The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Garage find

Search this Thread

Old April 3rd, 2018, 08:04 AM

Garage find

One of the 4 original tires
Drivers side rear quarter
Rear quarter
Odometer with 19043 original miles
Rear tire
Front seat
Rear seats
Front fender
Passenger side
Dashboard and steering wheel
Passenger door
Underside of the dashboard
Dashboard with clock and speaker
Rear seats
Rear floorboard carpet
Rooftop
Me feeble attempt at a panoramic photo 🙃
Headliner
In 1972 my father purchased a 1956 Oldsmobile Super 88 holiday Coupe. It is now time to sell the car our family has owned all these years. I need help putting a value on the car. The car has slightly over 19,000 miles and has spent its entire life parked covered in a garage. When the car was originally purchased my father took the original tires off the car, kept them, and replaced them with radial tires. September 2010 was the last time the vehicle was driven before it was parked. To my knowledge the car has never been driven in the rain. I plan to have a mechanic go through the car and get it running again. I think that's a wise move however I would be open to other suggestions prior to putting the car on the market. I would also be interested in feedback on reputable places to list the car.

Last edited by bwb1985; April 10th, 2018 at 04:21 PM. Reason: Pictures
Old April 3rd, 2018, 08:47 AM
Old School Olds

Welcome, I will be following along. Pictures would be great! The vintage guys will be able to help you out, never fear.
Old April 3rd, 2018, 08:53 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site. Post some pictures when you get a chance.
Old April 3rd, 2018, 09:26 AM
Frank Ignachuck

Lots of 56 guys here to help!
Old April 3rd, 2018, 09:34 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

It sounds like a very unusual car. The fact it is a coupe is a plus. We really need to see pictures to be able to make any suggestions. Posting on this site will get you lots of free exposure. ebay is another place to list it but cost you. There are also reputable dealers that will take it on consignment but check them out carefully. You did not say where you are located and that would help. The car was on the road for 38 years so 19,000 miles seems awfully low considering the car was 16 years old when you dad bought it in 1972. It might be but you don't want to represent a car with 19,000 miles when it is in fact 119,000. We will be looking for pictures.
Old April 3rd, 2018, 10:01 AM
btw
Smokin' BBQ Member

56? I might be interested in that if all holds true on the information you've shared so far. PM with more details.
Old April 3rd, 2018, 10:34 AM

As one point of reference, the Old Cars Price Guide lists the value of a '56 Super 88 2-door hardtop in showroom condition at about $30,000. In "car show" (20-footer) condition, the value is around $20,000. As mentioned, we would need to see good quality photos showing all aspects of the car to get a better idea.

Certainly having the car running makes it more valuable than not running.

As far as where to list it, heck, the whole world lists on craigslist. It's free, and anyone looking for a car checks it. Certainly list it on this site as well.
Old April 3rd, 2018, 02:39 PM

Per Hagerty -

1956 Oldsmobile Super 88 2dr Holiday Coupe 8-cyl. 324cid/240hp 4bbl

#1 Concours $33,800
#2 Excellent $23,400
#3 Good $16,500
#4 Fair $10,900
Old April 3rd, 2018, 06:27 PM

56 Olds pictures

You guys are great ! The car is in storage in central Illinois and I live in Minnesota so current pictures will follow before the end of the month. I can attest to the actual milage being slightly over 19,000 not 119,000. I will do my best to take quality photos and upload them to showcase how incredibly clean this car really is. I appreciate your comments. Stay tuned.
Brad
Old April 3rd, 2018, 07:36 PM
Woodeye

Welcome. I can hardly wait to see your photos. That milege is a bit over a mile per day since built & sold. Awsome
Old April 3rd, 2018, 08:58 PM

Depending on what you want to do with it even though the car only has 19,000 miles(which is exceptional) it will probably need a complete redo on most everything with rubber in it or around it, seals, shocks transmission seals, tires, valve cover gaskets, weather striping ect. Lots of stuff will be degraded. How good is the chrome? The good thing is all of it is there and who ever gets this jewel will have all the hard parts already found. I would love to see a few pictures when you get a chance...... Lost in the fifties ...Tedd
Old April 4th, 2018, 07:49 AM
btw
Smokin' BBQ Member

Originally Posted by bwb1985
You guys are great ! The car is in storage in central Illinois and I live in Minnesota so current pictures will follow before the end of the month. I can attest to the actual milage being slightly over 19,000 not 119,000. I will do my best to take quality photos and upload them to showcase how incredibly clean this car really is. I appreciate your comments. Stay tuned.
Brad
Central Illinois? This makes it even better! Yes please post those photos after the thaw and shoot me a PM.
Old April 12th, 2018, 05:55 AM

Pictures of garage find have been posted

The interior chrome is great. There are minor rust spots on the exterior chrome that don’t appear to be very severe.
I will know more about the rubber components once the mechanic gets a look at it.
Thanks for your help Tedd.
Brad
Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
Depending on what you want to do with it even though the car only has 19,000 miles(which is exceptional) it will probably need a complete redo on most everything with rubber in it or around it, seals, shocks transmission seals, tires, valve cover gaskets, weather striping ect. Lots of stuff will be degraded. How good is the chrome? The good thing is all of it is there and who ever gets this jewel will have all the hard parts already found. I would love to see a few pictures when you get a chance...... Lost in the fifties ...Tedd
Old April 12th, 2018, 05:59 AM

Pictures posted

Originally Posted by btw
56? I might be interested in that if all holds true on the information you've shared so far. PM with more details.
I posted pictures on this thread. If you would like to see more I have a few more I could post.
Brad
Old April 12th, 2018, 06:57 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Wow, the only thing that could make it better is if it was a convertible. It is a 2 door hardtop and the best color combination you could get. Original cars are in high demand so you want to be very careful to keep it that way. If it need a generator, starter or any of those components get the one on the car rebuild. DO NOT exchange them for a rebuilt unit. You want to keep the ones that came on the car. I would get it running, make sure the brakes are working and give it a good cleaning. Being that it is such a low mileage car it is hard to make a guess (that is all it is going to be) as to the value but I am going to say it should bring somewhere around $30,000. This is a car that should do very well at a good auction.
Old April 12th, 2018, 06:59 AM

Now that thing is nice! Love it! Is it original paint and everything?
Old April 12th, 2018, 07:26 AM

Thanks

Thanks for your feedback. That’s great advice, rebuild vs replace. I have several engine components,starter, generator and power steering unit from a parts car Dad bought at the same time and harvested parts. The car goes to the mechanic on Monday so I will know more about what it is going to take to get running. Thanks again for the advice. As far as values, it is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.
Thanks again.
Brad
Originally Posted by redoldsman
Wow, the only thing that could make it better is if it was a convertible. It is a 2 door hardtop and the best color combination you could get. Original cars are in high demand so you want to be very careful to keep it that way. If it need a generator, starter or any of those components get the one on the car rebuild. DO NOT exchange them for a rebuilt unit. You want to keep the ones that came on the car. I would get it running, make sure the brakes are working and give it a good cleaning. Being that it is such a low mileage car it is hard to make a guess (that is all it is going to be) as to the value but I am going to say it should bring somewhere around $30,000. This is a car that should do very well at a good auction.
Old April 12th, 2018, 07:34 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

You are correct in that value is defined by a willing buyer and a willing seller,
Old April 12th, 2018, 07:38 AM

Paint

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
Now that thing is nice! Love it! Is it original paint and everything?
Yes original paint. The only things that aren’t are things that were replaced as regular maintenance. (hoses, battery, brakes, etc)
Thanks again.
Brad
Old April 12th, 2018, 07:55 AM

Just plain awesome! What a beautiful ride!
Old April 12th, 2018, 08:52 AM

I would recommend Old Car Online. I sold my '55 4 door hardtop Super 88 over 1&1/2 years ago for $20,500. It was a 51,000 mile car that had all original interior and 60 % of the original lacquer. It had been garaged since new , and I added Aftermarket Air. It sold the second week after listed,and their price was very reasonable They list on several sites. I was very impressed at their results, and they handled everything professionally.
Welcome to C. O. And best of luck on your sale. I have pictures on my C.O. Page,if you care to compare. Best of luck, Larry
Old April 13th, 2018, 09:32 AM

Old Car Online

Originally Posted by Rocketowner
I would recommend Old Car Online. I sold my '55 4 door hardtop Super 88 over 1&1/2 years ago for $20,500. It was a 51,000 mile car that had all original interior and 60 % of the original lacquer. It had been garaged since new , and I added Aftermarket Air. It sold the second week after listed,and their price was very reasonable They list on several sites. I was very impressed at their results, and they handled everything professionally.
Welcome to C. O. And best of luck on your sale. I have pictures on my C.O. Page,if you care to compare. Best of luck, Larry
Thanks for the great information Larry. I looked at their website and it appears to be well organized. They had some nice listings and could be a good resource for listing the car. Thanks again.
Brad
Old April 13th, 2018, 09:33 AM

Pictures

Originally Posted by bwb1985

Thanks for the great information Larry. I looked at their website and it appears to be well organized. They had some nice listings and could be a good resource for listing the car. Thanks again.
Brad
BTW
I would enjoy seeing pictures of your 55.
Brad