The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

I Got a new fuel senging unit but the Resistance when Full is different

Search this Thread

Old November 9th, 2017, 09:56 PM

I Got a new fuel senging unit but the Resistance when Full is different

Hello!! This is my first post here . Anyways I have a 1971 Cutlass S Holiday Hardtop and I just today put a new fuel sending unit it because I at least need an idea of where my gas is at. Is there a way to counter the extra 5 Ohms I gained with putting the new unit in? The original was 90Ohms and the new one is 95Ohms or is the difference on the gauge gonna be almost negligible because I know that 5 Ohms is fairly small. Thank you in advance

Here is the Unit I got: Fuel Sending Unit 692243
And ill have some pictures of the old Unit as well
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_20171020_112022821.jpg (4.61 MB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_20171020_112037872.jpg (4.45 MB, 1 views)
Old November 10th, 2017, 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by Charlie Heaton
Hello!! This is my first post here . Anyways I have a 1971 Cutlass S Holiday Hardtop and I just today put a new fuel sending unit it because I at least need an idea of where my gas is at. Is there a way to counter the extra 5 Ohms I gained with putting the new unit in? The original was 90Ohms and the new one is 95Ohms or is the difference on the gauge gonna be almost negligible because I know that 5 Ohms is fairly small. Thank you in advance

Here is the Unit I got: Fuel Sending Unit 692243
And ill have some pictures of the old Unit as well
Why not just give it a test. Hook it up with jumpers, put the float in the full position and see what the gauge shows. Then do the same for the empty position. You "might" be able to bend the float arm a bit, if needed, to accommodate the difference.
Old November 10th, 2017, 06:39 AM

If the gas gauge is linear with respect to resistance, then the extra 5 Ohms, which is probably a negligible difference, anyway, would cause the gauge to read slightly higher when full. If it was right on the F when full before, it'll be slightly past the F when full with the new gauge. If it was already slightly past F when full before, it will be a little further past F with the new gauge. Etc.

The gas gauge is just an Ohmmeter with zero resistance equal to E on the gauge and an open circuit (infinite resistance) equal to point on the gauge well past F, often the 3 o'clock position.

I wouldn't do anything other than put the new sending unit in and get on with life.
Old November 10th, 2017, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
I wouldn't do anything other than put the new sending unit in and get on with life.
Alright man!!! Yeah I don't want to drop the tank again because I had to drop it twice to finish the job: First time to put it in then the second time was because I forgot to hookup the wires HAHA
Thank you guys for the reply's i'm gonna just leave it alone
Old November 10th, 2017, 07:08 PM

If your car has a working odometer then you could fill it up every three or four hundred miles...
Old December 11th, 2017, 01:33 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by Yellowstatue
If your car has a working odometer then you could fill it up every three or four hundred miles...
LMAO I guess thats true.....But my transmission needs to engage the cable first before thatll work HAHAH