New owner of a 1965 98

Search this Thread

Old August 29th, 2022, 03:58 PM

New owner of a 1965 98

Hey guys, I just bought a 1965 Olds 98 convertible and was wondering if anyone has tips or tricks for working on it? It has sat for 45 years in a dirt barn, and I know I’m gonna have to replace the rear suspension for sure. Any tips for working on the vehicle or places I can get good parts? From the research I’ve done, the GM A and B body parts will work on these vehicles, such as Cutlass parts. Help please?

Old August 29th, 2022, 05:14 PM
Oldsdruid

Ninety Eight is a C body. Doubtful much from the A-body car will work.

Everything from doors forward interchanges with the B-body 88 except the grille and hood spear are different. The back half of the car is Ninety Eight only. C-body brake drums are wider, otherwise suspension is similar to the B cars.

If you don't yet have it, 1965 factory Chassis Service Manual and Body Manual.

www.fusick.com for what little reproduction stuff there is for the big car. Pat (deaddds) is a good source for 60s big car stuff.
Old August 29th, 2022, 06:21 PM
Old(s) Fart

To expand on what Glenn wrote, the Olds B-body and C-body cars are mechanically the same except for the wheelbase. The C-body is about three inches longer. The front suspension is the same. The rear axle is pretty much the same though the heavier Ninety Eight has bigger rear brakes. Sheet metal is the same from the firewall forward. Dash is the same. The rest is different. NOTHING mechanical from an Impala works on an Olds full size. The 1965-70 B/C-body cars used unique frames, suspension, and brakes for each division. A few of the suspension, steering, and brake parts for the Olds full size cars are difficult to find and expensive when you do - examples are correct upper ball joints, center link, idler arm, and brake drums. The 1965 model year throws an additional wrinkle into this, as they used smaller front wheel bearings in the first half of the model year. This was an oversight when the cars were redesigned, and the enlarged bearings were used late 1965 through 1970. Also, there were two steering linkage designs, the Saginaw and Thompson. Parts do not interchange, but I believe all the 1965 cars have the Thompson parts. The rear axle is a Pontiac 8.785" axle that's unique to these full size cars. It uses ten bolts on the cover but 12 bolts on the ring gear. As for Cutlass parts fitting, the only things that do are engine-related, or minor stuff like headlight switch, ignition switch, A/C compressor, etc.
Old August 30th, 2022, 05:17 AM

Do a powerwash on it and post pictures, looks like it has good bones!
Old August 30th, 2022, 01:19 PM
GCH

Very intresting and thanks for info all about the car . More pics would be very intresting
to look at Now i must figure out if my 98 is an early or late model.
Old August 31st, 2022, 05:35 AM

OHHH YEAHHH!😎

I love the 98s. Here's another source you might use for parts:

https://www.kanter.com/

As Joe said, be aware that the Oldsmobile 98s and 88s are unique compared to a lowly Ch#$y WIMPala.😁
Old August 31st, 2022, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
To expand on what Glenn wrote, the Olds B-body and C-body cars are mechanically the same except for the wheelbase. The C-body is about three inches longer. The front suspension is the same. The rear axle is pretty much the same though the heavier Ninety Eight has bigger rear brakes. Sheet metal is the same from the firewall forward. Dash is the same. The rest is different. NOTHING mechanical from an Impala works on an Olds full size. The 1965-70 B/C-body cars used unique frames, suspension, and brakes for each division. A few of the suspension, steering, and brake parts for the Olds full size cars are difficult to find and expensive when you do - examples are correct upper ball joints, center link, idler arm, and brake drums. The 1965 model year throws an additional wrinkle into this, as they used smaller front wheel bearings in the first half of the model year. This was an oversight when the cars were redesigned, and the enlarged bearings were used late 1965 through 1970. Also, there were two steering linkage designs, the Saginaw and Thompson. Parts do not interchange, but I believe all the 1965 cars have the Thompson parts. The rear axle is a Pontiac 8.785" axle that's unique to these full size cars. It uses ten bolts on the cover but 12 bolts on the ring gear. As for Cutlass parts fitting, the only things that do are engine-related, or minor stuff like headlight switch, ignition switch, A/C compressor, etc.
Old August 31st, 2022, 12:17 PM
GCH

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The 1965 model year throws an additional wrinkle into this, as they used smaller front wheel bearings in the first half of the model year. This was an oversight when the cars were redesigned, and the enlarged bearings were used late 1965 through 1970.
Don´t want to hijack the thread but i suppose i have the smaller wheel bearings when i have
time build code 01A. Thanks for all info
Old August 31st, 2022, 12:26 PM
Oldsdruid

01A is first week of January 1965, four months into 1965 production. My parts books don't give a changeover date and 1965 is one of the Service Guild/Tech Bulletins sets I don't have.

I would guess four months in, the change to 2nd type larger bearings would have occurred unless the were using up parts stocks.
Old August 31st, 2022, 01:04 PM
GCH

Originally Posted by rocketraider
01A is first week of January 1965, four months into 1965 production. My parts books don't give a changeover date and 1965 is one of the Service Guild/Tech Bulletins sets I don't have.

I would guess four months in, the change to 2nd type larger bearings would have occurred unless the were using up parts stocks.
Thanks for info about this rocketraider . Always
nice to learn more about the car
Old September 10th, 2022, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Olds64
OHHH YEAHHH!😎

As Joe said, be aware that the Oldsmobile 98s and 88s are unique compared to a lowly Ch#$y WIMPala.😁

This reminds of the last time I had my 1959 98 out at a local show. Someone said just like a Chevrolet. I had to correct them and say "better than a Chevrolet".

Last edited by gkhashem; September 10th, 2022 at 07:46 AM.
Old September 10th, 2022, 08:27 AM
Oldsdruid

That's when a "bless your heart" is appropriate.

Don't get me wrong, I like 59/60 Chevrolet (all the GM lineup really) but except for sharing glass and body shell, none of the 1959 GM cars share a thing with each other.

Besides, HydraMatic do not whine in park and neutral like PowerGlide do, and unlike Dynaflow they SHIFT.😏

Course by 1965 you had the best of both worlds- a torque converter transmission that shifted and had an advanced design converter to boot!

Which leads us to another thing. Zachjd, if your Ninety Eight's transmission feels sluggish, it has what is called a "Switch Pitch" torque converter. The vanes inside change angle depending on driving conditions. As long as the car has sat, the SP solenoid or the switch that activates it may be sticky. A transmission fluid change will help the internals of it, and cfair has a couple tutorial threads on cleaning and adjusting the throttle position switches.

Last edited by rocketraider; September 10th, 2022 at 08:29 AM.
Old September 10th, 2022, 07:44 PM
Past Administrator

Originally Posted by Olds64
OHHH YEAHHH!😎

I knew you would be all over this thread Jesse. I like it as well. And please give that baby a bath!
Old September 11th, 2022, 10:51 PM
GCH

Waiting for more pics and info i can se that Zachjd ,s car is a non factory ac car just like ours.
Old September 12th, 2022, 06:11 AM

Even with a switch- pitch torque converter, the TH 400 is light years better than the Slim Jim Rotohydramatic available in the 64 98. Ask me how I know...😊
Old September 12th, 2022, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Zachjd
Hey guys, I just bought a 1965 Olds 98 convertible and was wondering if anyone has tips or tricks for working on it? It has sat for 45 years in a dirt barn, and I know I’m gonna have to replace the rear suspension for sure. Any tips for working on the vehicle or places I can get good parts? From the research I’ve done, the GM A and B body parts will work on these vehicles, such as Cutlass parts. Help please?
Welcome to the site!

What a great and Interesting car. Looks pretty straight except for being bumped in the right front. Power windows, power antenna.

A '65 non A/C car has the one year only alternator mount.

We love to celebrate cars like this coming out of hiding! Please send more pics and keep us posted on your progress.
Old October 8th, 2022, 03:12 AM
GCH

Any news about the 98 Zachjd ?