Old April 24th, 2017, 05:38 AM
It's a Cutlass.

I have acquired a Quadrajet with the number 7045213. From my little bit of checking it seems it came from a pickup truck in the early 70s, off a 350 motor. I would like to use it for my C/S. Currently there is a twice (at least) rebuilt quad from a 455 on it with the front fuel inlet. I'm in no way well versed on these. Externally, the 213 carb has a side inlet, and some sort of emissions fitting in the rear. I will take pictures this evening, but from this info, can anyone tell me if it's feasible to use for my Cutlass? The previous owner of the carb thinks it has never been rebuilt. I see no obvious (like a Holley sticker) evidence to contradict him. The screws look stock to me, the carb is very dusty, dirty, but otherwise looks pretty good, the side fuel inlet looks like it is stock too. But, as I said, I'm very new to all this. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old April 24th, 2017, 06:06 AM

Jeff, you an use a Chevy Q-jet on your Cutlass. The only thing you would have to do is change the fuel line from the fuel pump to the carburetor. During the rebuild you might consider re jetting it and putting different rods and hangers in it too, but that's not mandatory. The only thing though is that Chevy Q-jets have the same issues as the Olds Q-jets. Leaky fuel inlets, worn out throttle shaft bushings, etc. Why not rebuild the Q-jet that's on it now?
Old April 24th, 2017, 06:12 AM
It's a Cutlass.

Thanks for the reply. The current carb was rebuilt by Holley long ago, and then poorly by me recently (first try). I was told it is not long for this world or words to that effect, so have been looking for a replacement. My 350 had been bored out and a mild cam installed by the previous owner, and this carb was from a 455. I think. Anyway, I will probably see if CQR (Clint) can help me again.
Old April 24th, 2017, 01:02 PM

The carb on my car has been rebuilt (by me) so many times I can't remember. Had it since the 80s. As long as your float bowl, air horn, or throttle body aren't severely warped or cracked, the carb can be rebuilt and continue to work.
Old April 24th, 2017, 02:45 PM
Administrator

X2^^^^^^^
Old April 25th, 2017, 06:19 AM

Jeff, who told you that your Q-jet is on it's last leg? I agree with Ken and Eric that any carburetor can be rebuilt again and again without any problems as long as all of the mechanical parts are in good condition.
Old April 26th, 2017, 12:43 PM
It's a Cutlass.

so, I may have exaggerated a little, but there are issues with my carb. Maybe it's not as bad as what I'm indicating though. Still, the one I have been given appears to be in better shape and if it has never been rebuilt, wouldn't it be a better choice? I had some computer problems and never did put pictures up, I will do that later this afternoon.
Old April 26th, 2017, 12:52 PM
It's a Cutlass.

old carb, remember these? broken & shimmed. Bent choke linkage, and not fully hooked up. Maybe other things wrong, not sure. I really think the car should run better and I think part of the problem is this carb. I also thought Clint had said it wasn't in too good of shape when he had worked on it for me.
DSCF6131_zpsof5eayly.jpg
DSCF6050_zpsh0hnviha.jpg
Old April 26th, 2017, 12:55 PM
It's a Cutlass.

Maybe I'm just being picky, but I don't care much for this look either.
DSCF6049_zpsovmuhcjk.jpg
Old April 26th, 2017, 03:45 PM
It's a Cutlass.

new/old carb
DSCF6230_zpsi5hbvdoj.jpg
DSCF6232_zpsbjs6ic8i.jpg
DSCF6228_zpsb2tgqjne.jpg
Old April 26th, 2017, 08:47 PM

Like was mentioned, Most Quadrajets can be saved, unless too many broken pieces. As far as performance, unless you are wanted to recalibrate another carb, you are better off staying with what was correct for your engine.
The 7045213 has huge main air bleeds and would likely be very lean for your engine. Any Quadrajet can be calibrated to run on any engine, but without the reworking, they don't swap across makes, years, or engine size very well. They end up like a store bought carb, may start and run on anything, but also not correctly tuned either.
Old April 26th, 2017, 09:14 PM

Does that Chevy carb have a heated choke?

Last edited by Fun71; April 26th, 2017 at 09:16 PM.
Old April 27th, 2017, 05:19 AM

The Chevy carb is definitely in better condition. You could always remove the rods, jets and hangers from the Olds carb and put them on the Chevy carb. At least, if they are from the same generation. I know Q-jets changed the design of the jets and metering rods once or twice, I'm just not sure what years it was. Plus, you might even be able to change the air bleeds, I've never done this though.
Old April 27th, 2017, 01:22 PM
It's a Cutlass.

As far as what was/is correct for my engine... I'm not sure what that would be now with it being bored out and the aftermarket intake etc. The carb on there was from a 455 motor evidently. What would be ideal maybe is finding someone to swap the Chevy carb with for one that will be most easily adapted for my Cutlass. Not sure about the details like a heated choke, it's definitely not electric, that's about all I can say.
Anyone have something to swap??
I will try to find out more about the air bleeds for my own edification, and who knows, maybe I can rebuild it on the bench and see how that goes.
Old April 27th, 2017, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by jeff in colorado
As far as what was/is correct for my engine... I'm not sure what that would be now with it being bored out and the aftermarket intake etc. The carb on there was from a 455 motor evidently. What would be ideal maybe is finding someone to swap the Chevy carb with for one that will be most easily adapted for my Cutlass. Not sure about the details like a heated choke, it's definitely not electric, that's about all I can say.
Anyone have something to swap??
I will try to find out more about the air bleeds for my own edification, and who knows, maybe I can rebuild it on the bench and see how that goes.
The Chevy carb is divorced choke. Your Olds carb is hot air choke. Your engine doesn't have the provisions for divorced choke, so choke would be inoperable. I don't use a choke at all so that may not be an issue.

The main air bleeds are part of the main fuel supply system in the Quadrajet. Jets and rods are only part of the total calculation. That Chevy carb was designed with main air bleeds that are very large, and require very large jets. The Olds main air bleeds are about half the size and a smaller jet would provide correct fuel air mixture.

Basically, because of this, switching jets and rods from one Quadrajet to another doesn't provide the same results.
Old April 28th, 2017, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by Quadrajet Power
Basically, because of this, switching jets and rods from one Quadrajet to another doesn't provide the same results.
Jeff, that's why you should send your Q-jet out to be professionally serviced; or better yet, replace it with a Holley.
Old April 28th, 2017, 10:09 AM
It's a Cutlass.

Thanks for the very helpful info. I had wanted originally to have my carb rebuilt by a pro, but it seemed it would either take 12 months or no guarantee at all if it had been rebuilt before, which it has. Neither option appealed to me then, or now. I will endeavor to persevere. Thanks again.
Old April 28th, 2017, 02:35 PM

Endeavor to Persevere. The plaque in my office says this.

We stay about a month turnaround, and stand behind our work, if you are interested. If you want to do things yourself, we sell hand assembled kits and parts for all Quadrajets. Be glad to help if you need us.
Old May 1st, 2017, 09:08 AM
It's a Cutlass.

I need to talk to someone there in Texas. I will look into it.

Search this Thread