66 bucket seat paint on metal parts

Old March 21st, 2017, 07:06 PM

66 bucket seat paint on metal parts

i'm painting the outer metal parts of my buckets seats and need to know how to do it without covering up the graining or pattern in the metal, they are black. i dont think they used gloss black, maybe satin. It looks like a single coat, no primer. I don't want to cover up the pattern in the metal.thanks
Old March 21st, 2017, 09:46 PM

I ran across the same issue while working on my 66 Project. I first tried spraying over the existing paint and when the new paint dried the grain was barely visible. I had to media blast all of the old (and new) paint off then re-spray with satin black (no primer) and they came out great. It was a PITA to blast the backs and skirts as the original paint did not want to come out of all the little crevices........
Old March 22nd, 2017, 08:37 AM

paint bucket seat backs

thanks randy s. i'm going to do it your way. I used glass beads in my cabinet and it was easy and it came out great. just time consuming.
Old March 22nd, 2017, 03:50 PM
Ben

SEM TRIM Black is the paint you want... its the exact sheen of the original black, and it goes over bare metal w/o a primer coat- and its tough too. Great stuff.

You can get it from summit racing for about $10 a can.

As randy said, to do it right you need to blast the panels clean so the new paint doesn't fill in the grain.
I have used glass bead media in a small blast cabinet w/ success but it is very time consuming. You can also pay a blaster to do it, it will likely be about $60-$80. Well worth the price.

The last set i did i tried using paint stripper on instead of going to a blaster... and it did work, but took 3 applications of stripper, and a lot of bending over and scrubbing and hosing off etc etc to get them clean. BLAH!!! Never again!!!!
I'll just pay someone to blast em next time!
Old March 22nd, 2017, 03:52 PM
Ben

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...0_choC9ALw_wcB

It says "flat black" but its more of a satin.
I have sprayed it on the back side of panels with good original paint and once it dries you cannot tell where the new stops and the old begins. Perfect match.
Old March 23rd, 2017, 04:12 PM

66 bucket backs

got the parts all blasted in my cabinet, came out nice. used Rust-Oleum universal advanced formula "Satin" paint and primer in one. got it from menards $5.62 a can, worked great.Thanks for all the info.
Old March 25th, 2017, 11:21 AM

update on paint. rambo is right the Sem paint is the way to go the color is perfect. rust-oleum color was to glossy and can didn't spray as nice. Sem trim paint 39143. one can did my buckets and my local Auto vaue store had it.thanks for the help.
Old March 25th, 2017, 11:46 PM
Ben