Other Oldsmobiles Anything not listed above, such as F-85 (1961-1963), Firenza (1982-1988), Starfire (1961-66 and 1975-80), Omega, etc.

64 Starfire Disc/Drum Master Cylinder?

Search this Thread

Old March 12th, 2010, 01:16 PM

64 Starfire Disc/Drum Master Cylinder?

I'm converting my car to disc/drum and was wanting to know if anyone knew for sure if/what other model master cylinder would work on my car?

I know a lot of GM cars used a lot of the same parts...but really you never know. I'm paying someone to do it since I'm not at home to do it myself and would like to not have to pay him to do trial and error to get the right one. I did buy one for a.....67 Olds? Impala? don't remember exactly...been a few months. Looks like it will fit but didn't have time to try it out before I left.

I'm sure there's a lot of "should" and "maybe's"....I'm looking for "will fit" answers.

thankyou,
GK
Old April 4th, 2010, 09:22 AM

So my disc brakes are installed and i'll be home in a week and will post what the part number was for the master cylinder. I'm sure there's some people that would like to know for the record.
Old April 4th, 2010, 04:58 PM

Arrow '63s are different then '64s Starfires

Originally Posted by 64starfire
So my disc brakes are installed and i'll be home in a week and will post what the part number was for the master cylinder. I'm sure there's some people that would like to know for the record.

I know there's a difference between these two era of Starfires but maybe you could shed some light on this change up. My son is trying to save a '63 Starfire Conv. and maybe there's something he can learn through your experiences.
Old May 29th, 2010, 02:09 PM

So I'm back in Iraq, but just wanted to share the improvement the disc brakes made. With Sacramento traffic, I'm pretty sure those brakes paid for themselves at least a couple times over. Didn't run a proportioning valve and never had a problem with lock up. The ONLY problem i had was the new spindle snout with dust cap would not fit under the center caps of my existing wheels which I was not exactly enthousiastic about. So luckily I had ordered bullet shaped lug nuts which helped a little since I ran around with no center caps. I found some chrome dust caps at Napa to help that part of the dress up. While the disc swap was a little pricey, definitly recommended. You might be able to save some cash by using junk yard parts. Total, I think I was closing in on $1000 which included the scarebird kit. If I remember right the MC I used was for a 67 Chevelle with Disc/drum. Ok thats all for now.