Pro6ten AC compressor

Search this Thread

Old July 7th, 2015, 05:52 PM

Pro6ten AC compressor

Was curious if any of you have used the "Pro6ten" AC compressor in place of your A6, and if so, how do you like it- fit, function, appearance? This will be going on a 1974 Olds Cutlass Supreme with the 350. My A6 (only have had to replace it once in 500000 miles) (although I had to install a new clutch on the original at about 200000) has been noisy for quite some time now, and I want to replace it soon, but It seems like most of what is out there these days for an A6 is remanufactured, and I understand the new 10 cylinder compressor drags on the engine less. If I get it, I may paint it black to try and make it look more "stock".
Old July 7th, 2015, 07:16 PM

I know someone who got this. It looks much different in appearance than the A6 and all the bolts are metric. He never seemed to get the system running well, but cannot say if that was the fault of the compressor. He also used the cycling clutch switch.
The bolts really caught him off guard though - I remember that well. As for appearance, if you are competing in shows, get a real A6.
Old July 8th, 2015, 04:21 AM

Do you know where you can get a "good" A6 these days? I would like a new one but I don't think you can get those anymore.
Old July 8th, 2015, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by goatwgn
Do you know where you can get a "good" A6 these days? I would like a new one but I don't think you can get those anymore.
I have been casually looking for a new A6 for several years but with no luck. Certainly do not want a new-old-stock one - internal seals would be dried, hardened, or failed.
Old July 8th, 2015, 07:17 PM

I am of the same opinion. If I had a new A6 compressor sitting here that was built like the one that came on the car it would be a no-brainer. Just don't want to install a "leaking" or even noisier "remanufactured unit" or a new old stock like you mentioned with dried out seals.
Old July 8th, 2015, 09:06 PM

Check with Classic Auto Air, they can rebuild yours or sell you one. They can also rebuild your POA valve or recalibrate it for 134 if you want.
Old July 9th, 2015, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by steverw
Check with Classic Auto Air, they can rebuild yours or sell you one. They can also rebuild your POA valve or recalibrate it for 134 if you want.
I considered this A6 rebuild as an option, BUT...
500 plus shipping both ways and a puny 3 month warranty have buried the idea. I also heard they use the same original ceramic seal that throws oil (like the original), and may leak freon like the original too. Back then a lb of freon a year leakage was considered normal.
Even a 200 reman has a 2 year warranty, so what's up with that? Why only 3 months? That is not even a whole Texas summer! When I got my power steering system and brake booster rebuilt, they gave my lifetime warranties. Would not expect that on a compressor, but how about at least a year?

Also, POA valves can easily be tested and adjusted in your garage if you have some hose fittings, AC gauge set, and an air compressor. Pretty easy to do.
Old July 9th, 2015, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
I considered this A6 rebuild as an option, BUT...
500 plus shipping both ways and a puny 3 month warranty have buried the idea. I also heard they use the same original ceramic seal that throws oil (like the original), and may leak freon like the original too. Back then a lb of freon a year leakage was considered normal.
Even a 200 reman has a 2 year warranty, so what's up with that? Why only 3 months? That is not even a whole Texas summer! When I got my power steering system and brake booster rebuilt, they gave my lifetime warranties. Would not expect that on a compressor, but how about at least a year?

Also, POA valves can easily be tested and adjusted in your garage if you have some hose fittings, AC gauge set, and an air compressor. Pretty easy to do.
That is what has me looking at these alternatives. I also have a VIR unit which supposedly cannot be recalibrated for r134a, but that is a moot point as I have switched back to r12.
Old July 9th, 2015, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by goatwgn
That is what has me looking at these alternatives. .
Well welcome aboard the same boat.
I have been trying to decide something for the past 4 years.
I am about ready to just try a reman A6 and be done with it....
Old July 9th, 2015, 07:55 PM

I may remove this one, dump the oil out of the sump, put some new oil in it and see how it does. As I said, works fine, just a lot more noisy than it has been in the past. This was a "new" unit I got back around 1993 to replace the original one. The original one was leaking. I haven't had luck with remanufactured AC compressors I have installed on other people's cars. It could be a Sanden, a York, an R4 or an A6, they also seem to leak out of the front seal excessively. I believe the shaft should be replaced on these "rebuilds", but of coarse they are never done. As expensive as the Pro6ten is, I would like a lot of positive feedback on it before I would switch to it. I have had good luck (knock on wood) with the Sanden 508 installed on my '66 Tempest Custom wagon with add on underdash AC.
Old August 19th, 2015, 01:57 PM

I sold a pro6ten to a local guy from Richardson for 442. But I let him know in advance about the metric bolts. Wasn't an issue for him and he stayed with r12. Everything else was factory except the expansion valve. He just changed the oil in the compressor and painted it black. If you want one lmk I have one for $300
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1413780268505.jpg (1.26 MB, 53 views)