Squeaky Noise from the speedo area

Search this Thread

Old July 15th, 2015, 06:03 AM

Squeaky Noise from the speedo area

Hi All,

This is my first post and i have a problem with my Olds Toro 1976 Brougham--there is a bad squeaking noise which is very irritating. I can't seem to figure out where exactly it come from--but i guess its from the speedometer as it increases and decreases with the speed.

Please help me try and figure this out. Driving my classic (with this weird squeaking noise) makes me insane--apart from this the Toro 76 is a dream to drive and as my first classic car i want her to be perfect!!

Any / all help suggestions will be truly appreciated.

Also; i have a catalytic convertor for the 76 toro that i have no use for in UAE. I had it removed. If anyone wants it and pays for shipping its yours...

Cheers
CS
Old July 15th, 2015, 06:30 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, post some pics of your 76 when you find time. The noise is probably the speedometer cable. You need to remove and lubricate it.
Old July 15th, 2015, 07:09 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

+1. Speedo cable.

Disconnect one end or the other (probably easier to disconnect at the transmission), pull out the core, grease it, slide it back in, and reconnect.

Sometimes the core is kinked or damaged. If so, it's easy to get universal replacements.

Welcome to ClassicOlds.

- Eric
Old July 15th, 2015, 09:02 AM
Oldsdruid

Note he said he's in the United Arab Emirates. Parts may not be that easy for him compared to here.

If the car has cruise control, disconnect the speedometer end cable at the CC regulator underhood and gently pull the inner cable out. Use some powdered graphite or speedometer cable lube at the speedometer (square tip) end and feed the cable back in. Then lightly lube the rest of the cable. Push it into the speedo and rotate the cable till you feel it set into the speedometer, then reconnect it to the regulator.

A Toronado is also easy to lube the bottom (transmission end) cable. Disconnect it at trans and use either speedometer lube or some really light grease on the bottom third of the cable's length.

It may take a few miles of driving for the lube to work itself in, but unless there is some problem in the speedometer head itself, this should quiet it down.

A 1976 Toronado is not easy to get the speedometer head out- it requires major dash disassembly, so let's hope lubricating the cable does it.

Last edited by rocketraider; July 15th, 2015 at 09:04 AM.
Old July 15th, 2015, 09:43 PM

Thank you all for the responses.

Indeed, parts are not easy to come by here in Dubai, but i can source the same from a few online stores. The good thing is that there is a huge classic car community out here but i am the only one with a 76' toro....don't know if thats a good or bad thing

I will have my mech check on the speedo cable and try and avoid the disassembly of the dash--cause yeah--just looking at it seems to be a nightmare to disassemble and reassemble--will cost me and arm and a leg as repairs are pretty stiff on the pocket in this side of the world.

I am attaching a few pics of my car...just have 3 for now but will click a few more and upload.

Thanks again and i will keep you all posted once i get the lube in place for the speedo.

Regards,