The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Recently joined

Search this Thread

Old June 28th, 2009, 04:32 PM

Recently joined

Hi Guys,

I recently joined the forum primarily to look for parts and advice as I rebuild my 69 442 convertible. I bought this car when I was in high school and I still have it; now 32 years later. Unfortunately it doesn't have the original drivetrain. It has a 350 but I also have a 400 and a 455 that I could put in. I think I will probably put the 400 in. Right now the car has an automatic but I have most of the parts to put it back to a 4 speed which I will do.

The body and interior are mostly original and are in pretty good shape. The interior needs some work (need new seats, frames and all) and it needs a new paint job. I painted it in 1987 in lacquer but time has taken its toll so it's time to freshen it up. The color is the deep blue, Trophy Blue I believe. It's a beautiful color. It also needs a new top which will be white.

The biggest issue I have is the frame. It's rusty so I plan to pull the body off and fully restore the frame and the body as well.

Over the past 32 years I almost sold this car three times but I just couldn't do it. I've had this car longer a long time and it has a lot of memories so it will get restored even if it isn't numbers matching.

BTW - HDS442 was my license plate for many years. Back in the 70s and 80s during the CB radio craze my handle was Robin Hood which friends shortened to Hood. The license plate stood for "Hoods 442".

I'm looking forward to help from Forum members.

Regards,

Matt
Old June 28th, 2009, 05:32 PM

Hi Matt
Welcome to the site! You'll need 5 posts to get out of the newbie forum, this shutdown the spammers who were hammering the site. You've given a good description of your car, please post photos when you have time. Also it helps if you post your city and state in your profile. Who knows, there maybe another Olds person in the next town. John
Old June 28th, 2009, 06:13 PM

Welcome to the site Matt, you will find a number of members on the site who have long term relationships with their Oldsmobiles. This is a good thing seeing as how we are guardians of a brand that is no longer produced. After you have moved from a newbie, post some pictures, and start your frame off we will move you to the proper forum. Lots of great information here too. Good luck
Old June 28th, 2009, 06:16 PM
olds..older..oldest

Good to have you with us!! Post a few more times....just say "hi" , give your location and some thot's on your build and PRESTO, you're out of Newbieville and have the full run of the world's best Olds site. By the way, as a 69 442 owner, I'de love to see you keep it "original" ref the engine [400cid] as there were no 455's in 442's in 69. No matter what, have a blast restoring that beauty and keep us up to date with pics...we're a very "visual" group.....Derek
Old June 28th, 2009, 07:54 PM

Thanks for the notes guys. I live in Bedford, NH. I'll post pictures as soon as I can. Right now the car is under wraps until I can get it in the garage.
Old June 29th, 2009, 06:29 AM

Red face Welcome!

Hello Matt! Welcome! I am anew memeber too....with lots of dreams. Hope your restro goes well. I'm located in Collierville, TN, just outside of Memphis, TN. If there are any others in the Memphis, TN area, please let me know. Would love to meet you...Have a great week all!
Old June 29th, 2009, 06:36 AM

Welcome

Welcome aboard Hood

I just love 69

Breaker ..........Breaker ...............Robin Hood, Ya got your ears on?
Old June 29th, 2009, 06:46 AM
Past Administrator

Matt, welcome to CO. Thanks for the good story about your car and explanation of your user name. We do look forward to pictures soon. You are already a registered member. We decided to shorten the post requirements a little while back and it is difficult to get the word out to everyone but not a problem I am sure.
Old June 29th, 2009, 06:43 PM

Thanks for all the notes guys. I'm really looking forward to getting a new HDS442 license plate when my car is done.

No problem with the posting requirement. Just a few more and then I'm good to go. I'm looking forward to lots of good information from the forum.
Old June 29th, 2009, 09:43 PM
67 heavy metal

olds

This is a great hobbie costly but fun I hope these cars are around for many years to come.I am enjoying the storys and the cars.I am not sure listening to the above if I should do anything to my car or leave what I belive is the origional engine in my car.I bought a 455 out of a 69 olds 98 came with the trans.But my car came with a 330 two barrel it is nice for crusien hense my screenname delmontcrusier but I haven't decided what to do.I wonder in the end if it would be worth it to change my setup with gas prices.Well either way good luck to you all in your decisions
Old July 2nd, 2009, 03:21 PM

Well, I'm a big fan of originality even though my 442 doesn't have the original drivetrain. I also own 2 Corvettes that are mostly original. I just like them the way they left the factory but the decision is yours. Good luck with whatever you do.
Old July 2nd, 2009, 08:27 PM
Randy C.

Welcome to the site. I'm with you on originality - I like them as they would have come off the assembly line or perhaps with dealer add-ons. My '68 has a license like yours - it ends in 442 as well. Just take your time in your restoration. The right parts will come with your patience. It's not cheap to do, but the end product is such a reward! Randy C.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1968Olds442front.jpg (44.2 KB, 4 views)
Olds442rear68conv.jpg (25.1 KB, 5 views)
Olds68442conv7.jpg (25.8 KB, 3 views)