Custom A/C heater box

Search this Thread

Old March 1st, 2012, 06:11 PM

Custom A/C heater box

I have owned my '69 Olds twice now. It has never had heat. The first time I owned it the heater core went & I never fixed it. I had the car for six years and dealt with it. I sold it & the last guy that owned it removed everything heater related. I wish he hadn't, but there was/is a lot that I am fixing. He saved it all which is good. Anyway I own it again and this time it will have a heater in it. I didn't want to use the big A/C box and had a spare unit that I figured I would modify. I had found a post a while back....somwhere, how a guy made a gauge cluster with fabric (fleece)and fiberglass resin. Here's my twist on it. I cut the "nose" off the box, next Hot glue and stretch the material into place. After the fabric is good and "taught" apply resin. I then sanded and reapplied more resin to help smooth it out. I also flipped it over and applied after scuffing fiberglass mat and resin to the inside for strength. Next was to apply body filler after sanding the surface and sand again it out to smooth it and blend nicely. I hit it with primer to help show any spots that are left, but most of the work is done. I have a little touch up here and there and will repost my finished product which may be a week or two. Here are some pictures to show what I did. I didn't want the stock piece (which I still have) until I decide I want air again because it takes up so much space.
106_0460.jpg
Old March 1st, 2012, 06:13 PM

106_0465.jpg

106_0467.jpg

106_0473.jpg
Old March 1st, 2012, 06:15 PM

106_0477.jpg

106_0478.jpg
Old March 9th, 2012, 11:30 AM

Here are a couple more....Don't know if I like the gloss. It may end up Satin. I got lazy and used rattle can primer laid on thick to ease smoothing out. With the thick coats, it didn't cure properly so I had to strip all the primer off. I then shot it in a Lacquer primer. Paint is Eastwood Chassis black.

DSC00270.jpg

DSC00274.jpg

I haven't gotten any replies on this, but I figure at some point maybe someone will find this useful. I know chopping up an A/C box isn't quite the purist thing to do, but for anyone who may be bothered by this.....the box was somewhat beat up to begin with.
Old March 9th, 2012, 12:48 PM

I think you did well! If the box was damaged to begin with, then this was probably the best way to reuse it if you do not want air!
All you need to do now is install the resistor (in the airflow) and blower motor cooling tube (where it was originally).
Old March 9th, 2012, 12:50 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

I think you did a fine job, Tinner. Definitely my favorite tech tip for people to view on here this month.
Old March 9th, 2012, 01:15 PM

Awesome
Old March 9th, 2012, 02:53 PM

Hey everyone, I just wasn't sure if I had this in the right spot. When I found the post that gave me the idea, it was for a pillar gauge cluster (can't remember where...sorry). I thought the process was cool to use the fabric because it will form nice with the hot glue. This one was an old work sweatshirt. I did glass behind it after it took form. One important thing is to watch the hot glue....none should come into contact with what will be finished surface. If it does, you will need to clean out the area and fill it after it hardens. Hopefully I can get this installed this weekend. This car hasn't had heat in over 20 years. I may end up using this idea for a center console as well, I just have to figure out how to make it look like a period piece...with some modern improvements. Thanks

Last edited by tinner; March 9th, 2012 at 02:55 PM.
Old August 16th, 2012, 03:11 PM

Here's my last installment on this. It turned out nicely and hopefully I will drive the car this year. One thing that I would do if I did this again is screw it down to a piece of wood while glassing it to keep it 100% flat. Mine has a slight bow...but will be just fine. Sorry that everything is so dirty, I have been scrambling to get this thing driveable and the engine bay is one of my last cleanups. Here you go...

DSC00524.jpg

DSC00526.jpg