My Oldsmobile 98 '71

Search this Thread

Old October 17th, 2009, 08:30 AM
Landyacht Ambassador PL

My Oldsmobile 98 '71

Hi
My name is Wojtek.
I'm from Poland.
I bought my Olds in the October of 2008 through ebay.
In November 2008 they will swim up to the Polish port Gdynia.
It is wonderful, large, certainly not a European car.

Old October 17th, 2009, 09:48 AM

Talking Welcome to CO

Wojtek,

Nice 98, I would guess that it is easy to intimidate the small cars on the road with yours. You are a canidate to the Land Yacht Club, The president Olds64 will chime in shortly to welcome you. We have other members from you neck of the woods on the site I'm sure they will see you post and welcome you to the crowd.
Old October 17th, 2009, 10:02 AM
Oldsdruid

That's a nice Ninety Eight and a great color! I noticed the old car on the license plate. Is that Poland's antique car license plate?

I've said it many times. You European guys have my respect for owning and maintaining an American car there. It can be difficult finding parts for them here in the US. I can only imagine what you go thru in Europe.

Visit www.73-77olds.com and look for zolav8 there. He's in Hungary and has developed a good network of parts suppliers that will ship to Europe.

What is the white car in the picture with your 98?

Also surfed around the other photos in your site- great cars! That big Dodge has a rare option with the driving light in its grille. Even here in US I've seen only one or two that had it.

Last edited by rocketraider; October 17th, 2009 at 10:07 AM.
Old October 17th, 2009, 11:00 AM
Landyacht Ambassador PL

I thank for the friendly welcome.
Yes, the car is on antique license plates. It was this way more easily. Without the change of dipped headlights, of indicators.
There are companies which parts are importing into cars from the USA in Poland. It isn't cheap, but almost all mechanical parts are available.

A white car is Polish Fiat 125p from 1973. My first historic car.

Oldsmobile was bought from the seller from Idaho, therefore he has this plug to the immersion heater of oil.
And people in Poland indeed are looking around for my "American cruiser".
Old October 18th, 2009, 06:30 AM

Welcome! -Your olds are Land Yacht Club car, sure...?

Last edited by rane; October 18th, 2009 at 07:50 AM.
Old October 18th, 2009, 07:02 AM
Z3d
Super User

Very nice condition...great looking car! Welcome to the site
Old October 18th, 2009, 09:34 AM
Landyacht Ambassador PL

What's this Land Yacht Club?
Old October 18th, 2009, 09:45 AM

The Land Yacht club is just a joke I started on our webiste. It is for owners of large 4 door B and C bodies. Your car definitely qualifies as a land yacht!

I like your car. The color is great too. I have a 71 98 that is Sandalwood. I hope to paint it this spring.
Old October 18th, 2009, 11:27 AM
Landyacht Ambassador PL

Originally Posted by Olds64
The Land Yacht club is just a joke I started on our webiste. It is for owners of large 4 door B and C bodies. Your car definitely qualifies as a land yacht!

I like your car. The color is great too. I have a 71 98 that is Sandalwood. I hope to paint it this spring.
For fun willingly I will stop the club by. What conditions are, apart from the car? Successes at painting your car.
Old October 22nd, 2009, 03:02 PM
in love with a '71 98

Welcome to the group Wojmar! You have a beautiful 1971 98. I remember seeing it when it was listed on ebay, and I still have pictures of it saved somewhere. I am very glad this car went to someone who will care for it.

I have a '71 98 as well, so I know what great cars they are!

-Bob
Old October 23rd, 2009, 05:44 AM

Wojmar, there isn't really a club chat board or forum. It is just a joke I started about a year ago. The only requirement is that you own a 4 door B or C body. If you want you could be our Landyacht Ambassador to Poland (you can change your user type in the Control Panel).
Old October 23rd, 2009, 11:00 AM

Wojmar, if the Olds is your first large american car then I expect you will soon find out why Americans love their old cars so much.

I think the term "Land Yacht" come from the way most large American cars drive. Due to their size they act somewhat boat like: they float right over the small waves (bumps) and when they encounter a large wave (such a dip in the road) they wallo front to back as a boat would.

The owners of various brands have used variations on this concept. Old's and Cadillacs are Land Yachts. The forum for large Dodges, Chryslers and Plymouths is called the "Dry Dock" which refers to the places that large ships are repaired.

Lastly I have a friend from Poland who's name is Wojciech. As you know it is pronounced "Voy-check". Is you name pronounced "Voy-mar"?

Carmak
Riverside, Iowa
66 Olds 98 LS
Old October 23rd, 2009, 11:43 AM
Landyacht Ambassador PL

Originally Posted by carmax
Wojmar, if the Olds is your first large american car then I expect you will soon find out why Americans love their old cars so much.

I think the term "Land Yacht" come from the way most large American cars drive. Due to their size they act somewhat boat like: they float right over the small waves (bumps) and when they encounter a large wave (such a dip in the road) they wallo front to back as a boat would.

The owners of various brands have used variations on this concept. Old's and Cadillacs are Land Yachts. The forum for large Dodges, Chryslers and Plymouths is called the "Dry Dock" which refers to the places that large ships are repaired.

Lastly I have a friend from Poland who's name is Wojciech. As you know it is pronounced "Voy-check". Is you name pronounced "Voy-mar"?

Carmak
Riverside, Iowa
66 Olds 98 LS
I thank for this information. It is indeed my first American car. And I am already in love with him. In Poland we are saying the "American cruiser" about such big American cars.
And to the name I have exactly Wojciech, the same as your friend. My nickname is putting two names together, my and of my wife which has to the name Marta.
Old October 23rd, 2009, 11:47 AM
Landyacht Ambassador PL

Originally Posted by Olds64
Wojmar, there isn't really a club chat board or forum. It is just a joke I started about a year ago. The only requirement is that you own a 4 door B or C body. If you want you could be our Landyacht Ambassador to Poland (you can change your user type in the Control Panel).
Willingly I will stop the club by.
Old October 23rd, 2009, 11:59 AM
Landyacht Ambassador PL

Originally Posted by elwood565
Welcome to the group Wojmar! You have a beautiful 1971 98. I remember seeing it when it was listed on ebay, and I still have pictures of it saved somewhere. I am very glad this car went to someone who will care for it.

I have a '71 98 as well, so I know what great cars they are!

-Bob
Your blue car is also wonderful. How does he look like .. inside?
Old October 23rd, 2009, 01:23 PM
Past Administrator

Welcome to out site Wojtek. Glad to have you as a member here. Nice car too.
Old October 25th, 2009, 06:32 PM
in love with a '71 98

Originally Posted by wojmar
Your blue car is also wonderful. How does he look like .. inside?
It's not bad inside. Its the blue cloth brocade pattern interior. The front door panel arm rests are rough, and the drivers side of the front bench seat torn up, but the rest of the interior is really nice...not a crack on the dashboard either. I want to get the seats recovered and a new carpet kit eventually.
Old November 17th, 2009, 01:26 PM

Congrats on the 98 purchase, best car ever!
Your 1971 was one of the best years for 98's in my opinion. It was the biggest and longest, still had the powerful 455 (they watered the engines way down in 1972) and it runs on unleaded gas...best of all worlds!
Old November 20th, 2009, 06:25 AM
Texas Jim

Originally Posted by Dean O' Banion
Congrats on the 98 purchase, best car ever!
Your 1971 was one of the best years for 98's in my opinion. It was the biggest and longest, still had the powerful 455 (they watered the engines way down in 1972) and it runs on unleaded gas...best of all worlds!

Wojmar, It's great getting to know you and reading your posts. Your english is GREAT, and it's very interesting that you refer to your car as "he," because here in the USA we refer to our cars as "she." For example; "She goes like a bat out of hell." LOL! You own one of the last of the "big car era." Americans were proud of their big powerful cars f/ decades. I remember, when I was young, alot of the roads used for long distance traveling were two lane roads w/ the dotted lines in the middle for passing if there wasn't anything coming the other way. When you had the chance to get by someone who was only creeping along, these big powerful cars gave you the ability to put the throttle down and jump by the slower cars before another car was again coming along in the on-coming lane. People used to call second gear, when the car would automatically down-shift when you'd floor the pedal, "passing gear," used to pass the slower cars when needed. These big cars were also something to bragg about, as being American was a thing to be proud of. My father, even though his family was German and ie;grace before meals was said in German at his mother's and great Aunt's and Uncle's, him being a WWII vet, he was American, and wouldn't let anything in the house, no matter what it was, if it wasn't Made In The USA. He owned nothing but an American car w/ a big V8, and it sounds crazy now, but wouldn't let ANY foreign car pass his American car on any road. At that time, there were only VWs, Renaults, and stuff like that over here. When more foreign cars came into the States in the late '60s and beginning of the '70s, he bought, in '67, a '67 Plymouth Satellite w/ a 383, then a '69 Olds 98 convert w/ the 455, then a '70 Challenger R/T SE w/ a 440. He had the Challenger when he died in '72. Those were the days of the proud Americans, and the cars coincided w/ and were a part of that whole thing. I hope I didn't sound like I was "rambling on," but I just wanted to explain to you the idea of what these cars once represented. Ofcourse, this idea has faded over the last few decades, but underneath, more-so than alot of people know, the "Proud American" still lives on in alot of us.
I was very surprised to see how "rust free" your 98 is, as I know the weather there where you live is somewhat cold and snowy. I must say, "she's" a real beauty. LOL! I also think it's neat that you included your wife in your user name. My bet is that not many guys on here included their wife in their doing w/ this site. In my house, the cars, w/ the exception of driving and enjoying a clean and good running ride, are a "guy thing." I do the maintaining, fixing (wrench turning) and polishing, and my wife does the driving and enjoys not letting any foreign car pass her powerful V8 equipped American car. LOL! j/k.
Take care, I'll be watching f/ more posts from you, and my very best to your wife. Jimmy.

Last edited by Texas Jim; November 20th, 2009 at 06:33 AM.
Old November 21st, 2009, 10:05 PM
1971 442 conv

wojmar,
That is a very nice Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight. I have a question:
Why are there red flowers on the white Fiat in this picture?

----------------------------
1971 Oldsmobile 442 Convertible
www.Texas442.com
Old November 22nd, 2009, 06:59 AM

-if it is to bury it...? That´s a joke!
Old December 26th, 2009, 11:30 PM
Landyacht Ambassador PL

Originally Posted by Texas442
wojmar,
That is a very nice Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight. I have a question:
Why are there red flowers on the white Fiat in this picture?
----------------------------
1971 Oldsmobile 442 Convertible
www.Texas442.com
hahaha - Since it is a wedding vehicle. Olds with times also.
So small backing for the hobby.