1972 98 Regency Tiffany Edition on ebay

Old January 6th, 2019, 03:44 PM

1972 98 Regency Tiffany Edition on ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1972-Ninety...1:pf:0&vxp=mtr

Wish it were mine...

What a gorgeous car. Of course, they want a fortune for it. To my knowledge, this is the first GM car to have pillow top seats, making it the most comfortable car (in my opinion), beating the Buicks and Cadillacs of that year. Too bad that today people pay $70,000 and up for luxury cars, and can't get comfy seats like that.
Old January 7th, 2019, 02:32 PM

Oh what a beautiful 98. However, as a Olds Ninety Eight nut myself, I love every year 98, this broker/flipper is off his rocking chair asking $30,000 for this car. Even if it were showroom new, it's just not possible. He could at least change the burned out interior door lamps. The chrome is not what it should be at 30g and you can see very clearly the repaint, at least in the quarter panel closeup photos. Oldsmobile did not have an orange peel finish nor did any GM car at the time. Am I picking? No way, the car is stunning but at 30 thousand bucks, it had better be flawless and then some. Maybe that included two of them as I think 15g would be a hard figure to get. 10g would be a great deal. Even if it is a first year Regency, it's still a big 70s 4 door automobile. This was the first car to offer the plush loose pillow interior which was soon copied by Cadillac, Buick, Lincoln, Imperial and almost everyone else within a few years. Another Oldsmobile first!

Last edited by Herbie; January 7th, 2019 at 02:35 PM.
Old January 7th, 2019, 04:00 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Seriously overpriced, even with being in such nice shape. This seller constantly overprices his offerings.
Old January 7th, 2019, 04:24 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

These big old cars are nice and very comfortable but there is limited demand for them. Seller smoked some bad gonnja. If they get $15,000 they will do well. If it were a coupe it might do a little better. JMO.
Old January 7th, 2019, 04:52 PM
Lansing built

Most dealers are off their rocker on prices! One guy that I known had a 1971 Cutlass supreme which he looked my car over several times as a guide for his. I thought I saw his car at a Detroit classic dealer for $34995.00. last year. I ran into him at home coming, he said he sold to a broker for them for seed money for a 442. he received $19400.00.

Pat
Old January 7th, 2019, 05:11 PM

Nice 98, had a 72 Tornado and the interior was not that nice.
Old January 7th, 2019, 08:30 PM

The ad says this:
with just 50,251 miles verified by the Oldsmobile Club of America
I didn't know the OCA was in the business of verifying vehicle mileages. Is this true?

Also, he mentions that the car was driven to the OCA Nationals in Albuquerque. I attended that event, and I happened to get a photo of this car. Not that it adds much to what can already be seen in the ebay listing, but it's another view, and the car doesn't have its fender skirts.

Old January 8th, 2019, 05:53 AM

That's weird, why would you drive one of these 98s without the fender skirts. The only time I take mine off is for cleaning and wheel service.

Definitely a cool car. Maybe I should sell my Olds and ask $25k. There's a sucker born every minute.
Old January 8th, 2019, 07:26 AM

I don't think we can assume the car was being driven without the skirts. I may have just happened by when he was cleaning the car and had them off to clean the tires.
Old January 8th, 2019, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by Olds64
Maybe I should sell my Olds and ask $25k.
See if he sells it for anywhere near his asking price first. Asking prices don't mean a thing as far as what a car's actual value is. It's selling price that matters. My guess is that this car won't sell for anywhere near $30K. The seller, Gateway Classic Cars, is a dealer that has lots of ads on craigslist and ebay and routinely has what would seem to be astronomical asking prices. But they manage to stay in business. My guess is that they end up selling them for much less than their asking prices, but we never know what the final selling prices are. One thing their asking prices DO accomplish is getting people to talk about them and their cars. That doesn't hurt.
Old January 8th, 2019, 11:02 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by jaunty75
I don't think we can assume the car was being driven without the skirts. I may have just happened by when he was cleaning the car and had them off to clean the tires.
Ding ding ding - looks like we have a winner.

Old January 9th, 2019, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by Olds64
That's weird, why would you drive one of these 98s without the fender skirts. The only time I take mine off is for cleaning and wheel service.

well i'll tell ya why.me and a couple buddies were in omaha partying about every weekend back in the nid 80's,we were on the 480 thru downtown just rockin home in my 70 98.passin everything in site,and BAM chucka chucka chuka whoom thought what the hell was that,look in the rear view mirror and see my drivers side wheel cover rolling along behind us and rolling for the right shoulder,then bam it clips a car and goes flipping into the median.there was so much traffic there was no way i was stopping so just kept on going.got down the road a ways and stopped and the fenderskirt was gone.wheel cover blew it off.when it came off it must have caught the lever and released it,

Old January 9th, 2019, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by cherokeepeople
wheel cover blew it off.when it came off it must have caught the lever and released it,
This seems highly unlikely, or it's the cleverest wheelcover in the history of wheelcovers. To remove those fender skirts, don't you have to reach up behind the skirt, grab a lever, pull it UP, then push it TOWARD THE WHEEL, and then pull it DOWN? I have experience with both '71 and '73 Custom Cruisers, which have the same skirts as the 98s, and this is how the skirts are attached and removed. This seems like a lot to ask of a wheelcover. My guess is that the fender skirt wasn't properly attached to begin with and the force of the bump from the wheelcover flying off simply knocked it off. The skirt might very well have fallen off at the next big pothole.
Old January 9th, 2019, 12:14 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I have to agree with Dan. Most of the time when the fender skirt is loose, it's because the rear of the skirt hasn't been properly slotted into the metal receiver stay that holds the alignment of the skirt. In all the 250K miles I drove my 83 Regency Brougham and 73 Custom Cruiser I have never seen a skirt come off by accident. And the 73 Custom Cruiser has a very heavy wheel cover. It had extra spring fasteners IIRC that held it on pretty darn tight.
Old January 9th, 2019, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
This seems highly unlikely, or it's the cleverest wheelcover in the history of wheelcovers. To remove those fender skirts, don't you have to reach up behind the skirt, grab a lever, pull it UP, then push it TOWARD THE WHEEL, and then pull it DOWN? I have experience with both '71 and '73 Custom Cruisers, which have the same skirts as the 98s, and this is how the skirts are attached and removed. This seems like a lot to ask of a wheelcover. My guess is that the fender skirt wasn't properly attached to begin with and the force of the bump from the wheelcover flying off simply knocked it off. The skirt might very well have fallen off at the next big pothole.
well i should have added that it was an iowa car so did have it's share of rust,and the wheel cover was a cady wire wheel cover,that alone weighed about 20 lbs.
Old March 7th, 2019, 07:21 AM
1971 Delta Ninety Eight

Looks like the seller has it down to $16k