Several Convertible Top Questions

Search this Thread

Old June 22nd, 2011, 03:15 PM

Several Convertible Top Questions

Hello All,

Hope anyone can help me with the following:

1) How can you tell a OEM boot from the aftermarket ones? I've got a white one that's pretty old in fair condition and was wondering whether it was worth re dyeing it vs. buying a repro. Do the aftermarket ones use that long round "welting" that goes in the cutout slot over the rear seat to hold the lip of the boot down?

2) What color and material goes along the top of the windshield header panel (where the convertible top rests on it) Mine is a Flame Orange 72 with a white top/white interior (if that makes any difference)

3) Who in the Dallas Texas area would beu recommended for a new top installation? I'm having it painted by Frank Waggoner up in McKinney - if possible would like to take it straight from there to have the top installed.

Thanks,
Joe
Old June 22nd, 2011, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by costpenn
Hello All,

Hope anyone can help me with the following:

1) How can you tell a OEM boot from the aftermarket ones? I've got a white one that's pretty old in fair condition and was wondering whether it was worth re dyeing it vs. buying a repro. Do the aftermarket ones use that long round "welting" that goes in the cutout slot over the rear seat to hold the lip of the boot down?
Don't know how to tell an original but yes the repos use the same mounting method

Originally Posted by costpenn
2) What color and material goes along the top of the windshield header panel (where the convertible top rests on it) Mine is a Flame Orange 72 with a white top/white interior (if that makes any difference)
With a white interior that would be black, along with your carpeting, dash board, carpet on the door panels, seat belts, a-pillar molding, sun-visors, steering column and console if you have one.
Old June 22nd, 2011, 09:54 PM
Randy C.

Most repro boots for my '68 use a different method to hold the boot to the pinchweld. On my '68, the original boot had big plastic clips that snapped onto the pinchweld. My reproduction boot has flat plastic pieces that slide under the pinchweld. My repro boot does have the long round welting that slides into the slot across the back seatback.

I understand from my local upholsterer that a repro boot is now available with the big plastic clips but the price is over $400. I think I'll stay with my "flat plastic pieces" boot.

Randy C.
Old August 16th, 2013, 08:53 PM

Who did you end up using to do your top???
Old August 16th, 2013, 09:33 PM
Registered

I bought my '68 GTO convertible from a guy in Texas in '95. It needed a top so I made a deal with him to get it done at an upholstery shop in Mexico before the car was shipped.
It's a top quality top and was done cheap and very well, still looks good.
I had my old '67 Grand Prix convertible top done at a trim shop in '76 and it cost me 125 bucks installed and it had a glass back window like my GTO has too. I think they may cost a little bit more now.

I have the original boot, it has flat nylon clips that slide under the stainless trim and the "welting" that slides into the U shaped channel on the back of the seat. I bought a reproduction boot about ten years ago and it mounts and looks exactly like the original one. Oldsmobile may not be the same. To see how it was done for sure look at your owner's manual, and if it isn't shown in there it should be in the convertible owner's manual.

I'm pretty sure that header material would just be the same naugahyde they use for the seats and door panels contact cemented to the steel. Those things trap moisture and cause the header to rust out as much as vinyl tops do to roofs.