Frustrated and tired 72 olds 98 coupe

Search this Thread

Old July 28th, 2013, 10:55 PM

Question Frustrated and tired 72 olds 98 coupe

ok, a little help from my olds friends is needed

1, Why can you buy headers for and 88 but not the 98 with the 455. aren't the front ends the same. If not. can someone please send me the part number I need for the right manifolds so I can help the more 1972 olds 98 breathe a little bit better.
2, what intake manifold should I use. I like edlebrocks but openheimer is soo much cheaper. I know I want to use the idle-5000 rpm intake.

I am not looking to make this boat a musclecar but she is screaming for a little more power. what else besides the exhaust and intake can I do besides taking the whole engine out. I have looked at cams but that scares me because it's the inside of the motor and I don't have the confidence yet for that.
Old July 29th, 2013, 03:54 AM

On my 1971 Royale 88, I have 68/72 A-body Hooker headers. Drivers side needed a little "improvement. " I heated in front of the collector and brought down the angle a bit, not a big deal. I have a performer intake on it. Parts were from a project Cutlass I had laying around. Used stuff is out there cheap. No one makes headers pacificly for 71/76 B/C bodies. Good luck, Ken
Old July 29th, 2013, 06:57 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by bigbetsy72

1, Why can you buy headers for and 88 but not the 98 with the 455. aren't the front ends the same. If not. can someone please send me the part number I need for the right manifolds so I can help the more 1972 olds 98 breathe a little bit better.

Hopefully someone will chime in with what PN and make was easiest for them.

2, what intake manifold should I use. I like edlebrocks but openheimer is soo much cheaper. I know I want to use the idle-5000 rpm intake.

Edelbrock and Offenhauser (openheimer), both make quality manifolds.

I am not looking to make this boat a musclecar but she is screaming for a little more power. what else besides the exhaust and intake can I do besides taking the whole engine out. I have looked at cams but that scares me because it's the inside of the motor and I don't have the confidence yet for that.

You will not see a huge power improvement by changing manifolds and adding headers, but it will give a boost to your ego. The duals will give you the most bang for your buck.
Old July 29th, 2013, 07:10 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

There is no difference between manifolds (or headers) for an 88 or a 98 with the same engine block.

- Eric
Old July 29th, 2013, 07:13 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by bigbetsy72

The 88 and 98 are identical forward of the firewall. The difference is in the wheelbase, specifically in the rear seat area. That does not affect header fitment. No one lists headers for 98s because no one BUYS headers for 98s. Any header that fits a D88 will fit the same year 98.

Openheimer??? Is he related to Wisenheimer?

If you mean Offenhauser, get the Edelbrock Performer. Your land barge wants low end torque. You'll want a dual plane intake for that.
Old November 19th, 2013, 03:52 PM

I used the Y / Z performance manifolds on mine worked well...