The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Milodon Oil Pan Touching back of Crossmember

Search this Thread

Old January 21st, 2018, 04:52 PM

Milodon Oil Pan Touching back of Crossmember

I am having an issue with my 66 442, I am sitting the motor and tranny in a rolling chassis,Original frame, Original 400 BB 4spd. original MM brackets on the frame new 2261 motor mounts, new tranny mount, but I do have a Milodon 7 qt. oil pan.https://www.summitracing.com/parts/m...bile/model/442 that is made for my car. I am barely touching my oil pan on the backside of the cross member on the passenger side, but plenty of room on the drivers side. any suggestions would help Thanks

Passenger

Driver
Old January 22nd, 2018, 07:25 AM
Old(s) Fart

Have you verified that the crank is centered in the frame? Try measuring from the center of the crank snout to fixed points on either side of the frame. Unfortunately it's impossible to know how accurately an aftermarket part is made. There is clearance in all the bolt holes for the frame pads to the crossmember, as well as the holes between the motor mount and frame pad. If nothing else, you can loosen all those fasteners and try to jockey the motor sideways a little.

FYI, it's not necessary nor in your best interest to post the same question in multiple forums or even multiple threads in the same forum. You'll get a better answer more quickly if all responses are kept in a single thread so people can read what's been posted previously.
Old January 22nd, 2018, 04:06 PM

Thank you Joe, I will definitely try that. I did measure and it is off, now I am wondering if my frame is bent.

Did not mean to post twice, was just actually comparing my problems to the other guy. I will post back and let you know what happenThanks again

Cody Monroe
Old January 22nd, 2018, 04:56 PM

Did you take the car apart and now found this or is it a frame you just got? Someone on here may have a drawing with measurements to check the frame for straightness. I've seen one for a 72. You could measure to rule out the frame then. You may be able to google it if no one offers one. Good luck.

Last edited by Gary M; January 22nd, 2018 at 07:39 PM.
Old January 22nd, 2018, 06:38 PM

Yes I took it apart as frame off project. Going back in with original motor, only Change is the oil pan. New motor mounts. That would be cool if I could come up with those measurements. Thanks Gary
Old January 22nd, 2018, 07:36 PM

Try what Joe said. Loosen the bolts he mentioned and jockey the motor around. The 7 quart pan may be bigger but it seems like it would look obviously misshapen to be over that far to one side.