The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Travelling North America in a 72 Cutlass

Search this Thread

Old July 31st, 2012 | 02:40 PM

Back in Michigan

I'm now back at my uncle's in southwest Michigan, with the car running better than it was for most of the trip across the West.

Devils Tower, Wyoming:

QWW33.jpg

Mount Rushmore, South Dakota (honestly, it's there. Tough to find a good spot to get the car and the monument in the picture):

yM10z.jpg

The unfinished Crazy Horse monument, South Dakota:

0wTKG.jpg

Minuteman missile site, South Dakota:

t6W4Z.jpg

Badlands National Park, South Dakota:

F0p1U.jpg

North Dakota State Capitol, Bismarck, ND:

Glm9J.jpg

From North Dakota I went into Minnesota, where I met up with Brian (1971four4two on the forum), who kindly helped me with a number of the issues I was having. We fitted his spare 3-row (golden) radiator which immediately solved my cooling issues, and had a look at the brakes. On the driver's side, the drum was very tough to remove. This was the view:

EtgIK.jpg

On the left, the hold-down pin, and washer were missing, ground into dust inside the drum. The remains of the spring were floating around inside:

NMlDB.jpg

$8 spent at the parts store:

d1wJA.jpg

(spot the new part)

My car alongside Brian's:

L3IB0.jpg

Huge thanks to Brian for his help and hospitality.

I then carried on to Wisconsin, where I met up with Dave, who along with his wife kindly fed and sheltered me for the night, as well as showing me his beautiful 62 Dynamic 88, as well as his pair of Cadillacs, one from 1955, one from 1992. Thanks to Dave and Jean for their kindness and hospitality.

Heading north I stopped at Road America for a nose around:

uyFKG.jpg

In Green Bay I had a look at Lambeau Field ...

OeUP0.jpg

... before arriving at my stop for the night, camping in the National Forest in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan:

Y2m23.jpg

I was no longer an obvious tourist, with the car back in its home state. Seeing as it was built in Lansing, it's nice to keep the Michigan connection.

Whitefish Point Lighthouse, 16 miless off which the Edmund Fitzgerald sank:

bIG84.jpg

Another of the Lake Superior lighthouses:

oXHE4.jpg

The International Bridge at Sault Ste Marie:

u97s0.jpg

I then turned south on the home leg back to my uncle's. I stopped for a view of the famous Mackinac Bridge;

uJ194.jpg

So I'm back, had a couple of days relaxing and now back to focusing on the car. I've done about 36,000 miles now since owning it. I am planning to attend the Red Barns show at the Gilmore on Saturday, also I am thinking of making a trip out to Detroit some time while I'm here where I'd love to meet up with some of the Olds owners in the area. Closer to home, anyone in the Kalamazoo / Battle Creek area?

I'm a little confused by my battery mounting problem which I'd like to fix. I currently have a plastic battery tray, which has cracked on the bottom and a piece on the side has snapped off. I have a hold down clamp, but have no idea where it would go. How is my battery supposed to be secured in a 72? Anyone got a picture or diagram? I've had a look on the net and battery trays are easy to find, any thought on which is highest quality?

I'm thinking I can now remove the hose the Vegas mechanic added, from the transmission vent tube to the dipstick. I see the service manual calls for a change of transmission fluid and filter, is this still advisable with modern transmission fluid? Any suggestions on service jobs I should do? I changed oil and filter at Brian's, I have just bought a new air filter and fuel filter, and will check diff oil level (thanks Brian for suggesting this). Last time I bought a emission canister filter only to discover it is not hooked up.

To answer some questions/comments:

Rob - thanks for your detailed reply, I will definitely have a look at those valves. The AC is not quite right for sure. Here in Michigan it's not as hot as it was in SD, but still the humidity is high enough I would like it working.

Naming the car - honestly I've never given a car a name. Just isn't something I do. I have definitely developed an emotional attachment to the car though.

1969oldsH - I don't stay in one place too long in general, that's true - mainly because I wouldn't be able to get to everywhere in time. If I stay somewhere longer, it's always because I have friends or family that can put me up easily. Sometimes I would like to stay longer somewhere, but I have to be ruthless and keep driving.

btrbill - I'll have left the country and the car will be on a ship by the time those shows come around. I'll let you know when I'm your area though.

zippy - not though about that, I'm travelling alone so I'm always behind the camera. I'll try to get a picture of me and the car on here.

Last edited by Zindon; July 31st, 2012 at 02:49 PM. Reason: answering some specific questions
Old July 31st, 2012 | 09:07 PM

Oliver the dim alt light is caused from a failed diode in the alternator there are three of them one for each winding in one package commonly called a diode trio or diode pack. I bet the light pulsates by the engine rpm that is because one diode is shorted out allowing the lower portion of the alternating current (AC) to pass to the battery. As the engine rpm goes up the AC frequency goes up causing the light to flicker faster. You can replace the diode trio just take the alternator off the car then there are a few screws holding the alternator together take them off and open the case you will see it straight away. Remove the diode trio and apply some dielectric grease to the three contact points of the new one and install it the same way you removed the old one. Put the case back together and install it back in the car. If you are planning on a trip to Milwaukee WI send me a e-mail or pm I always have room for another Oldsmobile plenty of tools, cold beer not that warm stuff

Last edited by Chuck_66; August 1st, 2012 at 12:09 AM.
Old August 2nd, 2012 | 07:02 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Zindon
I'm a little confused by my battery mounting problem which I'd like to fix. I currently have a plastic battery tray, which has cracked on the bottom and a piece on the side has snapped off. I have a hold down clamp, but have no idea where it would go. How is my battery supposed to be secured in a 72? Anyone got a picture or diagram? I've had a look on the net and battery trays are easy to find, any thought on which is highest quality?
I could be wrong about your '72, but as far as I know, all battery trays are stamped steel, which means your is non-original, which means anything goes as far as attaching it.

If it's important to you to have the right one, then I'm sure a member here could find one to sell you.

The original battery tray should have a ridge all around the edge, with two "tabs" that rise higher than the ridge and have slots in them. The two hold-down rods (threaded rods with hooked ends) should engage these slots, and the cross-piece then slides over the threaded portions of the rods and is secured to them, holding the battery down. It is possible that one half of this cross-piece accepts a threaded rod and the other half screws to the core support as well (I've seen so many different arrangements over the years that I really can't remember perfectly).

Since you don't have an original tray, and since the plastic tray you do have is broken, though, a couple of carefully arranged bungie cords should do fine, and may be stronger than the original system was.

Originally Posted by Zindon
I'm thinking I can now remove the hose the Vegas mechanic added, from the transmission vent tube to the dipstick. I see the service manual calls for a change of transmission fluid and filter, is this still advisable with modern transmission fluid?
If you've hit the service interval, I'd change the fluid.
There are some differences (improvements?) between newer and older fluids, but I've not heard of them affecting change intervals.
You may as well change the fluid, filter, and gasket, and I agree that you don't need the hose if the engine's now running cool.

As for other things to check: Get 'er up in the air and give 'er a good once-over.
Recheck your brakes, check ball joints and tie rods, check suspension bushings, check U-joints, check wheel bearings, check hoses for leaks, check exhaust hangers and clamps, put a bit of grease on things that move (hinges and latches, transmission linkage, etc.).

We're all envious of your trip!

- Eric
Old August 2nd, 2012 | 07:54 AM
Cutlass Lover

God, what a wonderful journey you've had!! Next time, stop and pick me up, lol. I'd love to do something like that. I've been to a lot of the places in your pic's - I love the West. It's just sooooo beautiful out there. I've been to the UP also, as I have an ex brother in law who lives in Eastpointe now, but grew up around Grayling. He took us up to Sault Ste Marie once - I thought the locks were pretty neat. I loved the Edmund Fitzgerald museum there. I brought home some pretty rocks from Lake Superior and put them in my fish tank, lol. Beautiful country up there. Glad you made it back safely. Thank you so much for sharing your trip with us!
Old August 4th, 2012 | 08:04 AM
MOTORHEAD

Hey Olly

Glad your Olds car took you to michigan without any more trouble. By your pictures it looks like you took the scenic route again. Thanks for sharing the cool photos from along the way.

Brother where you bound??

Cheers
Brian MN
Old August 8th, 2012 | 12:29 PM

Attached is a pic of Ollie and his Olds preparing to depart Milwaukee, WI after an overnight stay.

The ugly dude standing alongside the car is me!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Ollie2.JPG (224.0 KB, 145 views)
Old August 8th, 2012 | 01:17 PM

If you get out to California again, I'm sure a few of us would join you for a small leg of your trip.
Old August 8th, 2012 | 02:19 PM

Dave - glad you finally get his mug on this thread! That was kind of you to provide accomidations for the weary traveler.
I still can't believe he did over 30k miles in such a short time!
Old August 8th, 2012 | 03:45 PM

What a Great way to travel and see some of the great sites of North America along the way.

Last edited by bentlyf1; August 8th, 2012 at 03:48 PM. Reason: missed spelled words
Old August 8th, 2012 | 04:15 PM
Administrator

Damn the trips over? I was just enjoying all pic's. Looks like he had a blast and made a lot of new friends!
Old August 8th, 2012 | 04:47 PM

Great trip Oliver! Hey, why don't we make this thread a "sticky" for others to find easily and see?
Old August 15th, 2012 | 09:42 AM

The trip is not over, I am leaving Michigan in the next couple of days to head south. Kentucky, Tennessee, Missouri, Mississippi and Alabama to go, then Houston to ship the car home. Thanks again to Dave and Jean for their hospitality - and the picture.
Old August 17th, 2012 | 03:47 PM

Oliver, thanks for sharing your wild adventure. I admire your choice in vehicles, your itinerary, sights chosen, drive..... Also I love the way you take pictures with your Cutlass positioned as the main object of interest. I"m glad you're enjoying the USA.
Old September 8th, 2012 | 08:01 PM
MOTORHEAD

Hey Olly

I checked on you today and it looks like you are in Mississippi.
Hope all goes well.
Cheers
Brian
Old September 14th, 2012 | 04:39 PM

Sorry for the lack of updates, I am still alive. My laptop has broken which is very frustrating as I have to use my phone for everything. I am now in Houston so am pretty much done. Only issue is the brakes are making unpleasant noises again Shipping is arranged so in a couple of months I should be Oldsmobiling around Great Britain.
Old September 15th, 2012 | 09:30 AM

Bon voyage with respect to both you and the Olds! Great having you as a guest in the good ol' U. S. of A.
Old September 16th, 2012 | 03:09 AM

I do hope this means the adventure continues when you gat back to the UK with your car... Some pics by big ben? stonehenge? the lakes distrct?

Just saying, the adventure needs to continue! we need inspiration while working on our cars!
Old September 16th, 2012 | 08:34 AM

Zindon, too bad your adventure is coming to a close...
There are a few great members there in Houston who might be able to get your brakes fixed, or at least be able to help you get all the parts you need to ship back with the car so you can fix it back in the UK.
You did what I have always wanted to do and I envy that. I am glad you had a fun time and you will certainly cherish the memories.
Hope you and your car have a safe trip back home. Keep us updated on future events!!
Old February 4th, 2014 | 02:31 PM
MOTORHEAD

where is olly

what an epic road trip
Old February 10th, 2014 | 07:06 PM
MOTORHEAD

Latest from the traveler

I'll get back on the Classic Oldsmobile forum once I get the car out again and start tinkering.

Take care,

Olly
Old July 30th, 2017 | 06:10 PM
MOTORHEAD

where is olly now???

Hope he still has his olds car
and
vagabond
spirit

cheers
b
Old July 30th, 2017 | 06:49 PM
Administrator

Can't believe its been 3 years since that trip. It was a great read again.
Old August 1st, 2017 | 04:42 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

If I see a car like Olly's at any shows over here I'll see if I can find anything out.

Roger.
Old August 1st, 2017 | 10:59 AM

This thread will never get old. What an awesome trip. Hope he still has the car, but if not, he has a ton of great memories!
Old August 2nd, 2017 | 09:32 PM
Forward into the Past

Great story indeed. Wish I had known when you were traveling through North Carolina. You probably passed right through my city on your way from to the Outer Banks from West Virginia.

For what it's worth, a lot of chain auto parts stores like AutoZone will loan out tools for free and let you work on your car in their parking lot. I've also had them offer to lend a hand for a few minutes if things are slow inside the store. One time when I bought a battery at AutoZone, the guy left a wrench (spanner) behind when he installed the battery.
Old April 23rd, 2021 | 09:53 AM
Oldsdruid

I think this thread deserves to bump BTT again for a while.😃
Old April 23rd, 2021 | 10:16 AM

Whew, for a minute, I thought he was still on the road. 😝
Old April 24th, 2021 | 04:47 AM

Amazing! Glad you bumped it up, I never saw it before. Ollie, you still out there?
Old April 24th, 2021 | 05:10 AM
1972 Cutlass Town Sedan

Wow, thanks for the bump, what a great read, I really hope to get out to BC one of theses days, the west coast both sides of the boarder is just beautiful.
Old April 24th, 2021 | 08:36 AM
Chevy budget Olds powered

I read through this again. What an epic journey.
Old April 24th, 2021 | 11:23 AM

This was really fun to read again! Thanks for the refresh.
Old July 30th, 2022 | 09:54 PM
MOTORHEAD

Was Quality time when OLLY had breakdown half close to my garage
I modified his cooling RAD
and he went into the ghetto with my DADDIO to get front drum brake parts
METAL on METAL since the mountains

I hope to see his oldsmobile in my driveway again

Give a HOOT dont Pollute thread
Old July 13th, 2023 | 05:54 AM

Just came across this post for the 1st time. Such a incredible story, kinda stirs you up to make a road trip. Has there been any news from him?
Old July 28th, 2023 | 07:42 AM

All I can say is wow, what an awesome experience, the hot rod power tour has nothing on that Oldsmobile, excellent post
Old September 17th, 2023 | 01:57 AM

Great story Oliver! I'll repeat what others have said that you have travelled more of the country than many that live here. Many Brits don't really grasp the size of USA and Canada. I have relatives in Somerset and they contacted us once to say they were landing in Gander NL, would stay the day then drive over to Toronto ON in the afternoon - lol!