General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Help with seat extenders!

Search this Thread

Old April 13th, 2013, 01:54 PM
Formerly "Shimmer"

Help with seat extenders!

Just bought seat extender for my 71 442. Says bolts to seat and track bolts to floor. I've tried and tried to figure this one out. Got em from PP. Any advise? PP# in10503z- Rebuilt the car and this is whipping my a--.
Thanks guys!
AL
Old April 14th, 2013, 07:35 PM

Looks like your original studs go in the holes (there are two on one end as I think the studs front to back are offset so having two holes makes each part universal) and then your seat bolts to the studs that are in the bracket.

I got the ones from Year One for the '49 and they worked slick. The only problem I ran into was the original bolts ('49's did not have studs with nuts) were too short. Quick trip to the hardware store solved that. The Year One design is one plate for each seat foot.
Old April 15th, 2013, 02:57 PM
Formerly "Shimmer"

Originally Posted by starfire
Looks like your original studs go in the holes (there are two on one end as I think the studs front to back are offset so having two holes makes each part universal) and then your seat bolts to the studs that are in the bracket.

I got the ones from Year One for the '49 and they worked slick. The only problem I ran into was the original bolts ('49's did not have studs with nuts) were too short. Quick trip to the hardware store solved that. The Year One design is one plate for each seat foot.
Thanks for the input. So these brackets bolt to the floor and the the seat to them?
AL
Old April 15th, 2013, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Al Graff
Thanks for the input. So these brackets bolt to the floor and the the seat to them?
AL
Yes.
Old April 15th, 2013, 05:28 PM

For some reason the application chart starts with 1966. Not sure why they wouldn't work on 64-65 A body.....anyone?
Old April 16th, 2013, 03:43 AM
Formerly "Shimmer"

Yes.
Boy that sure is going to look ugly!
Old April 16th, 2013, 03:45 AM

Boy that sure is going to look ugly!
Maybe they go under the carpet? You'd have to poke new holes in the carpet for the studs.
Old April 16th, 2013, 03:52 AM
Formerly "Shimmer"

Maybe they go under the carpet? You'd have to poke new holes in the carpet for the studs.
That's a thought. Makes sense. What a bitch....
AL
Old April 16th, 2013, 05:02 AM

Hells bells Al, I just looked at the Parts Place ad again. It does look like you have to take your seat tracks off, then bolt those to the bottom of the seat, then the studs that are on the brackets are used to bolt your tracks back on. What a PITA. The ones I got from Year One worked much easier imo.
Old April 16th, 2013, 06:23 AM
Formerly "Shimmer"

Hells bells Al, I just looked at the Parts Place ad again. It does look like you have to take your seat tracks off, then bolt those to the bottom of the seat, then the studs that are on the brackets are used to bolt your tracks back on. What a PITA. The ones I got from Year One worked much easier imo.
Allan,
Do you have their part #. Tried to look up but....you can send to me at
Resimprove@aol.com That's what I thought!
AL
Old April 16th, 2013, 07:00 AM

pp...$79

yo....$109

If your right about the different mounting instructions, than the PP ones might leave more headroom....

Thoughts on that...???
Old April 16th, 2013, 12:55 PM
Formerly "Shimmer"

Originally Posted by olds style
pp...$79

yo....$109

If your right about the different mounting instructions, than the PP ones might leave more headroom....

Thoughts on that...???
just spoke with YO. Part # sb246 makes sense and $39! Check the pictures on their site.
Al
Old April 16th, 2013, 12:57 PM
Formerly "Shimmer"

Just checked YO sb246-seems the way to go. If I'd known when I was restoring the car I would have moved the brackets back. But hind site 20/20
Old April 16th, 2013, 02:15 PM

just spoke with YO. Part # sb246 makes sense and $39! Check the pictures on their site.
Al
Yup, them's the ones I got for the '49. They worked real nice, now the steering wheel isn't in my chest anymore and my legs are at a more comfortable angle.
Old April 16th, 2013, 02:45 PM

i just finished installing my own extenders , went to Lowes picked up some 1/8 x 3 flat stock measured the holes in floor & drilled em into the stock measured the holes in seat mounts set the holes back 2" on the flat stock & drilled them . ran bolts through holes brazed bolt heads to the underside of stock & mounted to the floor under the carpet ( need to make new holes in carpet ) mounted the seat works great. BILL
Old April 16th, 2013, 06:32 PM
Formerly "Shimmer"

Originally Posted by fitter bill
i just finished installing my own extenders , went to Lowes picked up some 1/8 x 3 flat stock measured the holes in floor & drilled em into the stock measured the holes in seat mounts set the holes back 2" on the flat stock & drilled them . ran bolts through holes brazed bolt heads to the underside of stock & mounted to the floor under the carpet ( need to make new holes in carpet ) mounted the seat works great. BILL
So now you tell us!Great idea!
AL
Old April 16th, 2013, 06:36 PM
Formerly "Shimmer"

Yup, them's the ones I got for the '49. They worked real nice, now the steering wheel isn't in my chest anymore and my legs are at a more comfortable angle.
Good nuff for me. Ordering in the AM. Thanks for all your input!