Some photos of my 63' 98 & a question

Search this Thread

Old August 1st, 2007, 03:27 AM

Some photos of my 63' 98 & a question

G'day just a couple of pics of our olds down here in Tasmania, Australia
These photos are old ones from the previous owner and has since had a front end rebuild and been lifted in the front two inches to get her sitting level and usable. Next on the list is a full retrim with fabric from SMS.
Now to the question can anyone tell me difference between a waterpump with A/C and without on a 394. Ours has A/C ,but has been played around with and had a aftermarket clutch fan fitted. Any help would be appreciated as no one seems to know in Australia.

P.S Any business still selling these you can recommend ?

And after all that heres the pics.
Thanks Matt.
Old August 1st, 2007, 05:10 AM
Past Administrator

Matt, My Goodness that's a beautiful car! I love that color. Those wheels look good on it too. I can't say for sure about the 394 but I know on most of the Olds engines the water pump neck is a longer length to accomodate the air conditioner compressor which is one more belt forward toward the radiator. Therefore the car without a/c has a shorter water pump neck.
Old August 1st, 2007, 04:34 PM

Thanks Dan, thats just as I thought but better to be sure by asking.
Old August 2nd, 2007, 06:36 AM

Speaking of water necks...
Learned something new the other day. The t-stat gasket on my 394 was leaking, and since I wanted to replace the temp sender with a NOS unit I had, I decided to just do them both at the same time. I ran down to the local Napa, and asked for the gasket. They said the book listed a part number for the 371 gasket, but all they list for the 394 was a sheet of gasket material you cut your own from . Weird. I always thought the water necks on them should be the same. I bought both the pre-cut gasket and the sheet of material to see what would work.

Sure enough, when I got it apart I found the 371 gasket was too small . Ended up cutting my own from the sheet of gasket material. It was interesting...I'd always thought they'd be the same, but the difference was pretty big. Weird.
Old August 25th, 2007, 03:43 PM

That is odd that the 371 water neck gasket was too small. I thought the 371 and the 394 were the same engine externally.