1984 Delta 88 coupe windows are crooked - help

Search this Thread

Old April 7th, 2020, 09:18 PM
Areams

1984 Delta 88 coupe windows are crooked - help

First time asking a question, hope I知 doing this correctly and in the right spot.

Problem I知 having with my big 2 door right now is the power windows go down and back up tipped down/forward to the front of the door.

They start off down straight for about 1-2 inches, then they rock forward. If I don稚 physically hold them square, they won稚 go down or up correctly. Passenger side has the clip on the top back corner of the window but it jumps out, driver side is off the window, but I do have it to put back on. Both windows are having rocking issues.

Any ideas what I should check first? Thanks in advance for any help or insight.
Old April 8th, 2020, 06:04 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Alex Joseph
Any ideas what I should check first? Thanks in advance for any help or insight.
Yeah, the Fisher Body Manual for your year. Tipped glass like this is almost always due to a broken plastic roller in the window mechanism. The FBM has diagrams that show how the mechanism works and instructions on how to repair it.
Old April 8th, 2020, 06:51 AM
Areams

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Yeah, the Fisher Body Manual for your year. Tipped glass like this is almost always due to a broken plastic roller in the window mechanism. The FBM has diagrams that show how the mechanism works and instructions on how to repair it.

Thanks! Found one cheap on eBay and ordered it.
Old April 8th, 2020, 06:54 AM

Alex, you should start by removing the door panel to inspect the window mechanism. As Joe mentioned, a FSM will have step by step instructions on servicing the window mechanism. If you don't feel comfortable removing the door panel without a FSM then ask a buddy for help before taking the car to a shop. Probably one of the retainers for the window is broken. You can usually find Dorman replacement parts for hardware like that at the auto parts store.
Old May 10th, 2020, 07:56 PM
Areams

Fixed!

Solved the issue. Took apart the door panels and everything looked good. So I made sure to clean and lube all the mechanisms while I was in there. Looks like it was due to two broken plastic pieces in the upper back corners of the glass. Found one that was kept in the car when I bought it in the ash tray.

I busted out the dial caliper and reverse engineered the part and was able to 3D print one at home and have it fixed the same day instead of having to wait for shipping. Printed a couple extra for back ups just in case, but so far so good about a month later.

Thanks for the help!