Other Oldsmobiles Anything not listed above, such as F-85 (1961-1963), Firenza (1982-1988), Starfire (1961-66 and 1975-80), Omega, etc.

63 Cutlass trans and more advice.

Search this Thread

Old April 1st, 2017, 10:35 AM

63 Cutlass trans and more advice.

Hi all. I'm doing a 63 convertible with my intentions to keep it stock as possible, except the trans. I would like to mate my 215 olds with a t5. I'm hearing the t5 out the s10 will leave my shifter in an undesirable place, is this true? Which doner car is best and years? Also if I want to go automatic, what's my best overdive option?
I will also be changing my rear end to have something that won't leaving needle hunting in the haystacks. My rear end options from others who have done this are s10, gbody, or late 80's explorers. Will that mean my driveshaft will be tossed? Should I be taking the driveshaft out of doner car with the rear end or the tranny..
Also I'm making progress on my other 63 (the hardtop in my pic) but that will be another post and in another section.
If you guys want a good read I just read on hot rod magazine about a dragster named the underdog with a olds 215 that was spanking cry-slurs and chevys in its day.

Ronnie.

Last edited by RocketRonnie; April 1st, 2017 at 04:38 PM.
Old April 1st, 2017, 12:32 PM
Old(s) Fart

I would strongly suggest that you do your homework on the T5. Understand the differences between the non-World Class and the World Class transmissions. Understand the differences between the low-HP applications with the 1" input shaft vs. the other with the larger input shaft. Understand the implications of the first gear ratio also, since the four and small V6 transmissions have a granny first gear that will be almost useless. There are three tailhousings with different shifter locations. The S10 is furthest forward, the Camaro is back, and the very rare Astro van is about right. Also understand that GM started using the Ford bolt pattern on the T5 in the mid-90s, so finding a world class version with the Muncie pattern can be tough.
Old April 1st, 2017, 01:04 PM

Check out this post and contact the owner he used a t-5 trans. https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...c-5-speed.html
Old April 1st, 2017, 05:09 PM

sent him a pm. Read this last night, form what I've seen mustang T5's have been used more. I just dont know what year, or if all are made the same. Joe, I dont want a granny 1st gear so thank you. I do have some homework to do, I have some in the yard around me and on the net locally going from 300$ to 800$.

whats that auto tranny guys are running? 200? 700?
Old April 1st, 2017, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I would strongly suggest that you do your homework on the T5. Understand the differences between the non-World Class and the World Class transmissions. Understand the differences between the low-HP applications with the 1" input shaft vs. the other with the larger input shaft. Understand the implications of the first gear ratio also, since the four and small V6 transmissions have a granny first gear that will be almost useless. There are three tailhousings with different shifter locations. The S10 is furthest forward, the Camaro is back, and the very rare Astro van is about right. Also understand that GM started using the Ford bolt pattern on the T5 in the mid-90s, so finding a world class version with the Muncie pattern can be tough.
The s10 went to world class and ford pattern in 93, but I didn't know the other ones changed to ford pattern as well.
Old April 3rd, 2017, 10:25 AM

Can i use a mustang t5 with gm bell housing. Is this possible... i did researched the T5 more...
Old April 3rd, 2017, 10:31 AM

"""Understand the differences between the low-HP applications with the 1" input shaft vs. the other with the larger input shaft....

This statement above is just don't get and need help understanding...

And gear ratios as well. I dont understand what the numbers mean for exAmple 1st gear is 3.??

Any help would be appreciate, and please don't look down on me because I dont know. I learn very fast, understand concepts and retain. Thank you.
Old April 3rd, 2017, 10:39 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by RocketRonnie
Can i use a mustang t5 with gm bell housing. Is this possible... i did researched the T5 more...
Not enough. The Ford transmissions use a different bolt pattern at the bellhousing, a different pilot diameter, and a different input shaft length. D&D sells adapters to correct this. Also, the WC GM T5s from the mid-90s also use the Ford bolt pattern, but with a GM input shaft, so a different adapter is required.
Old April 3rd, 2017, 10:42 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by RocketRonnie
"""Understand the differences between the low-HP applications with the 1" input shaft vs. the other with the larger input shaft....

This statement above is just don't get and need help understanding...
The T5s use in low-horsepower applications had an input shaft that is smaller and thus weaker than those used for big V6 and V8 applications. Clutch disk availability is similarly limited for the small input shaft.

And gear ratios as well. I dont understand what the numbers mean for exAmple 1st gear is 3.??
T5s used in low HP applications had very steep first gear ratios. This was to allow the low power engine to get the vehicle moving. Unfortunately, this also means that the engine very quickly reaches redline in first gear. Depending on the vehicle and the rear end ratio, you may find that first gear is so steep that you need to shift before you even get across the intersection. Not a desirable trans in a performance application.
Old April 3rd, 2017, 11:08 AM

Thank for your post and time Joe.
Old April 3rd, 2017, 11:17 AM

I have been in similar situations as you described where I'm shifting fast on 1st due to it redlining fast. Did not know however that was referred as a steep gear, thanks for clearing up that term. So as far as the numbers, what a good first gear in Your opinion.
Old April 3rd, 2017, 11:19 AM

Off topic// what is the term "bellybutton moter" I see it from time to time referring to chevy and ford
Old April 3rd, 2017, 01:06 PM

They're like belly buttons, everybody has one

Last edited by young olds; April 3rd, 2017 at 08:51 PM.
Old April 3rd, 2017, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by young olds
There like belly buttons, everybody has one
thats a good one lol