The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

turbo 400 speedometer plug

Search this Thread

Old August 7th, 2014, 12:29 PM

turbo 400 speedometer plug

When I bought my cutlass the 400 trans had a plug where the speedometer cable goes so I do not how fast I'm going. Has anyone dealt with this before? Is there a way to remove it?
Old August 7th, 2014, 01:56 PM
same but different

If it has a plug in it, chances are the transmission came from a big car, like an Olds 98. Those cars had the speedo driven off the front wheel. Probably a long tail transmission as well.

Any chance you have a pic? Just in case something else is going on here. Might not hurt to give us the total length of this trans, for comparison.

I'm not sure what direction to point you too. You might be out of luck.
Old August 8th, 2014, 07:39 AM

In the meantime, get the Speed Box app for your phone - simple, accurate and FREE. I got it to check the speedo accuracy of the Cutlass and the boat. If you have a tach in the car, use the app to check your speed at various RPM's once in top gear (2500 = 60mph, etc).
Old August 8th, 2014, 09:04 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by irkennedy
When I bought my cutlass the 400 trans had a plug where the speedometer cable goes so I do not how fast I'm going. Has anyone dealt with this before? Is there a way to remove it?
More specifically, the 1965-70 Delta 88 and Ninety Eight drove the speedo cable from the left front wheel, not the trans. Your transmission is from one of those cars. Some of these transmissions came with a plug in the hole, some simply didn't have the hole machined. If yours has the plug, it is possible to remove it and install the speedo gear holder so you can run a cable. You'll also need to pull the tailhousing and install a drive gear on the output shaft. If your case isn't machined for the hole, you are S.O.L.
Old August 8th, 2014, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
More specifically, the 1965-70 Delta 88 and Ninety Eight drove the speedo cable from the left front wheel, not the trans.
Anyone know why Olds did that? Seems to be a more complicated way of getting road speed to the dashboard (the cable would have to flex U/D/L/R w/ the spindle, no?). I always thought this was wierd on my buddy's dad's '70 98, when he told me the speedo pickup was on the front wheel, I didn't believe him until he punched it and spun the rear tires and the speedo hardly moved. Seems that the only benefit would be that you could switch tire size or rear gear ratios without having to re-gear the speedo cable, yet these cars weren't exactly ripe candidates for doing that.

Last edited by JohnnyBs68S; August 8th, 2014 at 09:35 AM.
Old August 8th, 2014, 07:06 PM

So if it is not drilled for it then I would need a new transmission? Is there any other way to determine mph without a new trans?
Old August 10th, 2014, 11:38 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by irkennedy
So if it is not drilled for it then I would need a new transmission?
Well, a new case at a minimum.

Is there any other way to determine mph without a new trans?
From Post # 3 above:

Originally Posted by hookem horns
In the meantime, get the Speed Box app for your phone - simple, accurate and FREE. I got it to check the speedo accuracy of the Cutlass and the boat. If you have a tach in the car, use the app to check your speed at various RPM's once in top gear (2500 = 60mph, etc).
Old August 10th, 2014, 12:14 PM

I was told if the tranny doesn't have the provision for the speedo, the drive shaft of the tranny will not be machined to accept the speedo drive gear.
Old August 10th, 2014, 12:17 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 4speed455
I was told if the tranny doesn't have the provision for the speedo, the drive shaft of the tranny will not be machined to accept the speedo drive gear.
The long tail output shafts are the same. The drive gear just wasn't pressed into place.