General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

I'm Excited

Search this Thread

Old August 26th, 2009, 06:15 AM
Cutlass Lover

I'm Excited

I just had to share - I got the "A/C Dash Valance" yesterday, that I ordered from Ron's Classic Cutlass when I was at the show in Alliance. He told me he was sure had a green one, and he was a very nice guy!! Very helpful. I was going to buy an ugly black one I saw there.....
Has any one else ever ordered from him?? He has a lot of stuff on his web site.
Anyhow, I can't wait to put the valance on the "prettiest one"! I don't know why the previous owner took it off and never put it back on - the air works, but just a hose hanging down under the dash on the passengers side - not really attractive. He also sent a little piece of hose; kind of curved - does this go on somewhere, or did he send it just in case I needed it?? The valance has a few "scuff marks" - I don't know if there is something that might take them off? I wiped it down with water - it will look beautiful when I get it on!!
Old August 26th, 2009, 06:22 AM

He has a web site?
Old August 26th, 2009, 06:36 AM
Cutlass Lover

Allow me to rephrase that! Go to
http://www.442.com/class/partsforsale.html
Old August 26th, 2009, 11:54 AM

i have seen him pull things out of his hat that i never thought possible. he even has an NOS W-27 rear end. if you ever get a chance to go to his place, it is incredible. i have sold more to him than i buy from him but he almost always has the most beautiful parts. he is coming to get a 69 cutlass off of me tomorrow.
Old August 26th, 2009, 12:58 PM
Registered

There is only one small round hose that connects to the vent on the passenger's side. The other side goes to a rectangular upening in the duct behind it. Mine has an 8-track but the valance is just in two pieces, same hook-up.

ac valance 001.jpg

Your air works.
Most "just need a charge" but all the parts are there.

Need a pic of the scuffs, if they're just shoe marks Soft Scrub watered down or sometimes just toothpaste will get them out, any very mild abrasive. If it's a flat finish careful or it will make it shiny. Simichrome metal polish works great on shiny and clear plastic, I love that stuff. I use Lemon Pledge on all my plastic and vinyl, have for years, learned it from the Corvette guys and they're nuts.

On a side note, I finally got my GTO up to Solon, first time out this year and I just dusted it off and touched up the engine. I pulled in and they said it was American muscle night so I got to park up front. The place was packed full just after six, had to be 400 cars there at least, a lot of muscular cars. I backed in a spot and it was space 68...same year as the car, registration number 825...same as the date. The stars were aligned, there were some people really checking out my car and then photographing it and the next thing you know I got a sponsor's choice trophy plaque device. I hate to rub it it in but I will, your time will come Grasshopper...your time will come, have patience.
I mistakenly let my wife go up and get the thing and she made a smart crack to the crowd saying I wouldn't have the car if it wasn't for her and got a big laugh and round of applause at my expense.
I think I created a monster.

I just happen to have a pic of it, pretty nice, thank you Mr. Chicken.

ac valance 003.jpg

Last edited by Bluevista; August 26th, 2009 at 01:02 PM.
Old August 26th, 2009, 02:27 PM

Congtrats on the trophy plaque. Wives just have to have their say don't they.
Old August 27th, 2009, 10:03 AM
Cutlass Lover

Hey BlueVista! Congrats on the plaque! Yes, I am soooo jealous! Patience hell, I'm gonna kill something! I wish I would have went so I could have met you all and got to see your car! Maybe next time :3.
Thanks for the tips on the scuff marks. they're not real noticeable, or won't be when I get the valance on. It looks like it's a dull color green, kind of shiny. Lemon pledge, huh??? Someone else told me about pledge. A guy with a 57 chevy, of course. Anyhow, question please????
I was gonna put the valance on last night - got it all lined up, put my hose on the vent on the passenger side (he must have sent me the hose cause he thought I didn't have one), put the rectangular opening on under the steering column, had my ratchet and extension all ready to screw it on, then I got curious. There's a little "tab" kind of thing sticking out to the left on the valance, under the steering column. It has a screw hole in it, and there is a little hole in my metal that looks like it would go there, but the hole in the metal looks like it's never been used - tiny and smooth - and I didn't know if I should screw it on, or am I missing something else? I don't think I am, but I get frustrated cause I don't know these things! I figured I should wait and ask you experts on this site! Who knows what her previous owner did, or replaced. I wish I knew! So should I go ahead and screw the valance on? Everything lines up perfectly!!! Let me know!
Old August 27th, 2009, 11:43 AM
Registered

Thanks guys.

I'm never going to hear the end of her ******* me out when I go up there now.
But I guess I'll be there again next Tuesday, with my tail between my legs.

Don't kill anything yet cutlassgal, patience is a virtue...yeah right.

Put the valance on.
Just don't crank those screws down too tight, just enough to make them hold firmly.
It's just a basic ordinary hex-head sheet metal screw like the rest of them. Mine isn't there either, I just keep forgetting to put it in, no big deal if it isn't there.
They probably never put it in at the assembly plant to begin with, bet that's never happened before.

I have factory original Frito bags and a steel Pepsi can from the inside of my doors, maybe they were snacking.
Old August 27th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Past Administrator

If the fingerprints on the can are original UAW grease enhanced then you could most likely auction that thing off for a couple million. Or, convince the judges that every car like yours should have that in the door or they loose 2 points.
Old August 27th, 2009, 12:03 PM
Cutlass Lover

Originally Posted by Bluevista
Thanks guys.

I'm never going to hear the end of her ******* me out when I go up there now.
But I guess I'll be there again next Tuesday, with my tail between my legs.

Don't kill anything yet cutlassgal, patience is a virtue...yeah right.

Put the valance on.
Just don't crank those screws down too tight, just enough to make them hold firmly.
It's just a basic ordinary hex-head sheet metal screw like the rest of them. Mine isn't there either, I just keep forgetting to put it in, no big deal if it isn't there.
They probably never put it in at the assembly plant to begin with, bet that's never happened before.

I have factory original Frito bags and a steel Pepsi can from the inside of my doors, maybe they were snacking.

LOL That's funny!! Maybe you can sell them on ebay- does anything look like it has Jesus on it? Maybe a smudged fingerprint??? Ok, I will put the valance on tonight and see if I can get my daughter to take a picture and post it!! Patience is a virtue - I have none