Cam Sensor relation to Air Conditioner Compressor

Old December 8th, 2006, 03:06 PM

Question Cam Sensor relation to Air Conditioner Compressor

Cam Sensor relation to Air Conditioner Compressor ;

Is there any evidence that a Cam Sensor has any relationship with the Compressor Clutch cutting out?

As I understand the Compressor is protected by the High Pressure switch on the compressor head.

By the low pressure switch on the Accumulator can.

By a sensor on the power steering line. For when an extreme sharp turn is made.

And possibly by the ECM (computer) if the engine is heavily loaded such as when kicking up RPMs in a floorboarding of accelerator or shifting into passing gear.
What sensor or device tells the ECI when an overload requires a compressor shut down? Is it the Cam Sensor? Which I guess acts as a tach counting the rotation of the cam.

A while back I was having issues with the AC running well for a while and then intermittently cutting out. Sometimes for a few minutes and sometimes for days. I also had a SES (service engine soon) light coming and going. When I finallly got hold of a OSB1 the code was 41 Cam Sensor Failure.

I replaced it and lo & behold the AC started acting rightly. for a while.
First I got a new SES and when I checked it nothing showed up. (I guess this is what some owners call the ghost light or ghost code). But the AC was still doing fine. Week or so later I thought the SES light was staying on longer, tho not full-time. So I checked it again and the Code 41 was back. Within days the AC was again acting up as before.
Help me Go Figure.

thanks

BTW I read somewhere (maybe here) that the magnet that activates the cam sensor occasionally falls off internally. If that is correct: What actually holds it on and where on a cam is it?
Can it be reinstalled and if so how?

Oddly IMHO the Oldsmobile Service Manual (big book) has very little info on the Cam Sensor at all and none relating it to the AC that I can find.
My A/C is a C-68 (Electronic). Car is a 1990 ninety-eight regency brouham, 3800LN-3 V-6, aOd.
thanks again

Oh I could not determine where to post this as I found no sub-forum for air conditioner.
I did a search for "air conditioner" and was surprised to only find one post.
Old December 8th, 2006, 07:45 PM

Lightbulb Ghost sensors

Had one a while back like that ,tried pin out test ect.Finaly coolant temp sensor in A round about way VIA (ECM) took care of problem ?At least so far.3 months ago
Old December 12th, 2006, 05:01 AM
Past Administrator

If the cam sensor is failing wouldn't the car run like crap? If it isn't then I doubt the cam sensor is causing the a/c cluthc problem. Hmmmmm, did you try disconnecting the battery for at least five minutes to allow the computer to reset all the codes? The car won't run as well for a little while but that is the computer learning all the new parameters while it runs on default settings, it might help your problem in the long run....just an idea.

Gosh I hate the newer cars for this reason! My wife's '99 LeSabre has a ventilation system ducting problem, the conditioned air only comes out the defrost vents and I know it is in the control. Just don't want to pay some dealer mucho bucks to hook the computer up and analyze it....
Old January 5th, 2007, 08:57 PM

You can remove the cam sensor and bump the engine until you see the magnet sitting in the cam sprocket thru the cam sensor hole,you'll need a flashlight!.The magnet snaps into the cam sprocket. Oldsguy, if your wifes '99 la sabre has vacuum control a/c,the vacuum source to the a/c could be the problem,that's why it would default to defrost only.Hope any of this helps.