Headliner screws

Search this Thread

Old December 16th, 2022, 09:35 AM

Headliner screws

On my 1977 Olds 98 Regency Coupe , the seller recovered the headliner but did not do the finishing touches which I fixed.

One finish was putting the clothes hooks back up. I had to pull down the headliner on one side to reattached the dome light wire and when I did I could see the roof had a double metal wall where the clothes hook screws went into.

After playing with it awhile to no avail to line up the screw hole with the hooks. I got smart and noticed the screws were self tapping and the metal it went into was a double wall on each side. So I drilled new holes and easy as pie screwed in my hooks.

The last item that is a bit loose is the block in the front that holds in the sun visors. I really cannot find the screw hole. Is there a double wall there? Anyone know, I suspect there may be but do not want to drill a hole in my roof.

I have come to the conclusion on assembly, they must have drilled holes and screwed these items in. It would have been slow to actually find a pre-drilled hole with the headliner in place. No way they could have perfectly aligned the headliner with a pre-drilled hole. Thus the reason for a double wall to add strength and to aid assembly.

Old December 29th, 2022, 02:27 PM

Guess no one knows?

Last edited by gkhashem; December 29th, 2022 at 02:30 PM.
Old December 30th, 2022, 03:59 AM

Did you drop the headliner enough to see where the sun visor block mounts? You can always use a straight pin and probe the headliner near the sun visor block for the screw holes.
Old March 26th, 2023, 06:09 PM

I can try that, I did this for the clothes hanger hooks and determined the headliner had been moved just enough so the screws did not align with holes anymore,