Adding 2nd rear deck speaker 1970 cutlass Supreme

Search this Thread

Old October 24th, 2021 | 06:41 AM

Adding 2nd rear deck speaker 1970 cutlass Supreme

1970 Cutlass Supreme, with the AM/FM radio with 1 dash speaker and 1 package tray speaker. Has anyone added a second speaker to the tray, it looks from the trunk there is no way to mount a second speaker without cutting out hole and drilling holes to mount 2nd speaker, I have purchased a new classic AM/FM with USB and Bluetooth radio to install but I need to install 2nd speaker in rear deck.
Any suggestions?
Old October 24th, 2021 | 06:51 AM
Old(s) Fart

Most people use the combined opening on the driver side to mount the second speaker.

Old October 24th, 2021 | 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by zmaster77
1970 Cutlass Supreme, with the AM/FM radio with 1 dash speaker and 1 package tray speaker. Has anyone added a second speaker to the tray
I did that to my 70 Supreme back in 1980, installed a pair of Jensen coaxials, similar to just about everyone else who had one of these cars back then. Can’t say as I remember everything involved, but it was easy even for a high school kid.

Last edited by Fun71; October 24th, 2021 at 10:26 AM.
Old October 24th, 2021 | 11:33 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Fun71
I did that to my 70 Supreme back in 1980, installed a pair of Jensen coaxials, similar to just about everyone else who had one of these cars back then. Can’t say as I remember everything involved, but it was easy even for a high school kid.
Yup! I do know that the Jensen coaxial installation typically required the use of a saber saw.

Honestly, in the 70s no one cared about preserving the package tray metal or the cardboard tray itself. We just hacked out the holes, bolted in the speakers from the top, and used the grilles that came with them.
Old October 24th, 2021 | 11:45 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Yup! I do know that the Jensen coaxial installation typically required the use of a saber saw.
Honestly, in the 70s no one cared about preserving the package tray metal or the cardboard tray itself. We just hacked out the holes, bolted in the speakers from the top, and used the grilles that came with them.
So true...
Old October 24th, 2021 | 11:46 AM

That’s about what I remember of most installations. Some folks mounted the speakers beneath the package tray and perforated the board above the openings to preserve the factory look.
Old October 24th, 2021 | 11:50 AM
Running On Empty

So easy to recall my first time removing the rear seat from my '67 4-4-2 to upgrade the speaker(s). It served me well not only for additional speaker upgrades as they came out, but the several times I locked my keys in the trunk - hey, no problem, I got this.
Old November 11th, 2021 | 08:06 PM

Factory speakers are flat and will fit under the rear deck with no issues. Most anything that is coaxial or triaxial will need to have the metal trimmed out. See the edited photo that Joe supplied. Your new speakers should have a cardboard template either inside, or as part of, the box. The existing mounting holes in the metal deck (marked with red dots) should match the template so align the template and mark the opening size then cut out. There are many ways to do this; nibbler, jigsaw, plasma cutter, grinder with a metal cutting blade, tin snips... I prefer the tin snips but I have cut out thousands of doors and rear decks with them. The resulting metal edge will be razor sharp no matter how you cut it so be careful. You can then cut the cardboard package shelf to match the holes in the metal. Once the holes are cut to the correct size, the speakers can be mounted from above or below depending on the speaker grills. Most speaker grills will be thin so the speakers will need to be bottom mounted. They will have bolts or studs to mount the speakers with. Line up your template again and drill the mounting holes through the package tray, put the grills on top, the speakers on the bottom and use the nuts to secure them. Run the speaker wires up the passenger side of the car to avoid the vehicle wiring and connect to the new head unit. You're now a stereo installer!

Old November 11th, 2021 | 08:14 PM
Banned

Any and All 6x9 speakers line up with the factory holes. I never cut any metal out.
Old November 11th, 2021 | 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by no1oldsfan
Any and All 6x9 speakers line up with the factory holes. I never cut any metal out.
If the metal shrouds the mid/tweeter it effects the sound, I cut. Your choice.
Old November 11th, 2021 | 08:52 PM
Banned

I used spacers under the deck. I grew up installing car stereos as a full time job. I hated hacking up factory metal. I had to cut out metal over and over. Killed me everytime. I completely cut out the rear deck out of a factory 69 Firebird 400 with a fold down rear seat option. The entire rear shelf. Killed me. So many cars. I tried to save as many as I could.

Good old man call out on Jensen Tri-Axial speakers 🤣😂 We All had them. Well until I got Kenwood's. Jensen's were ground breaking.
Old November 11th, 2021 | 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by no1oldsfan
Good old man call out on Jensen Tri-Axial speakers
Hey now you lil whippersnapper, I ain’t old!

And get off my lawn.
Old November 11th, 2021 | 09:39 PM
Banned

Hey now you lil whippersnapper, I ain’t old!

And get off my lawn.
Ha ha ha. All of us oldsters had them or knew of them.
I do not sweat being old. I can spell. I can complete a sentence. I can make change for a dollar. I can rebuild a carburetor. I know how to check fluids. I am good.

Last edited by no1oldsfan; November 11th, 2021 at 09:42 PM.
Old November 11th, 2021 | 09:43 PM

Yep, those and a 100 Watt amplifier / graphic equalizer for the ultimate in ear splitting high fidelity mobile tunes
Old November 11th, 2021 | 09:48 PM
Banned

Ha Ha Ha. You are going to make us look old. I remember when people gobbled up Craig under dash 8 tracks. Don't dog an 8 track. Unreal clean sound back in the day. My 69 Toronado had a factory 8 track. Loved it and wore it out. Kids these days have no clue.
Old November 11th, 2021 | 09:50 PM
Banned

Yep, those and a 100 Watt amplifier / graphic equalizer for the ultimate in ear splitting high fidelity mobile tunes
I was spoiled when I started working at a car stereo shop in the mid eighties. I still have the first Kenwood deck that could operate multiple CD changers. 😂🤣😂
Old November 11th, 2021 | 09:54 PM

The factory 8 track in my 70 Supreme would change tracks when I hit a speed bump. I distinctly remember the very loud thump it made when it hit the bottom of the trash can. I figured I gained a couple MPG by jettisoning that dead weight and installing a Sanyo AM/FM cassette player.
Old November 11th, 2021 | 10:05 PM
Running On Empty

I went through ~1/2 dozen 8-track tape players - they ate tapes like candy. I got my 1st car in 1969 - a 1967 442. Normal AM/FM radio (I think it may have been stereo). I installed ~1/2 dozen different 8-track tape players in that car over a four year time frame. A couple I installed under the dash attached to the dash, and others I attached to the floor pan just under the dash over the transmission hump - that was actually the best place to install since the tape player didn't bounce around as much. I didn't want to beat-up the rear deck so I just bought speakers in boxes and laid them in the back seat. That idea lasted about one year as I recall, when I finally decided to install two new rear speakers in the rear deck. I'll tell you though, I sure went through 8-track tape decks and a bunch of 8-tracks. I know the tape decks ate at least two Beatles White Album tapes, two Paul & Linda McCartney Ram Album tapes, a couple Steppenwolf Album tapes, many more.
Old November 11th, 2021 | 10:08 PM
Running On Empty

The factory 8 track in my 70 Supreme would change tracks when I hit a speed bump.
Indeed, mine did same - especially if I mounted it under the dash attached to the dash. It wasn't quite as bad mounted on the floor pan above the trans tunnel - but it would still change tracks. Each time it did that I'd cringe hoping it wouldn't blow off the rubber belt or eat another tape.
Old November 11th, 2021 | 10:16 PM
Banned

Never happened in my Toro. That was such a cool A car. I only remember it changing tracks at a snails pace in the middle of a song.

Let me expose myself for a minute. I remember driving in deep deep snow with the 8 track playing as we drove thru the school's fields and thru people's front yards. Never Ever skipped. Oh the old days. I will always love Toronado's. Best winter car ever. 455 front wheel drive burnouts too? I win.
Old November 12th, 2021 | 05:34 AM

Early 80s Holy Trinity

Pioneer Supertuner (8-track or cassette)
Clarion 300EQB
Jensen Triax 6X9s.

As long as the customer understood I was making irreparable changes I had no problem carving up a vehicle.
Old November 12th, 2021 | 08:12 AM
Banned

I hated cutting up cars. It was my job so I did it but didn't always love doing it.

Nevermind what we used to have to do to install old Car Phones.