Does Radiant Green Have Metal Flake? The last paint done on the car had no metal flake, it had two different layers of paint and was taken down to bare metal... The painter wants to paint it using this metal flake green. The question is , is Radiant Green to have metal flake? I have an old pic before it went to body a year ago.

1972 Cutlass S