The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

new guy here. hows everyone?

Old October 30th, 2013, 07:18 PM

new guy here. hows everyone?

I am restoring my second 65 cutlass, the first was a holiday. This one is somewhat of a mystery. It was a police car and has alot of the 442 characteristics. Front and rear sway bars, coil springs with factory coill over air shocks. It also has disc brakes in the front.
I know alot of you are going to to think that someone put it on there after but I had a book that had this car listed. As the interceptor package. It has a glove box push button for a shot gun.factory tinted windows,a ultra high compression 330 with a power glide tranny, on the column.
The factory clips attached under neath for the air shock line are all there and the bumper is indented to accept the cromed air fill nozzle. The original 330 I still have intact and it came out of the factory with a two barrel carb, pushing 320hp. The carb also has a restrictor plste on it. The tranny is a power glide from a holiday, someone stuck a three speed in it.
I need a bit of help with the wiring and vacum. I marked everything but who knows if any of that was correct. The wires coming off the part that is attached to the fire wall wich the accelerator pedal pushes.,where do they go? Help?
Old October 30th, 2013, 07:45 PM
Administrator

Welcome jimmyjam, first off we do like pictures. The 2 speed transmission that would have come with your car was a ST300 nothing like a power glide. It had a variable vane torque convertor or switch pitch, hence the switch on the throttle linkage. If someone stuck a 3 speed in there, it will be a T350 or T400. If it's a T400 and not a switch pitch, then only wire is required from the throttle switch to the passing gear solenoid on the trans. If it is a switch pitch then you need both the connections.

If the trans is a T350, then passing gear is activated via detent cable installed at the gas pedal or on the carb linkage. Then the switch is not used.
Old October 30th, 2013, 08:08 PM
Old School Olds

Welcome. The B-07 was the code for
the interceptor. Post some pics when you
get the chance. We would like to see it.
Old October 30th, 2013, 08:15 PM

welcome, seems like a cool car! looking forward to pics.
Charlie,,,
Old October 30th, 2013, 10:30 PM

Im realy super interested in where you got the info for the interceptor code!
I used to have a book years ago but....uuuhh I lost it.
Thanks for all the great feed back!
about the tranny swith wire, im not sure what was supposed to be in the car.
I put a power glide from another f85 in it because the column is for a two speed.
There are three wires going to this thing one says Batt so I got that,
But the plug that holds the two wires goes to the tranny? Is that right.
I want to make sure the vacuum hoses are right,
Distributor vac to manifold?
Vacuum diaphram on tranny, manifold or carb?
I will take some pictures tomorrow, all I have is some videos to show the work.
Im hitting the hay now so good night all and thanks for the help!
Old October 31st, 2013, 06:50 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by jimmyjam
Im realy super interested in where you got the info for the interceptor code!

You can go to wildaboutcars.com for info on your car.

I used to have a book years ago but....uuuhh I lost it.
Thanks for all the great feed back!
about the tranny swith wire, im not sure what was supposed to be in the car.
I put a power glide from another f85 in it because the column is for a two speed.

Are you sure it's a powerglide? See below.

There are three wires going to this thing one says Batt so I got that,
But the plug that holds the two wires goes to the tranny? Is that right.

If it were out of a 64-67 then it's Jetaway(ST300) 2 speed trans. The wires go from the switch to the plug in connector on the back/side of the trans. 1 wire supplies 12v to the kickdown solenoid and the other wire to the variable vane torque convertor solenoid.

I want to make sure the vacuum hoses are right,
Distributor vac to manifold?

This is your choice, but it came from the factory connected to ported vacuum, no vacuum at idle.

Vacuum diaphram on tranny, manifold or carb?

The vacuum modulator on the trans must be connected to manifold vacuum. There is a port on the carburetor that has vacuum at idle, connect it there.

I will take some pictures tomorrow, all I have is some videos to show the work.
Im hitting the hay now so good night all and thanks for the help!
Old October 31st, 2013, 09:34 AM

The tranny came from a holiday cutlass f85. The original engine is in my garage on a stand.
Two barrel 330, ultra high compression.the story goes like this.... my grand father owned a couple junk yards in boston and when we moved to connecticut I would walk up and down the railroad tracks piecing cars together and selling them. I pulled a camaro, a 1970 riviera with a 455 in it, 74impala. I would getem going and drive it around town trying to sell it.
I almost never got chased by the cops.... well untill I got the riviera. They took it from me twice! I jumped the fence at the shop they towed it to and fed the dogs and took my car back.
So they kept taking my cars, a70duster, an AMC, ect... well I was only 14 years old and they usually sent me home walking but eventually they suspended my license so I was 26 before getting my license! I worked a mech and even a manager at midas and mienekee with no license and they were cool with it!
Anyway I had two olds 65 one holiday with ac and a perfect dash so I did that one first.
I took the whole car apart sanded and enamel coated the frame and all the parts, rep
Laced the floors, trunk, ect...diassembled the enginge and cleaned and painted all the parts. Rebuilt the lifters and removed the restrictor plate got the whole thing put back together.
Had the carpets on order everything but the paint, I had sanded the car to bare metal and primed the whole thing, painted the inside of the fenders and all the other hidden places all over the car so that once painted and the carpets were in it was done.
I was 20 and because I couldnt register the car I had it registered in my girls name.
Mistake!!!! Her father was a cop and told her the car was hers, and they showed up with a bunch of cops and she took it.
I sat there silently crying and kicking like a baby and let her! Yea right! (sarcasim)
A week or so later I found her at a wedding and I went in and found her purse with the coats and took the keys and my car. The cops called me and told me if I didn't bring it back they would charge me. She got it back again.
6 months later I stripped it in her driveway, taking everything, ebrake cables,back seat,intake,every piece of crome on the car I could. Ha ha bitch! Shejunked the car and almost 5 years later the guy who sold me the car called me and said he saw it at the junk yard! I bought it back got it running again but it just sat. I stripped it down and got rid of the car.so the tranny is definately from the holiday. Wich I should have taken the dash for the ac.
I left it for ten years and last year started on the project. My daughter is in college and my son just graduated high school so I said either I just junk the dam thing or redo it.
Old October 31st, 2013, 09:53 AM
Administrator

Interesting story, I can relate.
Old October 31st, 2013, 08:02 PM

http://s945.photobucket.com/user/pin...bile%20Uploads
This is a link, I never tried this before bit you csn check out some pics of the car there.
It is nkt like down south or in texas though where rust Isn't. A big concern but here in ct they use salt on the roads. So I had alot of surface rust and a few spots that needed new metal.
Old October 31st, 2013, 08:07 PM
Administrator

Looks nice! Got any of the rest of the car?
Old November 1st, 2013, 05:18 AM

Are the TH350s 3 speed and TH400s 4 speed? Kind of want to upgrade to a 4 speed one day, but I'm not sure what I need. Sounds cool, pics!!
Old November 1st, 2013, 07:15 AM

I have all the pieces for the body and trim.
Its the interior that is hit!
I have the front and rear seats but need them redone,as you can tell the interior is a mess.
I have the original steering wheel and allt the interior pieces, I started the mechanical stuff and body first so that I could move the car around if I had to I dont know if I should try to find another car with a good interior or have this one redone.
The fact is that it is not a show car so keeping everythinf exactly perfect isnt my goal.
My goal is to be able to beat the **** out of the car and when my kids blow the engine or tranny I will stick another in it! It is a toy I haven't got to play with in many years but my son has a huge diesel truck all tricked out with tuners, and huge a turbo.
He likes rolling coal! My daughter wants to learn how to blow doughnuts and do smoke shows but doesn't want to be seen riding around in "that big boat".
I on the other hand think that the car is on the smaller side. The cars I had in the past were true boats. 69delta 88, impala 74, plymouth grandfury with a 360 and the buick electra 225!
Those are big cars, this one fits just right,not to big not to small.
Old November 1st, 2013, 06:27 PM
GM Enthusiast

Welcome to CO Jimmy!