Non-Olds Engines For discussion on non-Oldsmobile engines. All forum rules apply.

Whoe is me, the Money Pit again

Search this Thread

Old December 3rd, 2023, 06:05 PM

Whoe is me, the Money Pit again

Anyone with BMW seat experience, please give me a shout-out. I'm starting to replace the seat upholstery on my Z3 and I have run into a problem. The left-hand side (driver's side) electric seat has refused to move back and forth, up and down, no problem, it's getting juice. It needs to move back and forth mostly to their full extent to expose the seat rail's hidden bolts. I know when an electric motor gives out there must be a way to get to it and the only way I can see is somehow get the rail bolts out, maybe torch them out from the bottom? I'm at a loss as to what to do to get to those hidden bolts... Any ideas or tricks... Tedd
Old December 3rd, 2023, 07:29 PM

Prolly best to ask on a BMW forum for Z4 models. I found a lot of information for the wife’s Z on a few forums.
Old December 4th, 2023, 05:54 AM
Past Administrator

Just grabbing at straws here with NO BMW experience but, there may be a way to disengage the motor to enable the seat to be moved manually without driving the whole forward/aft drive mechanism. Maybe???
Old December 4th, 2023, 08:47 AM

No room that I can see to get to the motor, kinda a chicken before the egg thing. I'm headed to European Motor works today and ask a few questions. There has to be a way to replace a motor if it stops working, I would think. More to follow..Tedd
Old December 4th, 2023, 09:59 AM
Oldsdruid

Bust My Wallet coming for Tedd again?

IIRC, Wheeler Dealers did some type of BMW that had the same issue when Ant Anstead was on the show. Think they made some kind of nylon spacer that had busted up.
Old December 4th, 2023, 04:05 PM

Was told about a fix when at European Motors, the lead screw which is attached to the motor drive has a nut on each end and if you are Houdini and very small plus lucky there is a chance that you can back it off and get some distance between the seat and the back part of the car exposing the troublesome nuts. My neighbor who is Houdini like may get a call. Meanwhile, I have a single seat roadster>... Tedd