1975 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Coupe

Search this Thread

Old September 9th, 2017, 12:44 PM

1975 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Coupe

Hi,

I am trying to figure out the value of my 1975 Olds 98 Regency 2 door. One owner, 80200 miles. The car was my grandfather's. It has the 455 V8 engine, auto windows, cruise, A/C (but needs to be recharged), original paint, carpet, and floor mats, and upholstery. This car has AIR BAGS. I have read that this can increase its value but I do not know by how much. I am looking to sell it because I just don't have the storage for it anymore. It runs beautifully and is super quiet. Radio works great. No cracks on dash. IF someone could help me with valuing this car I would appreciate it.

Old September 9th, 2017, 03:23 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site. While it certainly is a really nice car they don't have the following as the A bodies do. in its current state I would venture to guess in the $3500-5k range, but I would start at $7-8k. See if one of the local franchised dealership used car departments can point you to someone that can dye those stains. I would also remove the bug shield and detail it. GLWS
Old September 9th, 2017, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Jennifer Gray
It has the 455 V8 engine
All 98s did. It was the only engine available on the 98 from 1968 to 1976. In 1975, it was rated at 190 hp and known as a "smog motor" because it was heavily detuned relative to earlier 455s to comply with the emissions requirements that were coming into being in the early and mid-70s

This car has AIR BAGS. I have read that this can increase its value but I do not know by how much.
I would say by about $1.50. I've never heard that the presence of this option, which Olds called the "Air Cushion Restraint System," added anything of significance to the value of a car that had it.

After 42 years, I wonder if the system still works, and, if it ever deployed in a collision, whether anyone would know how to put it back together.

As far as value, I would say that oldcutlass is right on the money. Probably $4,000 to $5,000 in current condition (it does need work to bring it up to "car show" condition). All you need to do is find someone to buy it.

One other comment: Is something wrong with the headlights? None of your photos presents a full view of the front end of the car, but in the photos below, which I've cropped to highlight the issue, it looks the headlights on both sides are aimed downward. That's not necessarily uncommon in an older car, even one not driven much and stored properly as the plastic threaded holes that hold the screws that aim the headlights can dry out and crack over the decades, and the screws don't hold anymore. I think that replacements are readily available at auto parts stores.

Last edited by jaunty75; September 9th, 2017 at 07:52 PM.
Old September 10th, 2017, 02:50 AM

Gotta love that Regency interior! I've only seen one of those GM 70s airbags on one other car. It was I think a 74 Cadillac Fleetwood Talisman in a dark burgundy color.

Nice car, wish I could buy it!
Old September 11th, 2017, 09:05 AM

I would say by about $1.50. I've never heard that the presence of this option, which Olds called the "Air Cushion Restraint System," added anything of significance to the value of a car that had it. Quote.
No, the airbags are a big deal to a number of collectors who are looking for these cars and does add value to this car. This is a nice color combo which also helps. We have a number of factory ACRS GM cars in the collection and the only reason we bought them was because of the airbag option. If your car had a white interior which was rare and a sunroof, I would take the car.

Last edited by Herbie; September 11th, 2017 at 09:07 AM.
Old September 11th, 2017, 05:21 PM

My 2017 collector car price guide has a #4 car at $3K which lists it as good condition needing none or only minor work. Usable as is. From the photos which is a starting point, I would give it a 4+ or maybe 3- depending on an inspection. Just my .02
Old September 11th, 2017, 07:40 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

That is a very nice car. I bet grandpa put that bug deflector on there. As mentioned, I would take that off. The car will look a lot better without it. Good luck with the sale.
Old December 15th, 2017, 12:22 PM

I used to own a 75 98 just like this except mine was and LS, not a Regency with about 56,000 miles. As noted, full size cars like this are not as popular as Cutlasses. It took me about a year and half to sell mine. Just have to be patient and wait for the right person to come along. I got $5200 for it. Mine was a 3+ / 2-

I would recommend cleaning up the engine bay and getting the air cleaner decal. It will help to dress it up a bit.
Old December 16th, 2017, 09:57 PM
Hookers under Hood

Welcome, Your Grampa took really good care of his car. Looks to be in really nice shape.
I couldn't put a value on it but Oldcutlass has been in the car business for many years, so I would take his word and list it in the ball park suggested. Depending where you live, it may bring a bit more or less but you have a starting list price to go on.
GLWS
Eric
Old December 18th, 2017, 06:04 AM

List it for $8k obo. Your car looks to be in excellent condition and it's a coupe. GLWS!
Old December 21st, 2017, 10:02 PM

Good looking car! I would suggest that you spend the winter touching up a few things__ trim shop to re-dye the seats, maybe have the right side sill plate/ jam repainted, headlight adjusters replaced and yes ,detail the engine bay. Good buff and glaze. Then cruise a few car shows with it this spring and you might be surprised how much attention your granddads Olds will bring. Ask $8,000, and Good luck .
Old November 6th, 2018, 10:50 AM

Hi,

I am trying to figure out the value of my 1975 Olds 98 Regency 2 door. One owner, 80200 miles. The car was my grandfather's. It has the 455 V8 engine, auto windows, cruise, A/C (but needs to be recharged), original paint, carpet, and floor mats, and upholstery. This car has AIR BAGS. I have read that this can increase its value but I do not know by how much. I am looking to sell it because I just don't have the storage for it anymore. It runs beautifully and is super quiet. Radio works great. No cracks on dash. IF someone could help me with valuing this car I would appreciate it.

Not sure if this is still available- but I am in Colorado (Denver) and am interested to at least take a look if it is. Any one know if she sold it?
Old November 6th, 2018, 02:17 PM
Administrator

She was last on the site September 11th, 2017 08:37 PM. You could try sending her a private message through the site. Good luck
Old November 6th, 2018, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
She was last on the site September 11th, 2017 08:37 PM. You could try sending her a private message through the site. Good luck
Yeah- I sent her a PM. Hopefully it sends to her main e-mail since I have no other idea how to get in touch with her.
Old November 7th, 2018, 04:55 AM

Have you checked the CL in S. NM? I haven't seen this car for sale recently and I browse Oldsmobiles nation wide on CL often. That being said there are plenty of 71-76 98 coupes for sale across the nation, if you're willing to travel to purchase one.
Old November 7th, 2018, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by Olds64
Have you checked the CL in S. NM? I haven't seen this car for sale recently and I browse Oldsmobiles nation wide on CL often. That being said there are plenty of 71-76 98 coupes for sale across the nation, if you're willing to travel to purchase one.
I actually did an "all of craigslist" car search- I do these often to search all around the country at once. I couldn't find any 1974-1976 cars with ACRS. (My criteria)

Last edited by ice4life; November 7th, 2018 at 06:56 AM.
Old November 7th, 2018, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by ice4life
I couldn't find any 1974-1976 cars with ACRS. (My criteria)
Those are going to be harder to find. Why do you want ACRS? I surely wouldn't want to be in a collision when one of those 1st generation airbags deploy. They would make Takata airbags look like a bed of marshmallows!
Old November 8th, 2018, 07:34 AM

Those are going to be harder to find. Why do you want ACRS? I surely wouldn't want to be in a collision when one of those 1st generation airbags deploy. They would make Takata airbags look like a bed of marshmallows!
The trick is to not get into the collision. But joking aside- this was a pretty sophisticated system with dual stage inflation etc; Back when people actually had the intelligence and abundance of resources to properly over-engineer things.
Old November 8th, 2018, 07:36 AM

Why do you want ACRS? I surely wouldn't want to be in a collision when one of those 1st generation airbags deploy.
He doesn't want a 43-year-old, untested restraint system because he wants to rely on it in a crash. He wants it because of the rarity and historical significance of it.

Last edited by jaunty75; November 8th, 2018 at 07:40 AM.
Old November 8th, 2018, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
He doesn't want a 43-year-old, untested restraint system because he wants to rely on it in a crash. He wants it because of the rarity and historical significance of it.
Yeah exactly- I have been looking for a while with no luck. On hemmings, ebaymotors, bring a trailer, cars.com, autotrader (and classic), car gurus- I look for 1974-1976 Buick Electra Coupes/Rivieras, 1974-1976 Olds Toronados/98 Coupes and 1974-1976 Cadillac Coupe Devilles/Eldorado Coupes. I would like a nice large coupe with the ACRS- And I really would like a toronado or 98 as they are the only ones that have the "air cushion" label on the passenger side.
Old November 8th, 2018, 01:12 PM

I always loved the 75' Toronado since the days of this commercial:
Old November 8th, 2018, 01:21 PM

Cool commercial!

Olds used that "driving in the rain" theme in Toronado print advertising from '75 through '78. I didn't know they made a TV commercial out of it as well.
Old November 8th, 2018, 01:38 PM

Still on the hunt for an ACRS equipped olds

Found this 98 but I think it is sold: http://car-from-uk.com/sale.php?id=5534&country=us
Old May 8th, 2019, 11:41 AM

I'm not sure if the original poster is still checking this but that is a beautifully preserved, pretty rare 98! Even at 80K, that car most likely still drives like a dream. Coupes are less commonly found in nice shape and adding the ACRS makes it an even nicer find. Do not let the negative comments towards full-sized cars deter you, you have a beautiful car that demands a fair price and it will get it if you are patient. There are lots of collectors that specifically want ACRS cars and finding one as clean as this is pretty rare.

As for the value of this car not comparing to that of an A body. I occasionally catch some Barrett Jackson auctions on Motor Trend TV and I just recently saw a 1983 Toyota pickup outsell just about every car on the block that day. It sold for $50K. A '75 98 with 151 miles sold a few years
back for about $35K. It all depends on your audience. Don't expect a fortune but do not let it go too cheap either. These are outstanding cars that are greatly increasing in popularity and earning more and more respect as time goes on.

For the record, the 98 did not always only come with a 455 from 68-76. The '75 specifically had an optional (Pontiac 400). That only lasted one year as the '76 was back to the 455 only.

Jennifer, please update us with the status of your grandfather's beautiful 98.
Old June 10th, 2019, 04:39 PM

I didn’t realize Cruise control was available in 75 with the ACRS .. interesting