Windshield washer pump restoration question

Old October 21st, 2016, 08:03 PM

Windshield washer pump restoration question

Hi. I want to revive my Cutlass 1970 washer pump. The piston works as supposed but it would not suck in any fluid. I changed the diaphragm kit, but no luck. Do I have to prime the pump for it to work? I still do not have the nozzles. Do I need them in place to test the pump?
Old October 22nd, 2016, 05:50 AM

I had same problems at my 76'. No water, added new diaphragm kit -> no water. And it moved.

Just "junked" ( put on the shelf) that motor and bought electrical version of that pump. Mechanically working things are beautiful, but there it was justified for the ease, and because it loosely looks like the original + no modifications needed anywhere else than hoses. It fits to same location even.
Be aware tho, it uses water like nothing else, since its not pulsed, and it squirts that water ALOT.

If its a museum car/ kept as original, this is not an option of course, but just my tip. I didnt have at the time any interest nor time to tinker with that pos.
Old October 22nd, 2016, 05:07 PM

OK. So the washer pump had a part that looks like a star that seems to actuate the plunger. That part was broken and reason why the plunger was not sucking in any fluid. I replaced it with a new pump from The Parts Place and installed it. Problem solved. The pump is squirting fluid as it should. ��