The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Timing & distributor cap question

Search this Thread

Old June 22nd, 2014, 06:32 AM

Timing & distributor cap question

Hello. I'm new to the forum. I have just recently bought 1984 Cutlass Calais 307 Y vin. I do a lot of my own work but with this one I took it to a guy to help me with a blown head gasket. While he was doing the engine work I went ahead and asked him to change my plugs, distributor cap, and rotor button. Before anything was done to the car, I had great power and the ignition started on a quarter turn. When I got it back, I have lost some power, doesn't turn over as well and will not stay in time. He has the distributor cap sitting is at the 12-6 o'clock position and everyone I have seen is at 9-3 o'clock position. I really hope I am making this clear. I really feel the cap is not correct plus he didn't tighten it down as it will move while driving and with little effort by hand I can move it. I am at a loss at what to do. If anyone can send me some feedback I would appreciate it.
Old June 22nd, 2014, 06:43 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Ummmmm... Tighten the four screws that hold the cap on?

Or, how about this - Maybe take it back to the professional mechanic who screwed it up?

Welcome to ClassicOlds.

- Eric
Old June 22nd, 2014, 06:55 AM

Thanks. Yes I'm taking it back to him but wanted to see if I could fix the issue myself. At this point I am discourage with the mechanic so that's why I was seeking advice on here. Problems he had no idea how to fix I have done by reading in the forum so I thought someone could offer some advice. I don't want him screwing anything else up at this point.
Old June 22nd, 2014, 07:08 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Your description of the problem is fairly vague, other than the one specific point that the cap appears to be physically loose.

Therefore, making certain that it is "keyed in" properly and fastening all four screws properly would be your first step.

If that doesn't fix it, we need more information, likely more than you can provide.

And if this guy wasn't qualified to attach a distributor cap, I would hate to think of what he might have done when replacing a head gasket.

- Eric
Old June 22nd, 2014, 07:26 AM

Does the position of distributor look correct?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (78.1 KB, 20 views)
Old June 22nd, 2014, 07:32 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I can't tell at all from that picture.

The position of the distributor and cap is determined by setting the timing with a timing light, not by visual inspection.

- Eric
Old June 22nd, 2014, 07:54 AM

My thoughts as well. Thanks. Believe I will have someone else check it out. It was just running so good before he put new plugs, distributer cap and rotor button on.
Old June 22nd, 2014, 08:16 AM

I am hearing that you are concerned that the terminals on the cap are not in "the right" position. In reality, that matters ONLY to convenience of accessing them, and to make sure they do not hit things like the firewall. You are correct that USUALLY the cap's terminals are directly to the car's left side. More or less.

As long as the wires match the rotor's position, the orientation of the cap is of little concern.

However, of greater concern is a loose distributor. That will allow the timing to vary uncontrolled and result in anything from low power output to overheating to detonation and engine destruction. "Timing matters"

Maybe give that guy one more chance. Take it in and explain the symptoms, but not too much. See if he notices the dist'r is loose and considers that a problem. See if he sets the timing with a timing light and then secures the distributor. If not, take it elsewhere for proper work, and send the bill to him. That's just incompetent if it wasn't an isolated incident.

Just before leaving I might ensure the dist'r is tight and if not point that out and call him on the carpet and then explain about the bill he can expect to get soon. And I would be worried about the head gasket work done by that feller.
Old June 22nd, 2014, 09:39 AM
Administrator

^^^^^Octania explained it very well.
Old June 22nd, 2014, 11:24 AM
Old(s) Fart

Most "mechanics" have no idea how to properly adjust the CCC system on your car. The adjustment procedure in the factory service manual must be followed exactly. Be sure you or whoever works on the car has a manual, reads it, and follows the instructions.