The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Very excited

Search this Thread

Old June 30th, 2009, 12:36 PM

Very excited

Hey everyone......I'm the new proud owner of a 1973 cutlass supreme coupe. I am very intrested in making it a convertable, does anyone no if they make a kit for my year or will any other year fit?
Old June 30th, 2009, 12:44 PM

Welcome

Welcome aboard

To answer your question, Not that I'm aware of. There are some major differences [Frame being one of them]

The only cars I know being converted to a drop top are Daytona Ferraris.

Hang in there.................. someone more smarter than me may have a different answer.
Old June 30th, 2009, 12:50 PM
Trying to remember member

When all is said and done, I don't think you will want to make it a convertible. Please familiarize yourself with the structure of pillar coupes, pillarless hardtops, and convertibles. A lot of the overall body integrity is through the roof structure. With convertibles, this is compensated by more substantial frames and body components. Take off the roof of a coupe, and the car will sag.
Old June 30th, 2009, 02:34 PM
Old(s) Fart

What Kurt said.

The 64-72 cars had fully boxed frames on the convertibles as compared to the open-section frames on HT cars. The 73-77 cars were never planned to be convertibles, so there is no equivalent boxed frame to use. Note that this is not the simple flat plates to box the frame as used on street rods. The factory convertibles used complex formed sections to close out the open frame side rails. Some newer cars have been converted to convertibles, like the early 80s Mustangs and mid-80s Rivieras. These conversions required significant engineering to install the reinforcements and incorporate a folding top. Yes, there are lots of redneck cars running around with the tops cut off. They don't run around for long because at some point the sagging prevents the doors from opening.

If anything, you could have T-tops added to your 73, but be advised that the Hurst Hatch conversions for those cars typically leaked.
Old June 30th, 2009, 05:13 PM
I bleed Oldsmobile

Never seen a good looking hardtop turned into a vert............but maybe some after market ttops are in order if you want to see some sun........Jerr
Old July 1st, 2009, 02:44 AM

Thanks for the welcome guys. Seems like i need to get the roof put back on its only been off less then a month, and driven about 5 times on short trips so I should be fine i hope? I love this baby. The roof was completly rusted out but the body was in fine. thanks again for the support!
Old July 1st, 2009, 05:49 AM

I don't know where your located but a while back there was someone on the 73-77 Olds site selling a T-Top roof for that vintage. I have a 1977 parts car in Southern Oregon but plan to get rid of it soon. If you were close enough you could have the rolling chassis and body, it has a title too. John

The 73-77 site: http://www.73-77olds.com/index.php