The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Let's try this again...

Search this Thread

Old February 25th, 2015, 09:57 AM

Exclamation Let's try this again...

My name is John Rainwater, I am 41 years old and until a few weeks ago, I had never heard of a 1966 Oldsmobile Starfire.

All my life I have always wanted something original and unique. I just hadn't found it. Enter, the 66 Starfire. Since the day I spotted that four feet of trunk with the fancy script on it, that was all I could see, I have to say I was a little entranced. I finally stopped to find out what it was. I have done a little research and by a little research I mean I have devoted nearly every waking hour into learning all I can about this car.

What I have found is that apparently this is unique enough, there is very little NOS available. Granted, all of the mechanical is available on my favorite discount auto parts website, but some of the other stuff is more difficult. I found front fender patch panels; good. Even the windshield is on that site; excellent.

What I need is a couple floor pans and probably the trunk pan. I feel pretty confident that I can work out the somewhat crumpled right front fender (I found some used ones) and with a little practice can probably reattach the package tray to the rear deck filler panel.

But, are other GM B body floor pans acceptable replacements since apparently Riviera was more popular?

Please and thank you all. Happy motoring.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
0225150925.jpg (108.0 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg
0225150925b.jpg (59.5 KB, 68 views)

Last edited by jrainwater73; February 25th, 2015 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Adding a couple photos
Old February 25th, 2015, 10:59 AM
Oldsdruid

With exception of the Starfire-specific parts (front fenders because of the vents, and full quarterpanels) all the sheetmetal interchanges with the 88. Also front & rear bumpers.

NOS 1966 trim is out there but like all Starfire stuff expensive. Each year Starfire has its own unique one-year-only trim.

The back seat and lower inside sailpanel garnish moldings have to come out to replace the package tray. Pontiac vendors can supply the package tray; it's same as 1965-66 Grand Prix and Fusick (www.fusick.com) may have caught on to that by now. Or are you talking about the metal filler panel?

65-68 Olds 88 and possibly Pontiac B car floors and trunk pan will work. Riviera is an E body and will share little to nothing with the Olds B and C cars. Chevrolets use different frames and pans.

Is this one a buckets/console or bench/column shift car?
Old February 25th, 2015, 11:00 AM

The car looks like it needs too much. All or that side chrome is pot metal along with rear finish panel and tailights which is probably pitted. Yes trim is hard to find in nice shape. NJ craigslist has a pretty nice 66 Sfire for 6500 and would prob take less. I would say pass on this car or use as a parts car. I redid a 66 that needed no floor or trunk work and there was little interest in it when I sold it about 6 years ago.
Old February 25th, 2015, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by rocketraider

Is this one a buckets/console or bench/column shift car?
Bucket/Console and thanks. I'll have to check my source I was sure the Riv was B, but what do I know? I'm new to this. And thanks for the info.
Old February 25th, 2015, 12:29 PM

Duly noted

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
The car looks like it needs too much. All or that side chrome is pot metal along with rear finish panel and tailights which is probably pitted. Yes trim is hard to find in nice shape. NJ craigslist has a pretty nice 66 Sfire for 6500 and would prob take less. I would say pass on this car or use as a parts car. I redid a 66 that needed no floor or trunk work and there was little interest in it when I sold it about 6 years ago.
I was looking for encouragement... I appreciate the professional opinion though. I need something to tinker with or I'm going to lose my #@*& mind. Honestly though, I got nothing but time and I am really looking forward to doing anything. Who knows, maybe it will be too much work in the end but by then I could have some nice stuff to part out on here.

You have your profile pic dressed up nice. Did you ever race it B-Stock? I ran the dad-in-law's Super Street S-10 many years ago. 11.11@113 w/1.58 60-foot; what a rush!

Last edited by jrainwater73; February 25th, 2015 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Keyboard left out a number
Old February 25th, 2015, 12:37 PM

I am always up for a challenge as well and if you are committed I would like nothing better than to see this one back up and running! I would say look for a 4dr parts car 65 -66 Olds 88 and it will get you your metal needed for patching. I may have a few trim pieces around if you need them.... quarter trim and rear finish panel. Possibly a grill too...

My 442 is photoshopped. It did have a racing history but now just a cruiser...
Old February 25th, 2015, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Riviera is an E body and will share little to nothing with the Olds B and C cars. Chevrolets use different frames and pans.
http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/..._feature3.html
Old February 25th, 2015, 12:52 PM

Nevermind. I saw the X-frame thing too late. My bad. I sit corrected.
Old February 25th, 2015, 12:53 PM

Thanks. I know where to find you if my butt kissing pans out.
Old February 25th, 2015, 01:53 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site. Although I've seen worse starts, I admire your tenacity and excitement.
Old February 25th, 2015, 08:05 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Welcome to classicOlds.

I've got to say that when I saw those photos I winced.

While it is certainly possible, and, in some ways admirable, to restore that car, I would seriously consider looking for one in better condition, especially rust-wise, and buying that.
Even if you have to fly to Arizona or California, you will be WAY ahead by the time it's all said and done, and you will still have PLENTY to tinker with. Plenty.

Good luck either way!

- Eric
Old February 25th, 2015, 08:18 PM

I know. I know. What I want is a 56 Ford pickup. I had a rusted out 71 Cutlass S that I regret getting rid of and my first truck was a 1960 Chevy Apache 10 that I never got a chance to finish... You think those are bad, you should see the right front fender. I'm going to bang it out if it kills me.
Old February 25th, 2015, 08:44 PM
Phantom Phixer

Your car's body most closely resembles a Pontiac Grand Prix . And I think you will find the most body parts interchanges there .
Original Parts Group offers replacement floor pans for a 65 Grand Prix that MIGHT fit ;

https://www.opgi.com/grand-prix/1965...ls/floor-pans/

You will have to look at them carefully and compare. They also offer a whole host of other body parts in their catalog which also MAY fit an Oldsmobile . These would include weatherstrips , glass , armrests , ashtrays , etc , etc .
Ames Performance Engineering is also a good source . And they have a Grand Prix catalog available for download here ;

http://www.amesperf.com/html/download.html

Some of these companies also travel to swap meets and , depending on your location , you may be able to catch them there and bring your old parts there and actually compare them before buying.

Last edited by Charlie Jones; February 25th, 2015 at 08:52 PM.
Old February 26th, 2015, 05:04 AM

Cool. Thanks for the info. I have a line on everything except that floorpan. I did some sheetmetal work with my father in law on his drag truck so if all else fails I'll just make one myself. There are old racing buddies of dad's all over around here, someone probably even has an English wheel.
Old February 26th, 2015, 05:24 AM

Welcome aboard. I think it all depends on how perfect you want to make it. If you are just wanting something to make a interesting occasional driver or a show car. Just do not expect to get back what you put in it. If the tunnels in the floor are fairly solid, fab in patches. Just make sure the frame and body mounts are solid before any other work or money is spent. Mine was rough, I am trying to keep to a 10 grand rebuild budget. This includes engine and brake rebuild, Paint and bodywork, top and interior. 95% of the labor is mine. But I have more time then money. I buy parts, put them on, pay them off and repeat.