The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Hello All, Whats This Worth Question

Search this Thread

Old September 10th, 2009, 01:08 AM

Hello All, Whats This Worth Question

Tried to post where it belongs but keep getting a default message. I have a 1964 F-85 that has been in storage for about 15 years. This is a California car which has never saw salt or snow. All sheet metal is original and car is straight with a laquer paint job to its original color. Factory AC, buckets, consol, tach. Needs interior. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I would post some pics but for some reason I am not allowed to.
Old September 10th, 2009, 03:28 AM

Get your 5 posts in then you'll be able to post around the site and post pics of your car.
Old September 10th, 2009, 04:14 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to CO. You should be able to post and also put up pics now.
Old September 10th, 2009, 05:45 AM

It is hard to say, especially without pictures. If the interior needs to be restored and the engine hasn't started in 15 years then those will lower the price some.
Old September 10th, 2009, 05:57 AM

Yes, pictures would help us. Second, and it may be a dumb question, but for a car that's been sitting for 15 years, it's not an automatic yes, but does the engine run and is the car driveable?

Also, you say it's an F-85. Does that mean it's not a Cutlass? You say it has buckets, and that normally means Cutlass, but you didn't use the word, and there is a difference that could affect value.
Old September 10th, 2009, 07:27 AM

Talking Welcome to CO

Please add a longer discription on your car. 2dr, 4dr, post car, hardtop, etc. Information and pictures are what we need to help you out
Old September 10th, 2009, 12:32 PM

From the appraisals I have had done on mine, the 64s don't seem to be worth nearly enough :-( We asked for our money back from one because he was out in left field.

Make mine and it's condition a 68-69 body style and the value probably increases 5-10K easily! We definately need to see pics and get more info on the body style, etc.
Old September 10th, 2009, 04:14 PM

WOW thanks for all the replys. Was on another Olds forum and not even one reply. Bear with me while I fire away at 5 post's.
Old September 10th, 2009, 04:16 PM

My very first car I still have but not selling. Its a '65 442 that I sunk every penny into while I was a teenager. That was some odd 30+ years ago.
Old September 10th, 2009, 04:17 PM

Unlike all my friends that sold thier cars to get married I kept "everything".
Old September 10th, 2009, 04:22 PM

They said it will never be worth anything...however when I see them now they kick themselves in the ****! Here's some pics. I should have taken some of the '65 but didnt. The air cleaner is original from my '65. I do have the original red air cleaner for the '64
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0972 (Small).JPG (62.7 KB, 22 views)
IMG_0988 (Small).JPG (37.3 KB, 20 views)
IMG_0978 (Small).JPG (50.4 KB, 27 views)
IMG_0974 (Small).JPG (51.9 KB, 19 views)
IMG_0987 (Small).JPG (18.3 KB, 6 views)
Old September 10th, 2009, 04:25 PM

I took this car out of storage last summer while being unemployed. This was sitting for almost 20 years. It is a CAL car.
Attached Images
IMG_0514.JPG (135.8 KB, 11 views)
IMG_0516.JPG (131.5 KB, 12 views)
IMG_0519 (Medium).JPG (69.8 KB, 22 views)
IMG_0525 (Medium).JPG (69.6 KB, 11 views)
IMG_0526 (Medium).JPG (67.4 KB, 15 views)
Old September 10th, 2009, 04:28 PM

And another that has been sitting for about the same as the '64.
The last is my pride and joy
Attached Images
IMG_0991 (Small).JPG (56.1 KB, 8 views)
IMG_0994 (Small).JPG (51.3 KB, 7 views)
IMG_0998 (Small).JPG (61.7 KB, 9 views)
DSCF0025 (Small).JPG (62.8 KB, 14 views)
Old September 10th, 2009, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
Welcome to CO. You should be able to post and also put up pics now.
Thanks Dan. Great site you have here
Old September 10th, 2009, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
Yes, pictures would help us. Second, and it may be a dumb question, but for a car that's been sitting for 15 years, it's not an automatic yes, but does the engine run and is the car driveable?

Also, you say it's an F-85. Does that mean it's not a Cutlass? You say it has buckets, and that normally means Cutlass, but you didn't use the word, and there is a difference that could affect value.
Its automatic and should start right up. I never saw Cutlass badges on this car. But then again I could be loosing my mind. I'd rather let this car go "as-is-where-is". Reason being is that if I drive it I'll wind up keeping it. Starting a new business and need the capitol.
Old September 10th, 2009, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by citcapp
Please add a longer discription on your car. 2dr, 4dr, post car, hardtop, etc. Information and pictures are what we need to help you out
2 dr non post
Attached Images
IMG_0971 (Small).JPG (34.9 KB, 20 views)
Old September 10th, 2009, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by 1964CutlassSC
From the appraisals I have had done on mine, the 64s don't seem to be worth nearly enough :-( We asked for our money back from one because he was out in left field.

Make mine and it's condition a 68-69 body style and the value probably increases 5-10K easily! We definately need to see pics and get more info on the body style, etc.
I hear ya. Whats unique is this is all original sheet metal. Solid as a rock. Before I insert foot in mouth as I saw in other posts wanted to test the waters.
Old September 10th, 2009, 05:04 PM

OK, I'm a bit confused here. We ask for pictures of your '64 F-85, and you give us nice photos of your Camaro, your motorcycle, and your truck pulling your boat, one of which is your pride and joy (which one?). Cool, but none of these are going to help us determine the value of your '64 F-85.

The pictures you DID post of that car consist of two under-hood shots, one of which is of something inexplicable on one side of the firewall, and one which might actually help, two very blurry photos, one of the odometer (which you don't need to post a picture of because we'll believe whatever you tell us the mileage is), and the other of the state registration stickers on the windshield, which is totally useless in determining value, and one photo of the interior, which actually helps. Then, in a later post, you give us ONE sort-of exterior shot. We can't see much in this photo at all.

Thanks a lot! With friends like this, who needs enemies!

Then, you also say that it has an automatic, fine, and that it SHOULD start up. SHOULD? Can't you stick a key in it and turn it? There's a big difference between SHOULD start up and DOES start up!

A '64 F-85 2-door coupe in #4 condition, which is a car in which everything works and it runs and drives but which is in need of restoration, is worth about $2,000. You car is not necessarily in this condition. A #5 condition, which may or may not run but is complete enough to be worth restoring and isn't wrecked, weathered, or stripped, is worth about $1,300. Until you can determine if the car actually runs and drives, this is probably the best-matching description of this car. A #6 condition '64 F-85, which is worth nothing but as a parts car, is worth about $500. It sounds like your car is not this bad.

Now, I should point out that the reference I'm using, the Old Cars Price Guide, only shows prices for a 2-door coupe, not a hardtop. They DO make a distinction between the two for the '64 Cutlass, which suggests that maybe your car really IS a Cutlass even though it has no badges that say this. They might have been removed at some point. Anyway, if it is a Cutlass 2-door hardtop, the #4, #5, and #6 values are $3100, $1900, and $600, respectively. That a 50% increase for both the #4 and #5 values. It would do you well to find out for sure whether or not it's a Cutlass. The VIN should tell us. Can you post that? It should be visible on a plate if you open the driver's door and look to the right of the hinges (I think--at least that's where it was on my '64 Jetstar 88).

Last edited by jaunty75; September 10th, 2009 at 05:10 PM.
Old September 10th, 2009, 06:48 PM
67 heavy metal

looks like your another fellow newyorker welcome.you have some fun toys there.
Old September 11th, 2009, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by delmontcrusier
looks like your another fellow newyorker welcome.you have some fun toys there.
Thanks! Long Island, you?
Old September 11th, 2009, 12:54 AM

OK, I'm a bit confused here. We ask for pictures of your '64 F-85, and you give us nice photos of your Camaro, your motorcycle, and your truck pulling your boat, one of which is your pride and joy (which one?). Cool, but none of these are going to help us determine the value of your '64 F-85.

The pictures you DID post of that car consist of two under-hood shots, one of which is of something inexplicable on one side of the firewall, and one which might actually help, two very blurry photos, one of the odometer (which you don't need to post a picture of because we'll believe whatever you tell us the mileage is), and the other of the state registration stickers on the windshield, which is totally useless in determining value, and one photo of the interior, which actually helps. Then, in a later post, you give us ONE sort-of exterior shot. We can't see much in this photo at all.

Thanks a lot! With friends like this, who needs enemies!

Then, you also say that it has an automatic, fine, and that it SHOULD start up. SHOULD? Can't you stick a key in it and turn it? There's a big difference between SHOULD start up and DOES start up!

A '64 F-85 2-door coupe in #4 condition, which is a car in which everything works and it runs and drives but which is in need of restoration, is worth about $2,000. You car is not necessarily in this condition. A #5 condition, which may or may not run but is complete enough to be worth restoring and isn't wrecked, weathered, or stripped, is worth about $1,300. Until you can determine if the car actually runs and drives, this is probably the best-matching description of this car. A #6 condition '64 F-85, which is worth nothing but as a parts car, is worth about $500. It sounds like your car is not this bad.

Now, I should point out that the reference I'm using, the Old Cars Price Guide, only shows prices for a 2-door coupe, not a hardtop. They DO make a distinction between the two for the '64 Cutlass, which suggests that maybe your car really IS a Cutlass even though it has no badges that say this. They might have been removed at some point. Anyway, if it is a Cutlass 2-door hardtop, the #4, #5, and #6 values are $3100, $1900, and $600, respectively. That a 50% increase for both the #4 and #5 values. It would do you well to find out for sure whether or not it's a Cutlass. The VIN should tell us. Can you post that? It should be visible on a plate if you open the driver's door and look to the right of the hinges (I think--at least that's where it was on my '64 Jetstar 88).
The other pics I posted were just in fun to introduce myself. As you can see the garage where the 64 is stored is rather tight. I took the best pics possible without rolling the car out because I was by myself. Anyway here's the vin off the reg
824f005556
Old September 11th, 2009, 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by cig1988
The other pics I posted were just in fun to introduce myself. As you can see the garage where the 64 is stored is rather tight. I took the best pics possible without rolling the car out because I was by myself. Anyway here's the vin off the reg
824f005556
It does appear to be a V8 F-85 Cutlass based on the VIN provided..
Old September 11th, 2009, 04:54 AM

As you can see the garage where the 64 is stored is rather tight. I took the best pics possible without rolling the car out because I was by myself. Anyway here's the vin off the reg
824f005556
I apologize if I come across kind of heavy. But I'm surprised you can't even get a picture of the front end.

Anyway, the VINs in those days didn't tell as much as they did 10 years later. The 8 means 8 cylinder engine. The 2 does indicate a Cutlass series as was mentioned. The 4 is the model year, and the F would be the plant where manufactured, which might be Fremont, California, but I'm not sure. The rest of it is the production sequence number at that plant of all cars produced there, not just Cutlasses. But still, this number is quite low. It suggests that this car was built very early in the 1964 model year run. If you can get at the body tag, which is under the hood on the firewall, and post all of the numbers and letters on that, it might be possible to get the month and week that the car was built. Not that it matters that much for determining value, but it would be interesting to know.

So it appears that you do, in fact, have a Cutlass. That will add value. Now the question is, what happened to all the "Cutlass" badges?

So now what you gotta do is push the darn thing out into the sunshine and get some decent photos!
Old September 11th, 2009, 06:25 AM

Looks pretty decent. Try to start it and tell us what happens.
Old September 11th, 2009, 03:34 PM

I apologize if I come across kind of heavy. But I'm surprised you can't even get a picture of the front end.

Anyway, the VINs in those days didn't tell as much as they did 10 years later. The 8 means 8 cylinder engine. The 2 does indicate a Cutlass series as was mentioned. The 4 is the model year, and the F would be the plant where manufactured, which might be Fremont, California, but I'm not sure. The rest of it is the production sequence number at that plant of all cars produced there, not just Cutlasses. But still, this number is quite low. It suggests that this car was built very early in the 1964 model year run. If you can get at the body tag, which is under the hood on the firewall, and post all of the numbers and letters on that, it might be possible to get the month and week that the car was built. Not that it matters that much for determining value, but it would be interesting to know.

So it appears that you do, in fact, have a Cutlass. That will add value. Now the question is, what happened to all the "Cutlass" badges?

So now what you gotta do is push the darn thing out into the sunshine and get some decent photos!
Tryed to open the garage door but the damn thing almost fell onto the car. Good info & apologie accepted. I bought the car pretty much the way it is minus the paint. When I sanded off the Earl Schribe paint job there were no noticable holes in the front fenders assuming that's were they would be. If my memory serves me correctly the F-85 emblem would be on the front fenders closer to the bumper. Quite interesteing to know its an early production.
Old September 11th, 2009, 05:41 PM

If my memory serves me correctly the F-85 emblem would be on the front fenders closer to the bumper.
Actually, if it is a Cutlass, I think the only place "F-85" would appear on it would be on the T-shaped emblem right in the middle of the grille. There would be no "F-85" badges anywhere on it.

Here's a nice shot showing the location of the "F-85" emblem in the middle of the grille.

http://prepmyride.com/linked/8-26-08%20cars%20012.jpg

The "Cutlass" badges should be at knee height just behind the front wheels and ahead of the doors. Here's a front quarter shot showing the location of the badge on the driver's side.

http://baileysclassicautos.com/Exter...ver%20Side.jpg

They could be missing because the car was repainted. If they were damaged getting them off or if they were in bad shape before the car was painted, whoever had it painted might have decided he didn't want to put cruddy badges on his newly-pained car, and he figured he'd get better ones and put them on when he came across them. One thing you might do is get down close to that area of the body and see if you can see evidence of mounting holes that might have been filled in prior to the body being repainted. Of course, if it was a really nice job, you might not be able to find them. In that case, you'll have to drill new holes.

Here's another dumb question, though. You've said you're not sure whether or not it is a Cutlass. While the exterior badges might be missing, didn't Cutlasses of that year ALSO have the word "Cutlass" written on the dash somewhere? (I'm sure there are lots of '64 Cutlass owners on here who could answer this.)

Here's a photo showing what I'm talking about. You can easily see the word "Cutlass" just above the radio.

http://prepmyride.com/linked/8-26-08%20cars%20021.jpg

You did provide a photo of the interior of your car looking at the dash, and, while I can't be 100% certain, isn't that a "Cutlass" script I see just above the radio? That for sure would tell you, and you wouldn't have to have bothered with the VIN or anything else.
Old September 11th, 2009, 06:18 PM

Here's another dumb question, though. You've said you're not sure whether or not it is a Cutlass. While the exterior badges might be missing, didn't Cutlasses of that year ALSO have the word "Cutlass" written on the dash somewhere? (I'm sure there are lots of '64 Cutlass owners on here who could answer this.)

Here's a photo showing what I'm talking about. You can easily see the word "Cutlass" just above the radio.

http://prepmyride.com/linked/8-26-08%20cars%20021.jpg

You did provide a photo of the interior of your car looking at the dash, and, while I can't be 100% certain, isn't that a "Cutlass" script I see just above the radio? That for sure would tell you, and you wouldn't have to have bothered with the VIN or anything else.
Yes for sure Cutlass is on the dash as shown. Dang I'd like to have that clock in the picture for mine :-) No where else is Cutlass shown other than on the fenders like you said.
Old September 11th, 2009, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by 1964CutlassSC
Yes for sure Cutlass is on the dash as shown. Dang I'd like to have that clock in the picture for mine :-) No where else is Cutlass shown other than on the fenders like you said.
See, I told you a '64 Cutlass owner would know the answer!
Old September 11th, 2009, 06:41 PM
67 heavy metal

Originally Posted by cig1988
Thanks! Long Island, you?

I live a good ways the other side of the state near Rochester.I've seen a few NY residents in here.