The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Confusion On Several Fronts

Search this Thread

Old September 10th, 2017, 06:28 AM

Confusion On Several Fronts

Where does the coolant overflow jug mount on a '70 442/W30?

Same '70 442. The lights in the "accessory" gauge on the instrument panel (water temp, oil pres., etc.) are REALLY dim. At first they didn't work at all. I messed around with the little ground straps (cleaned, reattached, etc.) between that gauge and the speedo. No luck. I then ran a hard ground to the battery and connected it to 1 of the screws that hold the instrument housing to the face (back of gauge), and got intermittent light. Off & on based on the position of the gauge. I then ran a second hard ground wire to the other screw holding the gauge together on the back. I have lights in the instrument now, but they are so weak that they offer no help at night. The other 2 gauges light as they should, when they should. Anybody have any ideas?

I appreciate any help, as I'm sure there will be further confusion in the future!
Old September 10th, 2017, 11:50 AM

There are multiple bulbs in the back of the gauge pods, so maybe one or more are burned out?
Old September 10th, 2017, 03:16 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by keith.parks@sbcglobal.net
Where does the coolant overflow jug mount on a '70 442/W30?
No where. It was not a factory option in 1970.

Same '70 442. The lights in the "accessory" gauge on the instrument panel (water temp, oil pres., etc.) are REALLY dim. At first they didn't work at all. I messed around with the little ground straps (cleaned, reattached, etc.) between that gauge and the speedo. No luck. I then ran a hard ground to the battery and connected it to 1 of the screws that hold the instrument housing to the face (back of gauge), and got intermittent light. Off & on based on the position of the gauge. I then ran a second hard ground wire to the other screw holding the gauge together on the back. I have lights in the instrument now, but they are so weak that they offer no help at night. The other 2 gauges light as they should, when they should. Anybody have any ideas?
Check for resistance in the grey wire that feeds the lights, especially at the connector on the back of the gauge pod. Also verify that the pin for that wire on the printed circuit has not loosened up. This is a common failure mode.
Old September 11th, 2017, 05:49 AM

On the coolant jug, your answer is what I expected. Been looking at photos of high-end restorations and haven't seen one yet.

I'll check those connections. Hadn't thought about the hot side. 99 44/100% of the time, it's the ground!

Thanks for the help!
Old September 11th, 2017, 06:50 AM

You can also take the gauges apart, takes a bit of time and patience, but repaint the inside with a fresh coat of light blue and the gauges will be birghter, along with new bulbs.

No cooling jug as others have mentioned

Last edited by stevengerard; September 11th, 2017 at 06:52 AM.