64/98 clock frustration

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2017, 06:20 PM

64/98 clock frustration

Hello all, been a while- my 64 has been sitting very idle lately, as my project list keeps growing. In the fall, I started the process of replacing the clock in my 98. I got most of it back in, and then realized that the clock I purchased did not continue to work. Figuring it was a bad connection at the back of the clock, I didn't worry about it. This and every other project I started on my olds got pushed back for a bit.

Fast forward to tonight. I adjusted the tension on the positive terminal wire, and went to see if that worked. Well, it didn't. I guess the positive terminal on the back of the refreshed clock was fractured, and it fell off. Frustrated, but determined, I tried to fix it. Cleaned up the broken tab, found a small screw, and proceeded to drill the back of it out until the screw fit. Tried to reassemble it, and it broke off completely. so the mechanism in that clock is crap. Tried to see what was up with the original one, and it works, but is very screwy- and not in the best of shape anyway.

Checked out eBay, and for the 1st time since probably last summer, there were no listings for 63-64 Olds 98 clocks.

Guess I'll put it back together broken and keep my eyes open for replacements- or maybe send the clocks somewhere to get converted and restored.

Thanks for reading my long-winded vent.

Adam
1964 98 Luxury Sedan
Old May 4th, 2017, 06:59 PM

If it is a Borg clock, you can probably get a quartz conversion kit for it. Check with Instrument Services to see if they have a kit for you? I have converted several of the '69-'72 clocks to quartz for customers & they keep about perfect time then. It sounds like you're pretty mechanical & could probably do the conversion yourself or I offer my services also.
Old May 4th, 2017, 07:55 PM

X2...just convert it and forget it. Quartz conversions are the only way to go. All my cars are running them, I've got one that's maybe 15 years old.