General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Whats a 1962 Starfire worth....and hows the market?

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2008, 05:04 AM

Question Whats a 1962 Starfire worth....and hows the market?

I have an option to buy a 62 Starfire. It runs and drives, has a new carb and has had the brakes freshened up, the paint is pretty decent looking...it looks like Trophy blue from my dads 66 vette. The car has monior surface rust in some very small areas. It has 2 embelems missing. Some old guy has it and is willing to sell it for what I would think would be a good deal. So, how fast do these things sell at the right price? and whats it worth...NADA says its worth $14,000 on the low retail price. I dont want to get my money tied up in the car and be waiting a year to get it sold. The way I look at the car is....it looks good and drives good....I would not say its no too nice to be scared to drive...and its nice enough to drive around to local hotrod meets. Im not sure if that makes sense.....anyway thanks is advance fellas.
Old May 20th, 2008, 09:51 AM

It's difficult to determine the value of a car over the internet. I would say that the "old car market" stinks right now. Think about how expensive gasoline is and how weak the dollar is. I know that sounds corny; however, I saw a 1976 Olds Regency 98 for sale in town today that was going for $3200 obo. Apparently this guy must have been smoking some good stuff because it was pretty rough and needed some work. Just because something is old doesn't mean it is "rare" or "valuable."

The best advice I could give is if you like the car and think it is a decent price then buy it. Especially if you have been looking for a project / fun car. You might want to check it out and make sure it is mechanically sound first. If you don't know alot about cars then have a buddy check it out for you.
Old May 20th, 2008, 05:25 PM

It'll take a year to sell. Find a Chevy to flip.

Don
Old May 20th, 2008, 07:17 PM

Thanks guys....I used to be a mechanic...so I know what Im doing...I could probably pick it up for $5K. I ws going to clean it and Ebay the thing...for 8-9K whitch I "think" would sell. However, I dont want my money tied up for a year....let me know what you guys think.
Old May 21st, 2008, 09:23 PM

Bump for more info
Old May 22nd, 2008, 05:30 AM

I wouldn't purchase a car to flip right now. Nobody is going to want to buy an older car in 6 months when gasoline is over $5.00 a gallon.

Truthfully, I agree with Don. If you want to fix up a car to make money on then find a Chevy.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by Dapapadon
It'll take a year to sell. Find a Chevy to flip.

Don
Listen to this guy..Buy a Chevy the same year to sell . I will never understand how a cheap '62 chevy will sell more than a '62 Cadillac - or Olds - and it has nothing to do with supply and demand. To me, some people are retards. I have said in other posts that chevys look like a stripped down Pontiac to me, but I guess people will pay a premium for cheap cars
Old May 27th, 2008, 10:05 PM

Thanks Guys
Old June 7th, 2008, 07:54 PM

1962 Starfire Value

Originally Posted by Turbo Kyle
Thanks Guys
Old June 7th, 2008, 08:02 PM

I agree chevys are cheaper to restore anyway. If you can restore a 1962 starfire right it will cost you some money. Plus, it has way more stainless, chrome, and pot metal that is not available. Not to mention the aluminum down the sides. Its a rare car, even pulling the frame,they never brought in what they are really worth regardless of the gas price and economy.Hard car to flip unless its a convertible right now.